Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 03:43 PM

282 posts, read 820,050 times

Advertisements

Stop by the Wake SPCA (SPCA of Wake County: Welcome to the SPCA of Wake County, Raleigh, NC) Even if they don't have what you are looking for they will take down your information and call whenever a match comes in. They then give priority adoption to those on that list.

Thank you for choosing to a adopt rather then buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 05:12 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,077 times
I second Wake County Animal Shelter - I've adopted two from them, and couldn't be more pleased. The pricing is more than reasonable, and the animals there are so sad.......

Old 09-09-2009, 08:54 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
Got both of mine on petfinder.org and neither had major issues. I contacted the shelters and rather than focusing on breed, I told them about my lifestyle and they pointed me toward animals that were well-behaved (because that's kind of what I needed). Then I did some dog training at Teamworks for fun. Good luck!

Old 09-10-2009, 04:50 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I know you aren't looking for a large dog, but in case anyone else is considering adoption:

Welcome to Project Racing Home

They always have a kennel full of beautiful dogs waiting for homes. I've had retired racing greyhounds as pets for 14 years now, and doubt I'll ever have anything else (well, maybe a whippet, for some size differential!).

Old 09-10-2009, 05:41 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,186 times
I've had several small rescue dogs over the years - a purebred bichon frise from the Wake SPCA, a bichon/poodle mix from the Greensboro SPCA (they list their dogs on petfinder and are great to work with), and a shih tzu mix from the Greensboro SPCA.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:36 AM

178 posts, read 549,787 times
SHELTER DOG TUESDAY AT ANIMALL

EVERY TUESDAY FROM 11AM-4PM

AniMall is reaching out to dogs in need from local county shelters. Every Tuesday AniMall will be hosting a shelter dog for the day (11am-4pm). While at AniMall he or she will get treats, love, exercise and hopefully - interest from a would-be adopter! All adoption applications will be processed through the county shelter. View available dogs.
(http://www.animall.org/shelter-dog-spotlight/ - broken link)

The above info is from Cary Towne Center - Sales & Events (http://www.shopcarytownecentermall.com/shop/carytowne.nsf/sales_events - broken link)

Shelter Dog Spotlight (http://www.animall.org/shelter-dog-spotlight/ - broken link)

Maybe you could let them know the specific breed and they can help you locate a dog needing a home.

Good luck! Our two kitties, Pepito and Bella, are adopted from rescue groups and bring us much love.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:06 PM

260 posts, read 545,291 times
We got our newest girl from Palisades rescue through Petfinder.com. Remember that rescue groups often rescue the animals from horrible situations. Many do have health or behavior issues that need to be worked through. Breed specific rescues can be real pains in the butt with their rules - like you must have an actual physical fence or can't have small children.
This is our second rescue dog and she is a sweetheart. She has some behavior issues, but really just wants to be loved and accepted.

Good luck finding a new addition!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:13 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
We were at our vet today (info below) and they had a female chihuahua available for adoption. She really was a sweet little girl and all she wanted to do was be held by the nurses/staff. Her sister was already adopted so she is all by herself now. If I didn't just get my two little guys, she would have been a possibility for us :-)

Bowman Animal Hospital
8308 Creedmoor Road
Raleigh NC
919-847-6216

Old 09-10-2009, 06:47 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighkc View Post
I've had several small rescue dogs over the years - a purebred bichon frise from the Wake SPCA, a bichon/poodle mix from the Greensboro SPCA (they list their dogs on petfinder and are great to work with), and a shih tzu mix from the Greensboro SPCA.
I also got my girl from the Greensboro SPCA. They were very nice and I had no problem at all adopting from them. It was a very quick process and my girl greeted me at the door ready to go! I found her through petfinder.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:01 PM

51 posts, read 230,346 times
This shelter is a few hours away, but they always seem to have little dogs:
Available Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary