Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 07:11 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

We have finally decided we cannot wait any longer to get one of our daughters the help she needs for what we think are learning disabilities. I have been told getting her tested here in Chapel Hill school system can take months, often is done by underqualified interns, etc and then it is months before she would even get an IEP.
Some people have been recommended which would cost over $800 but BCBS will pay for "adequate" testing by some place called NC neuopsychiatry.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I should proceed? Many thanks for your helpful suggestions. She is 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 08:05 AM

24 posts, read 68,059 times
I went to www.bcbsnc.com and in the upper right hand corner typed neuropsychiatry.

This is what came up:

http://www.bcbsnc.com/assets/service...ch_testing.pdf

Definitely contact BCBS of NC customer service because your specific policy could differ.
Hope that helps!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-15-2009 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: Mentioning your affiliation could be construed as advertising.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:18 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times
Is she being recommended by a teacher or by you? I think by law if a parent puts it in writing that they want their child tested, then they have to do it. And if you are assertive (in a good way), they will probably get it done sooner rather than later.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:21 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Is she being recommended by a teacher or by you? I think by law if a parent puts it in writing that they want their child tested, then they have to do it. And if you are assertive (in a good way), they will probably get it done sooner rather than later.
Sandycat is current that they have to by law test her. But the OP is current in that it takes a long time. The school has 90 days to respond once the parent submits the request. And the school has an observational period (I think 90 days) before testing begins.

This process can easily take 6 months or more from beginning to end here in NC. I do know of cases where the school district did not recognize any learning disability after the testing was complete, but later independent testing showed the child had ADHD.

OP, I know $800 is a lot of money. But if it puts your mind at ease and helps get your child the real help she needs then it will be worth it. Plus, I bet you could do a payment plan so it's not all at once.

Good luck. I know the system here is frustrating!!

Old 12-15-2009, 09:33 AM

53 posts, read 137,375 times
It's true that they legally have 90 days after the parent requests intervention.

I am in the mental health field in Raleigh, and I have found NC Neuropsych to be a decent company. Being that the school system is so overworked and under-funded, you might actually be better off going with an independent organization.

If you feel that you need advocacy or assistance - Duke Law has a free program that provides legal assistance with regards to educational issues.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:43 PM

222 posts, read 545,629 times
I just posted in another thread about Chapel Hill Pediatric Psychology. They do very, very thorough neuropsychological assessments, not just "adequate" for about the same price after BCBS reimbursement. There is also no waiting list there. They can see you the same week, even on a Saturday.

ETA: Oops...just read your post wrong. It'll cost about $700-800 out-of-pocket after BCBS reimbursement. The reason is that BCBS does not cover "educational testing." Since you are wanting her to get evaluated for the school, then it's pretty much something you're stuck with. I would make sure that this other form of assessment would be acceptable for the school (and to you!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary