Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:43 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times

Advertisements

My wife was using our computer this weekend and somehow she downloaded a virus. Our PC has become infected with various trojan viruses. We have Mcafee virus scan software and I regularly use spybot and ad-aware to check for spyware. None of this has helped. We keep getting warning windows popping up (from our McAfee software) for a "Fake-alert" trojan, "Vundo.gen.bp" trojan, and "Downloader-BVU" trojan.

Fixing this is beyond my capabilities. Is there somewhere in Raleigh I can take my computer to get fixed or some sort of in-hom computer service I can call?

At this point I can't even get virus scan to run on my PC and it will no longer connect to the internet (I'm using a neighbor's laptop to post this). I can't even start my PC"Safe Mode".

Please let me know if you know of any computer services in our area that deals with such problems. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 08:02 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
My wife was using our computer this weekend and somehow she downloaded a virus. Our PC has become infected with various trojan viruses. We have Mcafee virus scan software and I regularly use spybot and ad-aware to check for spyware. None of this has helped. We keep getting warning windows popping up (from our McAfee software) for a "Fake-alert" trojan, "Vundo.gen.bp" trojan, and "Downloader-BVU" trojan.

Fixing this is beyond my capabilities. Is there somewhere in Raleigh I can take my computer to get fixed or some sort of in-hom computer service I can call?

At this point I can't even get virus scan to run on my PC and it will no longer connect to the internet (I'm using a neighbor's laptop to post this). I can't even start my PC"Safe Mode".

Please let me know if you know of any computer services in our area that deals with such problems. Thanks!
IF you have good backup, like photos and all, it may be easier and cheaper to reformat and reload.

Stay away from Craigslist. Lots of posers there.

Sorry, no good tech recommendations...

Old 09-20-2009, 08:06 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
We got something similar and Intrex took care of it.
Pretty frustrating when you use good virus protection.

They are located in the Holly (something )shopping center
Wake Forest Rd -just inside beltline.

Where Trader Joes is going .

They told us for a faster(2 day) turn around to use the store in Cary.
That is what we did.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:22 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
IF you have good backup, like photos and all, it may be easier and cheaper to reformat and reload.

Agree. I suggest backing up the data/files you really care about and reformatting the HD. Heck for what some tech people may charge it might be cheaper to get a new HD even.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:32 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Agree. I suggest backing up the data/files you really care about and reformatting the HD. Heck for what some tech people may charge it might be cheaper to get a new HD even.
Heck, NRG, I have a 40gig IDE HD I will give you...

Old 09-20-2009, 08:40 PM

393 posts, read 674,015 times
Just buy BitDefender and start up using the disk. It will scan from the disk first, then install. Use BitDefender going forward. It's a much better program.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:01 AM

532 posts, read 2,845,621 times
NorthRaleighGuy, I feel your pain. A few weeks ago I Googled a local restaurant and as soon as I clicked on the link all hell broke loose. I received a few local names right here on CD. I will DM you. Good luck!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:15 PM

188 posts, read 748,542 times
try doing a system restore and reset the pc to a time before the virus attack occurred...

Old 09-21-2009, 02:32 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
One of my home computers recently was infected courtesy of one of the kids who uses it (and got duped into clicking a "security warning.") This thing took hold of the system in so many ways it was shocking. Redirected web pages, no access to security software, no ability to download anything, no access to system utilities, etc. It was an incredible chokehold. I spent a few hours trying to eradicate it, and thought I had, but then it roared back a few days later. I gave up, and hit "restore" back to the factory settings. Thankfully, it's a system on which I don't store any data (except backups from another computer), so I didn't risk losing anything. Just the pain of re-setting everything up.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:43 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Default Hate to say it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

but I agree with the reformat/reload option.

If you haven't already done so try and backup critical files and than simply erase the drive and reinstall. I used to have my own residential PC consulting business and the amount of time it takes to try and remove a virus and repair the damage can be extensive. Thus the reason I always preach to store all personal files in one master directory (which Windows provides quite nicely) and just back that up as often as possible.

Good luck regardless of your course of action.

Last edited by NYC2RDU; 09-21-2009 at 03:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary