Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:57 PM

238 posts, read 228,087 times

Advertisements

I've already read negative things about Briarcliff. I drove through some homes around Maynard road and was really surprised--a few houses looked as though they are rented (owned?) by illegal immigrants--the type of problem we have in the Northern Virginia area (about 10 cars or more crammed into the front yard, etc.)

Which schools are the ones to avoid? Which schools are the "shining stars" of Cary? I'm not sure if I would even send my child to a public school since I support alternative education such as Montessori, but I would like to buy in a good district where the house would increase in worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 07:12 PM

Hmm did my title scare folks off? I have only read negative things about the Briarcliff school--something to the effect of forced busing from inner city areas. Not sure if this is true!

Old 05-02-2007, 07:15 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
Hmm did my title scare folks off?
Patience grasshopper. It's only been 15 minutes since your original post.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:16 PM

Hi Bta,

I'm sure you've noticed by now that patience is not one of my fortes. On the other hand, when fishing it's good to throw out a larger net--higher chance of reeling something in!

Old 05-02-2007, 07:18 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,671,364 times
Quote:
I've already read negative things about Briarcliff. I drove through some homes around Maynard road and was really surprised--a few houses looked as though they are rented (owned?) by illegal immigrants--the type of problem we have in the Northern Virginia area (about 10 cars or more crammed into the front yard, etc.)

Which schools are the ones to avoid? Which schools are the "shining stars" of Cary? I'm not sure if I would even send my child to a public school since I support alternative education such as Montessori, but I would like to buy in a good district where the house would increase in worth.
Cary is park of the Wake County school district. It's a good district. Perfect, no, but one of the best urban districts in the nation. Wake County balances it's schools by economic level. You are going to have a wide variety of students in all schools. You aren't going to just have the wealthy of Cary in one school and everyone else in another.

Take a look at the schools yourself....not just some one's second hand information. I've never heard anything bad about Briarcliff. One of my daughter's friends went to elementary school there.....she is a very 'on the ball' and well-educated middle schooler. It offers some great afterschool clubs.

Oh, in NC, 10 cars in the yard doesn't mean a family are illegal aliens from any country.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:20 PM

Good to know. They were a bunch of Hispanic guys hanging out in the yard swilling beers--no women, which indicates it wasn't a family, though.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:28 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times
Default I don't usually comment on schools but ......

I don't personally know anything about Briarcliff, but below are the last three reviews I found doing a quick and dirty search online. Not that I trust online reviews 100%, but it seems like these folks like Briarcliff. I would definitely visit the school or any school for that matter if schools are important to you.

I can't think of any area in Cary I would avoid.

Last three reviews off greatschools.net for Briarcliff Elementary:

Quote:
"We love this school! We have a first grader here and couldn't be happier with the teachers, principal, and environment for our child. He is accelerated, and is given every challenge he needs. They even have a chess club that is full with a waiting list!"
Quote:
"All public schools face tremendous challenges in this era of under-funding and 'No Child Left Behind'. Briarcliff has found a way to overcome these challenges through a friendly, understanding, and parent-inclusive environment. Briarcliff has proven to be a caring and nurturing school for my child through the leadership of the prinicple (who takes an interest in the well-being of each and every kid), the administrative staff, and wonderful teachers who consistently have shown a personal interest in the success of my child. The parent community is highly involved in Briarcliff, fostering extra-curricular activites, tutoring at need, and enrichment opportunites seldom encoutered outside a Magnet school."
Quote:
"I have been a part of 2 schools in Wake County. Now that I am at Briarcliff, I wouldn't trade back for anything. The adminstration really determines the quality of a school and Briarcliff's is second to none. Mr. Regan interacts with the kids on a daily basis and calls them by name. Mr. Regan and Mrs. Gorman are both quick to respond to any concerns that are voiced. The teachers are extremely patient, caring, and kind. They are enthusiastic about teaching and put the needs of the kids as top priority. As a parent, I have always felt welcome in the classroom and the school. Honestly, I wouldn't move anywhere that would require me to put my kids in a different school!"

Old 05-02-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Hmm did my title scare folks off? I have only read negative things about the Briarcliff school--something to the effect of forced busing from inner city areas. Not sure if this is true!
I don't even know where to begin to address the misconceptions in that post.

Inner city kids are not 'bussed' to the suburbs to ruin the schools. If anything, suburban kids are 'bussed' into inner city schools as part of the magnet program that have thousands of parents trying to get into.

A child in Wake county may not go to the closest to their address, that is true, but they are also not bussed across town either. The district simply tries to balance the economic levels of students in a close geographic area.

If you go by scores (which I don't think always tell the full story, then heck, Briarcliff is a great school with great scores from what I see.

Yes, some parents (Cary isn't the only area like this, but they do have a fair share of them), some parents don't like the idea that less well off students will be in 'their' school. Others don't like any diversity in population....but many more think that this is the very thing that makes Wake County schools strong across the board. Parents like that should go to private schools. They are never going to be happy in public.

It's much harder to find an outright bad school (and I know of none that are completely bad) then it is to find an above average to excellent one in Wake County, and you won't find a bad school in Cary of all places.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:31 PM

Thanks for this information. I should go and observe the classrooms and see how the students and teachers behave, I suppose, before making a final decision. On the other hand, which schools in Cary are "Beloved"? I've heard good things about Farmington Woods. Which other schools are very popular?

Old 05-02-2007, 07:35 PM

Barginmom?

Did you get the idea that there was a problem from ONE 2004 review at Greatschools that read as follows:

"....and discipline problems arising from this state's ridiculous idea of 'busing in' from other areas. Why in the world is it so bad to have an official 'neighborhood school' in NC? If it were such, surely it would be better for the children whose parents have worked hard to buy a home in Cary."

(I went and looked after North Raleigh Guy posted his links.)

Oh yes, keep Cary only for the wealthy (and not their maids)....it's crud like that that give Cary it's sometimes less then stellar reputation and why people make fun of it at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary