Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 06:04 PM
bta bta started this thread

284 posts, read 1,885,480 times

Advertisements

There have been numerous posts regarding window blinds over the past three months. So I thought it might be useful to share my experience.

My wife and I primarily wanted 2" wood blinds for our windows (we also have a few honeycomb). However, our windows' molding is fairly shallow. We have about 1/2" mounting space inside the window molding. And since we have molding, we didn't want to do an outside mount that covered the molding.

Most of the online sites said 1”-2” inches were required for 2” wood blinds. While that may be true for a flush inside mount – it isn’t necessary true for a semi-flush mount. Unfortunately – most sites didn’t list a true minimum mount space.

So being unsure what we could do with just 1/2", we had one of the local Hunter Douglas blinds dealers come out. We got a quote, and decided to go with the most critical rooms first (master bedroom and bathroom). The whole house quote was a bit much to stomach for people who were coming from a townhouse that had as many windows in the entire townhouse as their new master suite does now.

The local dealer got the blinds in and installed within two weeks. As they were installed, my wife watched to see if anything special was done. Noting that they took all of 5 min a window for the pro to install, we decided to try to do another room ourselves. So we found an online Hunter Douglas dealer and ordered the blinds for about $50-$70 less than the local dealer (per blind). We ordered 2” Chalet wood blinds (http://www.hunterdouglas.com/hdg_pro...tail.jsp?id=44)

The install process was about as easy as it looked. The only tools required were a pencil and a drill/screwdriver. Everything including the blinds are shown below:

The before of the window (our lazy dog loved the sun from the unadorned window):

Next I took the right bracket and put it up against the molding. With a pencil - I just marked the two holes that lined up with the molding. Hunter Douglas says to put a screw in the side and top of the molding. This isn't possible with only 1/2" of space. So like the pros did on our other windows, I just put the two screws on the side.

Then with the drill I made two holes

I repeated the process for the left bracket and then screwed them in place:

Next was the really easy part, you just slide the blinds into the brackets:

Once they're in - just push down the top tab which secures the blinds in place:

Now it's time to assemble and install the wood valance. The valance comes in 3 wood pieces: the long front piece and the two short side pieces. They are held together by plastic joint pieces that slide into the grooves in the back of the wood. My wife was kind enough to assemble the valance while I was drilling the holes and fastening the brackets.

Once the valance is assembled, plastic fasteners are attached to the back of the valance. The fasteners then clip onto the metal head rail of the blinds.

Now just clip the valance onto the blinds head rail.

And that's it - the blinds are installed.

So here are the lessons learned:

1- Don't buy the whole house at once - pick a test room. The pictures above are from our test room and we learned a few things that make us more comfortable making the big purchase for the rest of the blinds.

2- Order the blinds length a little longer than you need. We measured the blinds length exactly how the online site told us to. The blinds came the exact length. When the blinds are open - they look perfect, but when you close them, the bottom slat doesn't close fully. When we compared it to the blinds the professionals ordered, they allowed for one extra slat that allows them to fully close. So the lesson is to order the blinds 2-3 inches longer than you need (about 1 slat). Not sure if this holds true for brands other than Hunter Douglas.

3- The side pieces of the valance can be tricky. We measured them the way the online site instructed us to - but they came longer than needed because Hunter Douglas applies the measurement from where the piece intersects the long valance piece of wood and not the exterior length of the side piece. So you have to reduce the measurement a bit. Now that we've compared our first order to the professional order, we're pretty confident on the size to order next time. My wife is calling the company tomorrow to see if they will send some slightly shorter side pieces. If I was handier - I'd cut the piece down myself.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Overall the process is very simple - it took longer to put together this post than it did to install the actual blinds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 06:30 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
And for my next "How To Video" we will show you the fundamentals of brain surgery on the kitchen table for amateurs!

Good Job, BTA!

Old 05-14-2007, 07:58 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
That was great. Better than trying to read the directions on the package.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:06 PM

574 posts, read 1,209,155 times
Very nice. Now come do mine.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:03 AM

460 posts, read 2,422,105 times
I have been installing blinds and curtains since I was knee high to a grapefruit. So good to see people dong things for themselves. I always order my shades from Home Depot who have a sale on blinds on and off all year long. I always order all my blinds at the same time, the more you buy the bigger you save. Now that you have got the hang of it you will just keep getting better.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:12 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,857 times
great post and very informative - loved the step by step pics and sure I will be reading it again soon when we put our Blinds up

Old 05-29-2007, 10:16 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
BTA,
kudos to you and your wife for posting this! I've hung 2" wooden blinds before and your instructions were much simiplier than Smith and Noble!!
Thanks for posting this. Rep points coming your way!!

Old 05-29-2007, 11:33 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
Did the Westie help with the blind installation? I want two of them.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:01 AM

185 posts, read 992,250 times
ok saving this link. have a blind i've wanted to replace since buying this house. that was oooh 8 years ago

Old 05-30-2007, 07:29 AM
bta bta started this thread

284 posts, read 1,885,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Did the Westie help with the blind installation? I want two of them.
Our Westie definitely did not help. She was upset that we disturbed her nap in the sun for the blinds install. Then she was angry that the new blinds destroyed her favorite sunny spot. She's since found a new sunny spot that we've yet to cover with blinds... only a matter of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary