Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 02:14 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
The sad thing is it's still going to take forever at 1 Mb.
No, at 1Mb, it will be FOREVER/2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:05 AM

754 posts, read 1,692,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
No, at 1Mb, it will be FOREVER/2
Touche. Still depressing though.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:25 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
I get ~1mpbs up and down on my VzW 3G phone. If I have a really good signal it will spike to 1.5. At about 1/2 signal I am still around 512k/sec.

I am curious to know how clearwire handles gaming connections. Is it quick and low latency?

Old 03-19-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Is it....low latency?
I doubt it. It's wireless.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:19 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
I doubt it. It's wireless.

I hear you ... the 3G latency can be pretty discouraging , but both the LTE and the WiMax 4G variants were designed for low latency.
FWIW, I've seen some preliminary VzW LTE testing that shows sustained up/down speeds of 2-5 Mbps and 5-12 Mbps (I would ignore the peak 50/100 Mbps speeds you hear bandied around). Latency numbers are still being evaluated but will be much better than 3G. Also note that most of VzW LTE spectrum utilizes the legacy 700Mhz analog TV spectrum so its building penetration should also be better than today's cell coverage.
But WiMax(Clear) is certainly first to market here.

Frank

Old 03-19-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
I hear you ... the 3G latency can be pretty discouraging , but both the LTE and the WiMax 4G variants were designed for low latency....Latency numbers are still being evaluated but will be much better than 3G.
The feedback I've read online about Clear and gaming has been overwhelmingly negative. Better latency than 3G is still not in the league of a good wired connection (and by good I mean not overloaded by neighbors or a bad node <cough>). zinner asked specifically about games so that first hop is going to matter.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:38 AM

7 posts, read 22,759 times
Hello all -- thanks for your posts on Clear. I am considering switching from Time Warner Roadrunner service to Clear. I am hesitant because I was a Clearwire subscriber a couple of years ago and I didn't get a strong signal in my apartment. I live on the ground floor of an apartment at Wildwoods of Lake Johnson and I believe I am in a valley that blocks my access to the nearest towers. Does anyone know if recent upgrades (4G etc) would improve my ability to get a signal here? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:18 AM

75 posts, read 253,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprince1960 View Post
Hello all -- thanks for your posts on Clear. I am considering switching from Time Warner Roadrunner service to Clear. I am hesitant because I was a Clearwire subscriber a couple of years ago and I didn't get a strong signal in my apartment. I live on the ground floor of an apartment at Wildwoods of Lake Johnson and I believe I am in a valley that blocks my access to the nearest towers. Does anyone know if recent upgrades (4G etc) would improve my ability to get a signal here? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
If you have obstructions that prevented you from having hi-quality Clearwire service years ago, unless Clear added more antennas/towers to your area, you maybe stuck in the same boat....especially since Clear's 4G signal rides on a 2.5GHz radio band which does not do well with penetrating objects (hills, trees, man-made structures) between you and the tower.

The only way though to find out for sure is to try it out.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:41 PM

7 posts, read 22,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
If you have obstructions that prevented you from having hi-quality Clearwire service years ago, unless Clear added more antennas/towers to your area, you maybe stuck in the same boat....especially since Clear's 4G signal rides on a 2.5GHz radio band which does not do well with penetrating objects (hills, trees, man-made structures) between you and the tower.

The only way though to find out for sure is to try it out.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I guess I'll have to just try it to find out how strong the signal is here. I sure wish there was a way to test it before signing up!

Old 05-12-2010, 05:04 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,187,384 times
Just an FYI. I've got a Sprint 4G card for use when I'm mobile and no wi-fi is available. Sprint owns clear and both use the same towers, no?

Anyway, don't believe the "coverage area" map as published on Sprint's website. It is overly optimistic. My office is at Millpond Village on the corner of Kildaire Farm Rd and Ten Ten Rd. No 4G coverage there, despite the Sprint coverage map implying coverage. The same goes for my house. As someone else mentioned, obstructions are handled poorly by Sprint/Clear's 4G. Fallback to 3G is available, but that's small consolation.

Coverage along the I-40/1/64 corridors is great and the 4G performance is wonderful provided you're not in a dead zone. But I'm going to be terminating Sprint service and go back to using my Crackberry as my laptop's on-ramp to the mobile information superhighway. It's not worth the $60/mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary