Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 03:47 PM

133 posts, read 711,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrbmw View Post
This is a little discouraging. Out of everything I've read Cary seems like the place I want to go.
Have you visited the area? Cary specifically? That would probably help to clarify some things for you. People on this forum are full of opinions, which varies and are sometimes contradictory. That's all good! But don't make your decisions based solely on someone's post. Go for a visit and form your own opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 03:52 PM

146 posts, read 691,277 times
Cary is what it is - a suburb. If you're looking for a thriving urban center, then it won't be for you - look more into Raleigh or Durham instead. We didn't move to Cary because we thought it was the most "exciting" - we moved here because it is a beautiful, quiet area that's great for raising kids, and convenient to the entire Triangle: RTP, RDU, Durham, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:54 PM

59 posts, read 268,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
For 34 years, I've been married to the most beautiful girl in the world.
She lives in Cary.

I find Cary to be fascinating!
Your mama raised you well. Any chance you have a single brother?

Old 05-01-2007, 04:08 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,233,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
The things that the OP specifically mentioned about Cary can be also be found throughout the triangle, such as chain stores and restaurants everywhere, cookie cutter homes, large homes on small lots and storm doors.

If you limit the Triangle to Wake County perhaps....

I don't find those features to necessarily be true of Chapel Hill, Durham, Hillsborough, Pittsboro....

I don't think Cary is representative of the Triangle

Old 05-01-2007, 04:13 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
For 34 years, I've been married to the most beautiful girl in the world.
She lives in Cary.

I find Cary to be fascinating!
Mike;
You are so romantic, I hope your wife appreciates you....
Plus you are funny.

Liz

Old 05-01-2007, 04:27 PM

306 posts, read 1,306,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
How interesting are you?

Do you paint/sculpt/write? Do you run road races/compete in orienteering events? Do you dress entirely in black/white/grey as if you were in a film noir movie?

Perhaps if we knew more about you we could assess where you fall on the continuum of interesting and dull. Then we could have a clearer idea of which Triangle communities would suit you best.

So tell us about all the ways in which you are not vanilla.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:27 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,671,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
If you limit the Triangle to Wake County perhaps....

I don't find those features to necessarily be true of Chapel Hill, Durham, Hillsborough, Pittsboro....

I don't think Cary is representative of the Triangle
There are plent of areas in Wake County that aren't cookie cutter-like. I do agree that Cary is not the whole of the Triangle....people from other locations just keep hearing about it in the national press and think it's the best the area has to offer.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:09 PM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Mike;
You are so romantic, I hope your wife appreciates you....
Plus you are funny.

Liz
Thanks, Liz.

Geeeee, I hope she does, too!

Old 05-01-2007, 07:05 PM

359 posts, read 1,838,887 times
We spent time in Cary on 2 of the days we were there. My kids played at a park on Walnut. And Hubby and I shopped at different places, chain and independent. I expected Cary to be vanilla, but found it quite interesting, beautiful, and even walkable. There is a shopping center of some size on a lot of corners which makes getting what you need quick and easy. The only reason we are not looking to live there is the small backyards.

As for the glass door, I love that. I grew up with that in VA and folks in the midwest do it too. It's welcoming and lets light in. A screen door lets your a/c or heat escape.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:25 PM

478 posts, read 2,046,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpea View Post
Perhaps if we knew more about you we could assess where you fall on the continuum of interesting and dull. Then we could have a clearer idea of which Triangle communities would suit you best.
We absolutely love Chapel Hill, close to UNC. So I think we've found many locations which are interesting and cultured. Certainly the home prices we're seeing in Chapel Hill reflect a highly desirable area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary