Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:23 AM

37 posts, read 91,070 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd get some opinions on this. It looks likely that we will build a Drees home in Churton Grove. We are educated and know the process for the most part - we also know the state of the economy and the incentives that should be available. Do you think our family should go about it on our own or with the aid of an agent? The pro would be they may know more about the builder/area/bargaining than we do. The obvious con is paying the fee for an agent when we could easily do this on our own. Also, if we have walked in a model and spoken to a Drees sales rep on several occasions...is it even kosher to introduce a buyer's agent into the deal?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 06:25 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Doesn't the buyer's agent fee usually come out of a split with the listing agent - no additional cost to you?

Old 11-10-2009, 06:46 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corlyjones View Post
Thought I'd get some opinions on this. It looks likely that we will build a Drees home in Churton Grove. We are educated and know the process for the most part - we also know the state of the economy and the incentives that should be available. Do you think our family should go about it on our own or with the aid of an agent? The pro would be they may know more about the builder/area/bargaining than we do. The obvious con is paying the fee for an agent when we could easily do this on our own. Also, if we have walked in a model and spoken to a Drees sales rep on several occasions...is it even kosher to introduce a buyer's agent into the deal?

Thanks!
The builder will pay the buyer's agent.
You will likely find that Drees will not offer you a savings if you proceed without an agent. Not definite, but Drees prospects aggressively among the agent community. They may not want agents to think they will undercut their pricing because a buyer comes without an agent.

If you have registered without mentioning an agent, Drees will determine whether or not they will allow you to introduce an agent into the proceedings.
So, on total price, there may be little difference whether you proceed with or without an agent.
Is it "kosher?" to introduce an agent at this point? It is just fine. It may be a little awkward, but it is negotiable.

If you get resistance, and you have determined you would like someone on your side in the transaction and construction, you say, "Hi. This is my agent. I know we have this little registration question; but this is my agent. Your company has a decision to make. This person will be my agent here, or down the street at XYZ Homes. Which works better for you?"

It may be difficult to get the on-site agent to engage the buyer's agent productively, as they first built a relationship with you. You may have to reinforce that you have an agent.
Often the client lives closer to the community than the agent does, and it is so easy to stop in and chat with the on site agent.
If you and the on site agent work closely and you exclude your Buyer's agent from ongoing discussion, negotiation, and project development, they must either force their way in or stand on the sidelines and hope to show up at closing to get a check without offering much value.
You don't get as much value from an agent under those circumstances as you do when you work actively with them.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Old 11-10-2009, 08:20 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Great post, Mike!

The fee that the buyer's agent receives is from the seller/builder. Repeat after me, please: The fee that the buyer's agent receives is from the seller/builder. Seems we can't say it enough!

You need representation. You need a buyer's agent to find out all the incentives and the prices that the homes are selling for. You need representation IF any problems arise. WHO is on your side? The onsite agent works for the builder. You may have a very smooth transactions but if you don't, who is going to help you? The onsite agent has much experience in getting the best for the builder. Who is going to use their experience to help you? Do you have that experience?

Ask around your office, ask around your n'hood. Find someone you trust and have them give you a referral of a buyer's agent.

Ok...getting off my soapbox NOW!

Vicki

Old 11-10-2009, 09:17 AM

374 posts, read 1,182,024 times
How extensively and how many times did you speak to an on-site sales agent? I went two times before I got a buyers agent and had no problems with it. My buyers agent also saved me around 13K of the listing price that I wouldn't' have got without her. PM me if you want her name (look one post up )

Old 11-10-2009, 09:34 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,326 times
In our experience, you definitely need an agent when building, simply to help you oversee all the mundane details, and help w/ negotiations. There were some hiccups along the way for us that would have been impossible to handle on our own and still attend to our day jobs.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:35 AM

792 posts, read 4,488,681 times
If the builder will give you a discount over and above their best deal for not bringing an agent, then I would take it - it seems that you are on top of things and more than capable of handling the builder yourself.

If the builder says the price is the same whether you bring an agent or not, then I would use an agent - there wouldn't be any reason not to.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:18 AM

475 posts, read 1,575,536 times
Speaking from experience, go with a buyer's agent. I KNOW I would not have been able to negotiate as much as we did without him. Just make the right decision and pick the right person...

Old 11-10-2009, 11:35 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Excellent and informative posts by Mike and Vicki! I completely agree with them, get an agent, it is in your best interest.

I had a friend and her parents decided to buy a new construction home and they went into a contract without an agent. Everything seemed to go along well, until they got into some difficulties. They were buying this home from a large production builder, etc. They had trouble with the cabinets in the kitchen, then closets were not being put in the right places, etc. They called me and asked me to help them talk to the on site agent.

There was nothing I could do for them. The process was already done, the contracts signed, and they had to deal with the on site agent for the issues. In the end, they regretted not having an agent.

Bottom line is a buyer's agent doesn't cost the buyer a thing, and really is a person who is looking out for the buyer's needs exclusively.

Leigh

Old 11-10-2009, 01:55 PM

37 posts, read 91,070 times
I love this forum! Thanks for the posts...calling my buying agent now =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary