U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-01-2007, 08:48 PM
 
140 posts, read 595,700 times
Reputation: 121

Advertisements

Just moved to the area from NH (wish I had found this forum earlier) I need to bring desert to a dinner party. Looking for someplace that makes good Cheesecakes/ pastry dishes.

I know I can do the Cheesecake factory by I prefer to keep that mass produced frozen and shipped stuff as a last resort. Trying to support the local business.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2007, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Wake Forest
2,834 posts, read 11,467,305 times
Reputation: 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Head View Post
Just moved to the area from NH (wish I had found this forum earlier) I need to bring desert to a dinner party. Looking for someplace that makes good Cheesecakes/ pastry dishes.

I know I can do the Cheesecake factory by I prefer to keep that mass produced frozen and shipped stuff as a last resort. Trying to support the local business.
I have used blue moon bakery (http://www.bluemoonbakery.com) in cary (downtown cary) and they are quite good. I have ordered the cakes but also eaten the pastries in the shop...........both are very good.

Hope this helps
Leigh
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2007, 09:45 PM
 
1,246 posts, read 3,968,035 times
Reputation: 1067
I've never had a cake from Blue Moon, but I hear they are wonderful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2007, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Durham, NC
2,024 posts, read 5,618,985 times
Reputation: 3474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Head View Post
Just moved to the area from NH (wish I had found this forum earlier) I need to bring desert to a dinner party. Looking for someplace that makes good Cheesecakes/ pastry dishes.

I know I can do the Cheesecake factory by I prefer to keep that mass produced frozen and shipped stuff as a last resort. Trying to support the local business.
Lots of good choices... don't know for 100% sure about cheesecakes, but any of these would be hits at parties for desserts, cakes, baked goods--

Mad Hatters
Guglhupf
Foster's Market
Rue Cler (limited dessert items, but great baked goods)

Not that you could get this take-out, but Magnolia Grill in Durham features a James Beard-award winning pastry chef... mmmm!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2007, 09:52 PM
 
140 posts, read 595,700 times
Reputation: 121
Thanks Leigh, just ordered thier key lime cheescake online
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2007, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
8,269 posts, read 23,742,621 times
Reputation: 5569
Blue Moon is very good for the most part, We ordered our wedding cake from Blue Moon and it was FANTASTIC. We had rave reviews on that cake and I swore I would order everything from there from then on! But I also ordered my daughter's birthday cake from there this year and it was pretty average. No better than a grocery store cake and 3x's the price. I've never had their cheesecake, but I'll happily skip up there tomorrow for a sample if you'd like! It's walking distance from my house and I pass by there every day!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2007, 10:26 PM
 
140 posts, read 595,700 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Blue Moon is very good for the most part, We ordered our wedding cake from Blue Moon and it was FANTASTIC. We had rave reviews on that cake and I swore I would order everything from there from then on! But I also ordered my daughter's birthday cake from there this year and it was pretty average. No better than a grocery store cake and 3x's the price. I've never had their cheesecake, but I'll happily skip up there tomorrow for a sample if you'd like! It's walking distance from my house and I pass by there every day!

That would be great Lamishra, I can still cancel the order if you find it's not up to snuff. I prefer a New York style cheescake that is rich and thick (I hate when shops use water instead of milk as a filler when mixing).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2007, 07:22 AM
 
473 posts, read 1,431,295 times
Reputation: 393
Alimentari is a short drive for you, right off the 540, on Capital Blvd in Plantation Square. The sign says "DELI", but they have unbelievable desserts. I hear they also cater, and do special cakes by request.

The cannoli's pretty damn great, too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2007, 07:28 AM
 
1,936 posts, read 5,594,475 times
Reputation: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Lots of good choices... don't know for 100% sure about cheesecakes, but any of these would be hits at parties for desserts, cakes, baked goods--

Mad Hatters
Guglhupf
Foster's Market
Those were my suggestions as well
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top