Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 09:53 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times

Advertisements

I have a quick question for you guys. I'm from Michigan (although I live in Georgia at the moment), and I've heard from people from the South say that Raleigh (Durham, Wake Forest, Chapel Hill) is this interesting, progressive, non culturally Southern area that just happens to be in a Southern state.

I'm skeptical at best. After all, I've heard the same thing about Atlanta, and I've found that it's about as Deep South as it gets. When I'm in the Atlanta area, I never forget that I'm in Georgia.

My question is, is this true? Is Raleigh really a Northern city that just happens to be in North Carolina, or is it simply an Atlanta-style "New South" city, like Charlotte or Nashville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 10:56 AM

124 posts, read 326,689 times
Atlanta is as "Deep South" as it gets? What?

Old 12-24-2009, 11:04 AM

Also, if you don't want to be reminded that you're not living in Michigan, I would suggest looking into Wisconsin, Ohio, or maybe Minnesota. They're all fine in their own way. Raleigh is pretty progressive, but if you are not open to living in or visiting a diverse area, then I'd recommend skipping it.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowNC View Post
Also, if you don't want to be reminded that you're not living in Michigan, I would suggest looking into Wisconsin, Ohio, or maybe Minnesota. They're all fine in their own way. Raleigh is pretty progressive, but if you are not open to living in or visiting a diverse area, then I'd recommend skipping it.
What do you mean by "diverse?" I'm all for diversity, in fact, I really value diversity. I just would prefer not to live in an area that's overly "Southern."

Old 12-24-2009, 11:50 AM

52 posts, read 138,709 times
I think you need to explain what you mean by "southern." Raleigh is much smaller than Atlanta and Charlotte, so it's not a metropolitan melting pot by any stretch. It has world class universities and the Research Triangle Park, so yes, Wake, Durham and Orange counties are home to a diverse and progressive population. But you can't expect to live in Raleigh and not rub elbows with true southerners. They run the entire state from there!

Old 12-24-2009, 12:09 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,450,197 times
To make life easier for migrating Northerners, maybe what we need to do is have every Southern city officially declare itself "Northern City just stuck in a Southern State" or "Still Southern; y'all don't want to move here".

That way, all the Northerners will know which city is best for the them and they'll never have the unpleasant experience of brushing shoulders with actual Southerners.

If you scan the other regional threads, I don't think you'll find one that says "Is Boston really 'Northern' (ewww)" , "I want to move to New Hampshire, but I want an area like Greensboro", "Which part of Pennsylvania most closely resembles Alabama".

Sorry if I'm a little cranky about this. But I just got bumped into by a man pushing a grocery buggy while yakking on the cell phone. Didn't even acknowledge me, much less apologize. I'll be taking wagers on what kind of accent he had.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 12-24-2009 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: one more thought

Old 12-24-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
What do you mean by "diverse?" I'm all for diversity, in fact, I really value diversity. I just would prefer not to live in an area that's overly "Southern."

I question how much you value diversity if living somewhere that seems somewhat "Southern" to you, that won't allow you to feel like you're living in Michigan every day, abhors you. Clearly, Atlanta's diversity is already wasted on you. Southerners will be part of the diversity equation, a part of the people you meet and interact with, if you live nearly anywhere south of Michigan (or maybe Indiana or Ohio...).

Again, I'd skip Raleigh/ Durham if I were you. I'm originally from a northern state, and part of what I love, love, love about this area is the splendid variety of people I get to interact with... those from the North, South, East or West.

P.S. Calling Atlanta "as deep South as it gets" really reveals how little you know about other southern states.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
If you scan the other regional threads, I don't think you'll find one that says "Is Boston really 'Northern' (ewww)" , "I want to move to New Hampshire, but I want an area like Greensboro", "Which part of Pennsylvania most closely resembles Alabama".

Couldn't agree more, Lynchburg! I'm thinking of posting one, though, now that you've suggested it....

Old 12-24-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I question how much you value diversity if living somewhere that seems somewhat "Southern" to you, that won't allow you to feel like you're living in Michigan every day, abhors you. Clearly, Atlanta's diversity is already wasted on you. Southerners will be part of the diversity equation, a part of the people you meet and interact with, if you live nearly anywhere south of Michigan (or maybe Indiana or Ohio...).

Again, I'd skip Raleigh/ Durham if I were you. I'm originally from a northern state, and part of what I love, love, love about this area is the splendid variety of people I get to interact with... those from the North, South, East or West.

P.S. Calling Atlanta "as deep South as it gets" really reveals how little you know about other southern states.
Why do you think Michigan is un-diverse?

Old 12-24-2009, 12:52 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,450,197 times
Quote:
Couldn't agree more, Lynchburg! I'm thinking of posting one, though, now that you've suggested it....

Thanks! I just have been to the grocery, cooking, cleaning, etc, and sat down to relax for a few minutes and there are soooo many of these threads. Don't they realize how insulting these type of threads are? Does make you wonder what their mothers taught them!

Oh, well, MeadowNC, have a blessed Christmas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary