Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:29 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times

Advertisements

It seems like when big scientific discoveries are made, its always in Boston or San Fran.

Why not from RTP?

What businesses are actually in the RTP?

What kinda cutting edge research (if any) are they involved in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 07:42 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
You can find a list of businesses in RTP at http://www.rtp.org/files/Maps/2008_rtp_map_alpha_081408.pdf (broken link).

Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 AM

81 posts, read 213,944 times
Default Rtp?

That is a good question. A few thoughts from my perspective.

There seems to have been somewhat of a "dilution" of the original intent of RTP. When I look at the map that another reader posted, I see that many of the firms are not heavily involved in R&D at their RTP location. Their basic R&D may be located in another city or country, but they have a location in RTP to collaborate or conduct business with local companies and universities.

Also, there are a number of scientific societies that have a location in RTP. Again not heavily involved in research, basically admin., etc.

Also, many of the companies may sell or license out technology to other companies, as do many startups located in RTP. Thus, the announcement of the new technology may come form another company or another location of the same company.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:37 AM

60 posts, read 129,406 times
According to Google Maps there's actually a park (they use the green tree symbol and green map shading). Google map "research triangle park, nc" in map view to see.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:36 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
There's Cree, Inc, a very solid co., they make hi quality LED lights for cell phones, home and industrial application. While working to improve their raw product they discovered that it is not unlike a diamond in looks and hardness, and so decided to spin off and start up a company to produce this for jewelry. Although it's a nice product they haven't had much luck with it (Moissonite) going up against diamonds. Their co was called C3, and now Charles & Colvard.

Anyhow, there have been lots of achievements from there. I'd be curious to hear from old IBM's to know if any products were invented there, I think there was one, I remember hearing about a patent issue yrs ago. Glaxo, when it was Burroughs Wellcome had (male and female) scientists who were awarded a nobel in science for their research.

Wish I could remember the Duke stuff(?). Duke works with companies there who have made great strides in med research.

I found a great link with other info on discoveries, i.e. Taxol, UPC code, Astrotuf, etc The Research Triangle Park

Old 12-20-2009, 02:20 PM

92 posts, read 103,175 times
lots of pharma, biopharma, biotech companies. this is a big research area, so you are likely to find a lot of clinical research type jobs. government, university and medical jobs are also plentiful.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:14 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
You won't see the innovations directly in RTP, but more company partnerships w/ Universities like at NCSU's Centennial Campus, or UNC/Duke hospitals

Old 12-21-2009, 08:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
As an example, search the Google patent database of IBM patents in which the listed inventors are in Research Triangle Park. You'll find hundreds.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:18 AM

63 posts, read 153,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
It seems like when big scientific discoveries are made, its always in Boston or San Fran.

Why not from RTP?

What kinda cutting edge research (if any) are they involved in?

Everthing that goes on in RTP is highly Top Secret. It's sort of like Area 51 in Nevada. I'd like to tell you more, but, Big Brother is watching us.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:31 AM

214 posts, read 695,391 times
RTI (founding company of RTP) discovered the compounds Taxol and camptothecin, which are historically the two most important chemotherapy drugs. Some more recent breakthroughs there include a new type of thermoelectic material which will one day find its way into basically anything with a microprocessor, a distributed network air traffic control system which is basically a prototype of they system that will eventually replace the existing FAA centralized control system, cleaner processes for liquifieing coal, and several breakthroughs in computer modeling of diseases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary