Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:13 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacht View Post
It isn't? I think that you should inform the people at Merriam-Webster.
Thanks for confirming my case.
See, "sometimes" and "often" are noteworthy and vague weasel words used by Merriam-Webster to indicate that some folks may use "redneck" improperly, when the root connotation is neutral regarding laboring class.

"Sometimes?" Okay, 1% of the time would qualify, meaning 99% of the time the usage would be innocuous, or even endearing.
"Often?" Wow, maybe negative 5%-10% of the time? Hold on...I'm ciphering it out.... 90%-95% innocuous. Hmm. I'll live with it.

Glad to help you out here with a clarification of what your dictionary is telling you.
Ta Ta!
Off to save the world in another venue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 09:25 AM

191 posts, read 236,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Thanks for confirming my case.
See, "sometimes" and "often" are noteworthy and vague weasel words used by Merriam-Webster to indicate that some folks may use "redneck" improperly, when the root connotation is neutral regarding laboring class.

"Sometimes?" Okay, 1% of the time would qualify, meaning 99% of the time the usage would be innocuous, or even endearing.
"Often?" Wow, maybe negative 5%-10% of the time? Hold on...I'm ciphering it out.... 90%-95% innocuous. Hmm. I'll live with it.

Glad to help you out here with a clarification of what your dictionary is telling you.
Ta Ta!
Off to save the world in another venue.
So what you're saying is that you're in favor of racism and classism at least some of the time?

Old 04-27-2007, 09:26 AM

95 posts, read 286,725 times
Should I be offended that my husband calls me his "Okie girl"? I come from a line of rednecks, folks who were farmers working in the fields for generations. I ain't ashamed of it or offended by it.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:42 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThreeBs View Post
Should I be offended that my husband calls me his "Okie girl"? I come from a line of rednecks, folks who were farmers working in the fields for generations. I ain't ashamed of it or offended by it.
Like I say...I like rednecks...I married one!!!

Vicki

Old 04-27-2007, 09:45 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Default My $0.04 (everything cost more in NY)

I'm a New Yorker, born and raised (and soon to be transplanted). Some have generously enhanced that title with the occasional profanity (e.g. @#$@#$ New Yorker). I have lived in two different areas of the New York City area and never experienced a name change. I've been working for a company based up in Buffalo, NY which is further away from where I've lived my entire life than Atlanta is from Raleigh. They're New Yorker's as well though our way of life is about as different as, say, New York and North Carolina.

In a recent conversation with my realtor about our pending relocation to Raleigh she referred to us as "future Tar Heels". I must tell you that having a new handle like that is likely to be more of a shock for my system than anything else involved with relocating.

The rest of my family loved the thought of acquiring the new "Tar Heel" handle. My oldest can't wait to be associated with UNC.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:34 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThreeBs View Post
My husband calls me a "swamp grubber". I grew up in Eastern NC and there is quiet a bit of swamp land on my parents property. But honestly, I had a great time playing in the swamps when I was a kid. So yeah, I'm a swamp grubber and proud of!

BTW, my hubby is the same guy who called me a pinko, commie, liberal on our first date. LOL! I'd never had anyone call me that so I was intrigued. So you just never know.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:51 AM

607 posts, read 2,431,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
So what if your from Lizard lick NC? are a lizard licker
Hey now!!! Don't even start with the Lizard jokes.

I am with you Vicki, lighten up folks, it is Friday, take a deep breath and enjoy a woman who can tease her husband. I took it as a affectionate term.

Liz

Old 04-27-2007, 10:55 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
We are Tarheels, we do not break it down by city, it must be a northern thing,
It sure is. B/C the state is so divers- we have a huge city, lots of smaller ones, suburbs, farms, mountains, beaches... it is so diverse that to say you are a NYer does not tell much about you at all- you could be a latte-sipping socialite or a farmer!

Old 04-27-2007, 12:06 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Hey now!!! Don't even start with the Lizard jokes.

I am with you Vicki, lighten up folks, it is Friday, take a deep breath and enjoy a woman who can tease her husband. I took it as a affectionate term.

Liz
Thank you, Liz. Thats exactly how I meant it. Amazing how perceptions can be so different, some so right and some so wrong.

Vicki

Old 04-27-2007, 01:17 PM

112 posts, read 258,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I'm a New Yorker, born and raised (and soon to be transplanted). Some have generously enhanced that title with the occasional profanity (e.g. @#$@#$ New Yorker). I have lived in two different areas of the New York City area and never experienced a name change. I've been working for a company based up in Buffalo, NY which is further away from where I've lived my entire life than Atlanta is from Raleigh. They're New Yorker's as well though our way of life is about as different as, say, New York and North Carolina.

In a recent conversation with my realtor about our pending relocation to Raleigh she referred to us as "future Tar Heels". I must tell you that having a new handle like that is likely to be more of a shock for my system than anything else involved with relocating.

The rest of my family loved the thought of acquiring the new "Tar Heel" handle. My oldest can't wait to be associated with UNC.

Don't you consider it ironic that you want to be called Tar Heels considering how natives of this state earned that nickname?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary