Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:54 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuterdu View Post

Your definition of friendly is different than those of us transplants. If I get cut off on the freeway and don't get the finger, to me that is friendly. If someone goes out of their way to let you over...then to you that is friendly.

It's all based on interpretation
Thankfully, we aren't planning to let transplants lower the bar to their definition of "friendly" anytime soon.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:38 PM

321 posts, read 532,195 times
Anyways, friendliness is partly environment, partly personal effort. I wonder how much personal responsibility people are willing to take.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-31-2009 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: Deleted quoted text, as that post has been deleted.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery View Post
Anyways, friendliness is partly environment, partly personal effort. I wonder how much personal responsibility people are willing to take.
Great point. Often we get back what we project.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-31-2009 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: Deleted quoted text, as that post has been deleted.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:55 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh4000 View Post
Wow! Even Portland, Oregon is friendlier than NC.

I wish I never moved here from my old state. For all of the hooplah that you read about how "great" the Raleigh area is, it is not that great at all.

There's no Southern hospitality left around Raleigh.

Hmmm ... let me take a few sentences and rearrange them a bit with some bolding ...

"There's no Southern hospitality left around Raleigh."
Hmmm ... why might there be no Southern hospitality left in Raleigh?

"I wish I never moved here from my old state."
"... Oregon..."
Ah! Everyone here, including YOU, moved here from somewhere else! Well no wonder this place doesn't feel like the ol' Southern Raleigh we all used to know and love. Mystery solved. Where's my Scooby Snack?

Old 12-31-2009, 02:37 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
I think what you may be seeing is a general lack of HOSPITALITY. Not related to Southern or specific geography. Fewer people take the time these days to get to know others; that's just a fact. People are more mobile, areas are more volatile, esp. with the economy and people moving around so much. Sure there are nice people everywhere and selfish people everywhere but how you feel about a new environment will depend largely on whether you run into mostly polite/interested/friendly people in those first 5 or 10 contacts. You will form an impression based on that and it will be harder to shake that image from your mind.

Perhaps this area just isn't for you? You're allowed to leave the Triangle if the fit is not right, ya know. There is no use being miserable and there are lots of other places to try. You're not going to change the people, the town, the schools, the workplace or any of it. All you can do is keep trying new environments until you find one that is the right fit.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:31 PM

47 posts, read 97,223 times
No Scooby Snack for you Skaternum. I'm not from Portland Oregon. Another poster was commenting on his experience of finding people to be much friendlier in Portland, OR compared to Raleigh, NC. I was suprised at this, hence the response. But, nice try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Hmmm ... let me take a few sentences and rearrange them a bit with some bolding ...

"There's no Southern hospitality left around Raleigh."
Hmmm ... why might there be no Southern hospitality left in Raleigh?

"I wish I never moved here from my old state."
"... Oregon..."
Ah! Everyone here, including YOU, moved here from somewhere else! Well no wonder this place doesn't feel like the ol' Southern Raleigh we all used to know and love. Mystery solved. Where's my Scooby Snack?

Old 12-31-2009, 05:37 PM

***That's GREAT advice! Please send me a money order or certified check for $5,000 to cover moving expenses and I will be THRILLED to move back to an area - well outside of Raleigh- where people are actually not afraid to say hello to each other! It'll be great to back in the South again! YEEEHAAAAWWW!

quote=lottamoxie;12244554]I think what you may be seeing is a general lack of HOSPITALITY. Not related to Southern or specific geography. Fewer people take the time these days to get to know others; that's just a fact. People are more mobile, areas are more volatile, esp. with the economy and people moving around so much. Sure there are nice people everywhere and selfish people everywhere but how you feel about a new environment will depend largely on whether you run into mostly polite/interested/friendly people in those first 5 or 10 contacts. You will form an impression based on that and it will be harder to shake that image from your mind.

Perhaps this area just isn't for you? You're allowed to leave the Triangle if the fit is not right, ya know. There is no use being miserable and there are lots of other places to try. You're not going to change the people, the town, the schools, the workplace or any of it. All you can do is keep trying new environments until you find one that is the right fit.[/quote]

Old 12-31-2009, 08:16 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuterdu View Post
The problem is that you came from the South. If you had come from California (like I did) or New York, Jersey etc. then these people would seem friendly!

Your definition of friendly is different than those of us transplants. If I get cut off on the freeway and don't get the finger, to me that is friendly. If someone goes out of their way to let you over...then to you that is friendly.

It's all based on interpretation
I'm sorry, but that is just sad.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:12 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh4000 View Post
***That's GREAT advice! Please send me a money order or certified check for $5,000 to cover moving expenses and I will be THRILLED to move back to an area - well outside of Raleigh- where people are actually not afraid to say hello to each other! It'll be great to back in the South again! YEEEHAAAAWWW!
Upon seeing further display of your behavior and temperament it suddenly occurs to me that the problem just might not exist with everyone else. If you are finding everyone unfriendly then I suggest you look for the answer within, as you are the constant in each of your interactions, and the only thing you can change is yourself and your attitude (for FREE even ).

Old 01-01-2010, 05:45 AM

Your assumptions are incorrect. I am a very friendly person, as is my family. As I said it is culture shock around Raleigh. Our neighbors next to us on both sides, as well as across the street and behind us have not even said "hello" once since we moved in! Let alone "welcome to the neighborhood." THAT is VERY uncourteous. Around Raleigh and the suburbs I have spent time over the last few weeks is similar- people are afraid to say hello to strangers around here. Yes, I have said hello with a smile first. Maybe Raleigh area residents are transplants, maybe not. But either way it stinks. Now, please send me a check or money order for $5,000 so that I can move out of the Raleigh area, and back to the South where people are friendly and courteous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Upon seeing further display of your behavior and temperament it suddenly occurs to me that the problem just might not exist with everyone else. If you are finding everyone unfriendly then I suggest you look for the answer within, as you are the constant in each of your interactions, and the only thing you can change is yourself and your attitude (for FREE even ).

Last edited by jh4000; 01-01-2010 at 06:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary