Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 01:20 PM

692 posts, read 1,708,247 times

Advertisements

Asheville is just as bad....I have been laid off since May 1. Just now getting interviews after all this time. However they are out of state (the Mid-West and West) so we will probably be leaving NC. Been here 21 years, employed 19 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 07:24 PM

406 posts, read 788,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
Asheville is just as bad....I have been laid off since May 1. Just now getting interviews after all this time. However they are out of state (the Mid-West and West) so we will probably be leaving NC. Been here 21 years, employed 19 years.
We may need to leave also.

This area is not how it appears from the outside

Old 11-13-2009, 08:16 PM

122 posts, read 288,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb View Post
......they are in positions where they are exploited -- working highly skilled jobs for very low pay, renewable year to year.
I was thinking the same thing. The pay does not come close to matching the job descriptions for lab jobs. Typical requirements are a PhD or masters plus specific job skills plus x number of years of experience and the pay is like $20-$22/hr. ?? I really don't get it. Besides the exploitation aspect, how can a person live in this area on that kind of a wage? It is expensive to live here.

I've had alot of recruiter activity this week and have many irons in the fire at this point. I am also working on a Plan B and Plan C. I will take a huge pay cut if I do Plan B or Plan C but I will not sit here and wait forever either.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:15 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,830,852 times
I don't know...I don't think it's that we don't have jobs...we just don't have enough jobs for people moving here just expecting to get a job right away. I still don't understand the point in moving here if you have no job lined up already...unless a spouse etc got one first.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAPonyGirl View Post
$20-$22/hr. ?? I really don't get it. Besides the exploitation aspect, how can a person live in this area on that kind of a wage? It is expensive to live here.
I have been wondering this myself.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:25 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,306,208 times
Quote:
the pay is like $20-$22/hr. ?? I really don't get it. Besides the exploitation aspect, how can a person live in this area on that kind of a wage? It is expensive to live here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
I have been wondering this myself.
Are you serious? I'm all for people getting paid what they are worth, but being able to live off of $22/hour is more than doable. I know many who live off much less and lead happy lives.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:34 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,255,988 times
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. The pay does not come close to matching the job descriptions for lab jobs. Typical requirements are a PhD or masters plus specific job skills plus x number of years of experience and the pay is like $20-$22/hr. ?? I really don't get it. Besides the exploitation aspect, how can a person live in this area on that kind of a wage? It is expensive to live here.

I've had alot of recruiter activity this week and have many irons in the fire at this point. I am also working on a Plan B and Plan C. I will take a huge pay cut if I do Plan B or Plan C but I will not sit here and wait forever either.

I suppose one needs to consider if the pay being offered is what others are earning do the same work? If folks are earning $20 hr for work you are qualified for, do you really think you can get $25 hr or more? Seems that one has to accept the current pay scale (even if it is BELOW previous earnings) or look elsewhere for employment.

One cannot holdout for more $$ when the market is only paying at a certain level?

I accepted a $15K pay cut to take a job here. The options were being homeless and unemployed in MI, or going to several other states, most of which were on a similiar pay scale as NC...the better paying states all had inclement weather (SNOW) higher utilities, and other costs associated with living in a colder climate area.

So far we are doing so much better than we had been in MI. In mI it was day-to-day survival. Here we have actually been able to travel EVERY weekend to the ocean, mountains, or just travel around the Triangle area.

I understand what that feeling of exploitation is like...In Michigan I would be earning close $70K this year with my experience and education...IF THERE WAS A JOB there...

Old 11-14-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Are you serious? I'm all for people getting paid what they are worth, but being able to live off of $22/hour is more than doable. I know many who live off much less and lead happy lives.
In a North Raleigh house?

$20/hr Is an good wage. (I would be happy with it right now) I think the point was that it is low for an advanced degree and experience.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:35 PM

239 posts, read 939,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS1 View Post
Indeed. I've been unemployed 5/mos and counting. ERP Software Consulting. I've responded to and applied to >250 jobs, locally as well as mutiple states. I have been frustrated but not given up hope. I know you'll continue to work with your recruiters ( as I have) to do all you can to land something. I wish us all the best in this search and market.
JMS1,
Which ERP are you into? Peoplesoft?? there are some positionst at UNC,chappel hill.Did you try ther?

Old 11-14-2009, 09:37 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,344,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
In a North Raleigh house?

$20/hr Is an good wage. (I would be happy with it right now) I think the point was that it is low for an advanced degree and experience.
Exactly, if you are effectively out of the workforce as a graduate student/intern/fellow from the age of 20-30, people often have a little "catching up to do" (to put it mildly) when they enter a job after all that training. And, we're not talking about expecting an orthopedic surgeon salary, here, just a wage slightly above "average" to compensate for being in training for about 10 years . . not because those people are better than others, just because they have had to been living of grad student stipends for so long they have no savings or equity in real estate or anything.

But this totally goes beyond what is going on here in the Triangle. It is a major disfunction in the scientific field in this country and will lead to even fewer people wanting to go into STEM, if they can't recoup the cost of their educations. One advantage international students have in this respect is that they don't have undergrad student loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary