Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:28 AM

532 posts, read 2,846,735 times

Advertisements

I know it's not that that time of year to be bothered by these flying bloodsuckers, but we are speaking with Mosquito Xperts in Durham, whom we met at the home show and we read about in one of the local magazines.

Most of our lot is a mosquito breeding ground; shady, damp, not much wind and from April through October we get eaten alive. Well, not DH, but I do and so do our guests whom we do not invite over because of the mosquitos.

We've tried everything people have suggested, except cutting down trees to correct the shady, damp, still areas.

The misters work sort of like your irrigation system - tubing, emiters that spray a pesticide, scheduled sprays, etc. off fence rails, trees, gutters, etc.

It's awfully expensive and I know we need to personally weigh the cost against our perceived benefit, but I'm wondering whether others use this system and how you like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 10:47 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,106,471 times
In general, poisons don't seem to be a good idea.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:54 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,084,209 times
One of the Parade homes that backed up to Umstead Forest has those on the deck railing ... I thought it was sorta odd as the builder was also building "green".

Frank

Old 11-04-2009, 10:54 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,191,405 times
We looked into them and pesticides either chemical or "natural" weren't something we were willing to spray all over the yard.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:58 PM

220 posts, read 866,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
...... but we are speaking with Mosquito Xperts in Durham, whom we met at the home show and we read about in one of the local magazines.

Go with anyone BUT them!! I know an attorney who had to write a letter basically to them to cancel their service. They had been filling up the tanks with WATER instead of whatever chemicals they're supposed to use!!!! Not once, but a FEW times!!!! AND, they had done that same thing to other friends that he knew, and he wrote letters for them to. VERY upsetting when you're paying that much and they're giving you WATER!!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 01:04 PM

871 posts, read 3,020,239 times
Mosquitos breed in the water but live high up. They love to feast on bird blood and such and that is also where the bats, in turn, feast on them.

Mosquito control chemical nozzles are placed way too low to the ground to be effective. Just basically dosing yourself with the poison. I would stay away. Buy a batcave instead.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:30 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,106,471 times
Building or buying a couple of bat houses is a great idea.

Bat House | Free Bat House Plans

A screened-in porch, "Off!" spray (still a chemical, but what are you going to do?), and strong fans might help, too.

I read somewhere that mosquitoes hate basil, but I don't know if that's true or not -- but it's worth a shot.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:29 PM

532 posts, read 2,846,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis511 View Post
Go with anyone BUT them!!
Who else is there in this area?

Old 11-04-2009, 05:33 PM

871 posts, read 3,020,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
Who else is there in this area?

Mosquito Masters Llc - Apex, North Carolina (NC) | Company Profile

Old 11-04-2009, 10:30 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,845,480 times
I read lately that taking Vitamin B can help make yourself unattractive to skeeters...also, that if you have a lot of alcohol in you, they aren't interested ("Drink up, it's medicinal!"). Or else maybe they bite you once and then go off somewhere to watch "Porky's" movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary