Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:39 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I understand that you get (justifiably) defensive when people don't distinguish between Upstate NY and NYC; however, at least in this area, "New York ____" nearly always refers to "NYC _____" (or a more general term than that). Otherwise, it would be termed "Upstate NY ____". I hear even Upstate NY people use the terms this way.
Funny, even the Upstate folks want to distinguish themselves from the City folks. They do have pretty different lifestyles (and accents).
Same in parts of Joisey. South Jersey can be very much like parts of NC but as you go north and east it gets much more like parts of NY.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 08:58 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
I will echo Lovebrentwood, not a whole lot of difference between upstate NY and RTP area. Climate is probably the biggest one. Another difference is the level of development, this area is still developing roads and infrastructure to accommodate growth. I like to think I am getting into the area on the ground floor.

You wanna stay away from Holly Springs, lots of us new yorkers here.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:22 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
If you're two feet outside of NYC, NYCers call it "upstate NY." So I don't use that term. I use "Western New York" to identify the Rochester/Buffalo/Finger Lakes area.

But, uh, I'm from New York.

Quote:
I understand that you get (justifiably) defensive when people don't distinguish between Upstate NY and NYC; however, at least in this area, "New York ____" nearly always refers to "NYC _____" (or a more general term than that). Otherwise, it would be termed "Upstate NY ____". I hear even Upstate NY people use the terms this way.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I like to think I am getting into the area on the ground floor.
Best to learn some history: Raleigh has been around since LONG before you ever heard of it; it is not a "new" place nor are you "in on the ground floor"! The culture and history of this city goes back for centuries; it didn't just crop up 20 years ago.

Even the "transplant" areas go back to the 1960s, when IBM moved hundreds of families down here (feeding the growth in then-new "North Raleigh", outside the not-even-completed-yet Beltline) when RTP was still tiny. You missed the "ground floor" for this region by half a century.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:56 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetrice3000 View Post
Thank you I appreciate it! I am moving from Virginia, and I am basically trying to find an area where there are not alot of New Yorkers. I like North Carolina, and I'd like to feel like I live in NC, not NY when I move there.
Have you ever even been to NY? Not everyone is rude or in a hurry...and not everyone from NY is from New York City. So do you think that living somewhere where NYers aren't is going to make things better? Please. There are nice people and a-holes everywhere you go. What is wrong with NYers that you don't want to live near them?

Old 11-03-2009, 03:12 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Quote:
Best to learn some history: Raleigh has been around since LONG before you ever heard of it; it is not a "new" place nor are you "in on the ground floor"! The culture and history of this city goes back for centuries; it didn't just crop up 20 years ago.

Even the "transplant" areas go back to the 1960s, when IBM moved hundreds of families down here (feeding the growth in then-new "North Raleigh", outside the not-even-completed-yet Beltline) when RTP was still tiny. You missed the "ground floor" for this region by half a century.
Thanx Francois.

I am optimistic that the triangle has a lot more growing to do in the future, so my perspective is different. You are right Raleigh has been here a long time before I heard of it.

I live out in Holly Springs so I see the construction, new businesses and houses all the time. Even as the economy shrinks in most areas they are still building here. NC540 even reinforces the investment in the western wake area.

So from my viewpoint getting into this area before NC540 is finished is like getting in on the ground floor, because I believe once better connected that it will become an even better place to live.

I am younger so maybe I am more excited about the future.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
So from my viewpoint getting into this area before NC540 is finished is like getting in on the ground floor, because I believe once better connected that it will become an even better place to live.

I am younger so maybe I am more excited about the future.
You might be "in on the ground floor" for Southern Wake/Holly Springs, but you are by no means "in on the ground floor" for the growth of Raleigh/RTP/"The Triangle"--that was my point. You are correct that a certain kind of growth is fairly new in the small corner of Wake County where you are, and maybe someday you can document the history of that area from farmland and trees to [whatever it becomes in 40 years].

But, I hope you realize how patronizing it is when people move here (you're far from the first, and won't be the last) and make statements to the tune of "Wow, now that I'm here, this place is about to become something!" Because it's been "something" for several decades now, even in its "modern" identity as a high-tech area, not to mention the rich history of NC's capital city going back hundreds of years.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:30 PM

28 posts, read 71,161 times
Francois-
I'm trying to figure all of this out before I move from Virginia. Does the Raleigh area have much Southern Hospitality left? Or is it all basically Long Island South now?
Thanks for your insight.

Quote:

Old 11-03-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Francois-
I'm trying to figure all of this out before I move from Virginia. Does the Raleigh area have much Southern Hospitality left? Or is it all basically Long Island South now?
Thanks for your insight.
Yes, there are lots of Southerners in Raleigh, for sure. Perhaps not as many, proportion-wise, in the outlying areas such as Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina, and of course Cary (except for the natives of those areas who've never moved away). The biggest influx of Long Islanders have been to the outlying suburbs, so stay in Raleigh or Durham if avoiding them is something you see as a goal.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:26 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Quote:
Francois-
Thanks for your insight.
I suggest you head a little further south - South Carolina or Georgia might be more your speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary