Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:52 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyAngel View Post
I live in a town home with no amenities. Dues are $1800.00 per year. The value of my home is $90,000.00
omg I can't even imagine paying $150/month in HOA fees if there wasn't a pool or something. We pay something like $18/month which includes landscaping and upkeep of the common areas and maintenance of the soccer fields and playgrounds, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 06:56 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
omg I can't even imagine paying $150/month in HOA fees if there wasn't a pool or something. We pay something like $18/month which includes landscaping and upkeep of the common areas and maintenance of the soccer fields and playgrounds, etc.
HOA handling exterior building maintenance will run the bill up.
Particularly in an older complex where there are assessments for roofing, siding, parking lot maintenance, and the nicer wide open community spaces in many older communities.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:06 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitym View Post
Hi All,

I am trying to find out typical HOA dues for communities around the Raleigh area. Our yearly HOA meeting is coming up and we've been informed that our dues are going up, and my neighbors and I cannot find ANYONE around who pays more than we do in HOA dues. We get vitually no amenities or services either, which is why we are steamed!

Our neighborhood has houses in the $150,000-250,000 range, so we are looking for responses from folks who might live in a comparable situation.

Please, if you could, respond with the name of your community, what your yearly HOA dues are, and if possible approximately how many houses are in your community. We'd like to have as much ammunition going into this meeting as we can!

THANK YOU!
I'm very involved with my HOA in GA.
What a lot of people don't understand when it comes to dues, is even if you don't have any amenities, there are a number of fixed costs that are there whether you have amenities or not. Such as insurance (at least around $1000/yr), corporate registration, a replacement fund, property tax, income tax and of course hiring someone to file the tax returns (this year we paid $900 for that- 100 homes), whatever it costs for management (around $10/mo per home if you have it) and book keeping and legal ($1300/yr retainer plus whatever work they do). And almost every HOA has at least some common area to maintain. That may have a lighted sign (just the base connection charge for electricity amounts to about $250 a year depending. Same with water.) You may be paying money to chase after the people who don't pay. That gets very expensive.

The less houses you have, the more everyone ends up paying for those fixed costs.

Furthermore, the more delinquencies you have, the more everyone else ends up paying. You could have very low expenses but if only half the people in the neighborhood are paying the dues, then then everyone else pays double the dues. We had a serious problem with that in here and when I became the sheriff, we cracked down and aggressively went after people who weren't paying. Eventually we got the dues down a quite a bit as a result but it took years.

So amenities isn't everything. It's more to do with the number of paying homes you've got to share the expenses.

All HOA members have the right to see a budget so ask your association to see one so you can fully understand where the money is going. We post ours prominently on our web site because I wanted to be very transparent and show people that it's more than just mowing the grass.

I don't normally check in to this room so if you have a reply or follow up questions for me, you may need to send me a DM or something to alert me.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:32 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I don't normally check in to this room so if you have a reply or follow up questions for me, you may need to send me a DM or something to alert me.
Again -- this thread is almost three years old. While the OP may still be seeking this information, I kinda doubt it.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:41 PM

397 posts, read 805,484 times
my hoa dues are 145/mo for my towhhome. ~2300 SF 235-250k townhomes

Kinda high, but it does include a brand new pool and the grounds of the subdivision are quite nice.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:10 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,392 times
Glen Laurel in Clayton HOA dues are $125.00/year. 700+ homes. $200,000+ home values. I have never heard of a HOA charging a different price depending on the value of the home.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,292 times
There are 26 homes. There are no amenities. There is no pool. There is no playground. It is nothing more than 26 town homes. They have a yard crew that comes out usually once a week. They trim some of the bushes and blow leaves. I have been here for over 8 years. One time about a year ago they pulled weeds. It was the only time they did that since I have lived here. My bushes are usually over grown. so I end up trimming them myself. The yard crew does not do much. The dues cover the roofing of our places.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:55 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,049 times
Mine are $491 year which I feel is too high. They have gone up every year since we moved in. We do have a community pool and one very small open public area. That covers their incessant letters that there is a weed in the side yard, they can see my trash can through my 6 foot privacy fence, or that the sky is really not blue enough over my house.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:46 AM

342 posts, read 872,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyAngel View Post
There are 26 homes. There are no amenities. There is no pool. There is no playground. It is nothing more than 26 town homes. They have a yard crew that comes out usually once a week. They trim some of the bushes and blow leaves. I have been here for over 8 years. One time about a year ago they pulled weeds. It was the only time they did that since I have lived here. My bushes are usually over grown. so I end up trimming them myself. The yard crew does not do much. The dues cover the roofing of our places.
Townhomes usually have insurance included in them as well as exterior maintenance if needed. Does yours not include any of that?

Old 08-16-2012, 02:56 PM

835 posts, read 2,877,846 times
Our HOA fee is $352/year. We have no pool (still - now 4 years in and almost complete in phase 1), no cabana or club house, and no dog park (though they advertise one in the local home finder magazine). We have no amenities whatsoever except a tot lot that only serves as a teen hangout and was put in place as a consolation prize for not giving us our pool. The attached breakdown shows where our money is supposedly going - $7700.00 for grounds keeping?? Does it look like it? And $300 for sign maintenance?? Really?

How much are your HOA dues (0K-250K housing price range)?-hoa.jpg

How much are your HOA dues (0K-250K housing price range)?-exhibit-17.jpg How much are your HOA dues (0K-250K housing price range)?-exhibit-7.jpg How much are your HOA dues (0K-250K housing price range)?-exhibit-20.jpg

Last edited by Strongasabear; 08-16-2012 at 03:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary