Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:07 PM

406 posts, read 788,425 times

Advertisements

It still amazes me how bad the employment situation is here in the triangle.

I now realize I probably will have to relocate again to an area that has more jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 09:09 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,109,901 times
We tried to warn people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
It still amazes me how bad the employment situation is here in the triangle.

I now realize I probably will have to relocate again to an area that has more jobs.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 11-04-2009 at 09:18 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 PM

228 posts, read 803,609 times
I have a PhD in your field. I actually gave up looking after 3 years of looking (for industry positions), here and in another biotech hub. PhD and BS are very different worlds, and it's actually a heck of alot easier to get a job at the BS/MS level. Once you get to a PhD you actually are overqualified for a bunch of jobs. For example if I ever want a career in science I just couldn't take a technician job, because I am trained to be a research scientist, who supervises techs. And also for some jobs you are just not going to get it without a PhD. But dont make the mistake of thinking all you need is a PhD to become marketable, you would educate yourself out of more jobs than would become open to you.

Maybe what you need to do is visit the universities and go to the labs and see who needs techs. Turnover is high and recruitment is hard, every university has less than stellar HR departments. Go talk to the bench scientists, see if they need people. Some jobs just aren't really advertised.

(Unemployed for coming on 5 months now)

Old 11-05-2009, 09:23 AM

406 posts, read 788,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
We tried to warn people.
Fair enough, my fault for not seeing this.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:53 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,109,901 times
Many of us on this board tried to warn people but were "slapped down" by those who thought we were being negative.

Put on a happy face, and everything will be just fiiiiine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
Fair enough, my fault for not seeing this.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:36 AM

515 posts, read 1,717,998 times
What about Novartis? They are building a huge plant in Holly Springs

Old 11-05-2009, 12:40 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,867,494 times
There are a few manufacturing companies in Treyburn (Merck, Bio-Meriuex and a few others). My husband had the same issue, PhD with only academia experience. It was sooooo hard to break through to industry. Finally it became about who he knew and found a great job through a contact person. Good luck to all job seekers! It's so sucky to be unemployed. My heart goes out to all the jobless right now.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:42 PM

122 posts, read 288,800 times
Thanks everyone for the replies, I appreciate hearing other point of views. I am being considered for one of the Novartis positions right now. My husband works at BioMerieux and we do not want to put all of our eggs in one basket as we've done that before and it does not make for a healthy relationship.

I'll keep plugging away. In the meantime, I'm thinking of Plan B, I've applied to UNC to their med tech program to get certified to work in a hospital lab. This would be a big pay cut but at least it would give me some job security and I would like the work.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:00 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,162,907 times
those of us in wyeth (now Pfizer) in Sanford and RTP are all kind of wondering whether we'll be transferred, laid off, etc. in the next few months. i know some people who are leaving to go to Merck, Novartis, various small places. I got a call from Duke out of the blue today. I think there's jobs out there, it's just hard to find the right ones. i'm also a non-MS research assoc/low level scientist with 5 years experience, so perhaps not as much experience as you... but still looking for not entry level, but not phd stuff either... that's the problem. i can hope my dept remains intact, then my contract job can be turned into a real job, with 10k more + benefits. or i can try to jump ship now for a more secure job making 10k less than i make now. or i can wait till i know for sure, and hope i can find a [good] job quickly (yeah, right) if i'm being laid off.

still not thinking of moving... i mean, it's not like there's a ton of biotech jobs everywhere else except here. anyways, sorry for the rant. good luck on your search!

Old 11-06-2009, 11:13 AM

63 posts, read 182,944 times
Indeed. I've been unemployed 5/mos and counting. ERP Software Consulting. I've responded to and applied to >250 jobs, locally as well as mutiple states. I have been frustrated but not given up hope. I know you'll continue to work with your recruiters ( as I have) to do all you can to land something. I wish us all the best in this search and market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary