Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 06:06 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times

Advertisements

Where did they move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandcream View Post
I am talking about the older natives- people who lived in Raleigh back in the 70s and 80s. I know natives still live there but many of them have moved- atleast the ones I know. I'm surprised my parents haven't moved yet but my father's job has kept him in Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 07:19 PM

47 posts, read 97,232 times
I would say that Raleigh is not in the least bit Southern whatsoever. I wish it was. I moved here from another southern state and have been in culture shock ever since. There is not even a country music station on the radio here. It feels alot more like Long Island, New Jersey or other NY Metro area here.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:18 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,450,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Where did they move?

My guess is they moved to one of the "we're still southern; y'all don't want to live here" cities.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:20 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh4000 View Post
There is not even a country music station on the radio here.
WQDR-94.7 FM Station Address:3012 Highwoods Blvd. Raleigh, NC 27604

Is it not on the air?

Old 12-26-2009, 06:29 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
And which cities are they?

I'm just trying to figure out what is a Southern city.

Quote:
they moved to one of the "we're still southern; y'all don't want to live here" cities.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-26-2009 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: Just fixed the quote for you

Old 12-26-2009, 07:18 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,272 times
After living in CA and UT, I now live in NYC with my wife, who was born and raised here. We have visited NC twice the last two years and absolutely love it there. It truly feels more like home than any place I have ever lived but then maybe it's because I have always felt like a misplaced southerner. Being a southerner is more than just the place you live in, it's a state of mind; it's in the heart and soul of a person. Can't explain it but it's just there and it's a good thing.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:38 AM

355 posts, read 958,296 times
My responses are in bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
OK. I guess Southern is a broad term. Some of the positive and negative "Southern" things I was thinking of are:

Extremely conservative politics (the Constitution Party is popular): NC has extremely conservative politics...NC has extremely liberal politics...NC has a lot in between.
Southern Accents are predominate Actually, Yiddish predominates. Strange, but true.
Southern hospitality Perhaps no Southern trait is more irksome than friendliness...I prefer to be greeted with a knee to the groin
NASCAR and college football are the most popular sports That's wrong. Corn-hole is the true sport of Raleigh.
Hostility towards Northerners or "Yankees" Not Northerners, just certain people from Michigan.
Confederate flags are popular There's almost as many Confederate flags here as there are in Pennsylvania - I'm not kidding.
Southern food (grits, greens, fried chicken, BBQ) is very popular Grits are good. Greens are good. Fried chicken is good. BBQ is good.
Excessive suburban sprawl (think Charlotte or Atlanta) Yep, it's getting as bad as Chicago.
Lower wages than Northern areas Yep. Most people are paid in grits, which is awesome.
Racism and Race-consciousness Yep, it's almost as bad as it is in Michigan.
Large pickup trucks and SUVs are popular Welcome to the United States of America. You're clearly new to these parts, so I hope your papers are in order.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I can think of at the moment.
I'm not even from NC (rather, the far western edge of the Mid-West), but even I take offense to the questions.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:53 AM

932 posts, read 3,098,195 times
Raleigh is most definitely southern. Country music stations don't dictate whether or not an area is Southern. The heart of this city has been and always will be Southern, all of the transplants can't change that, and the natives haven't gone anywhere. I find it intersting how different people define southern. I'm 100% southern and have never flown a rebel flag, been into NASCAR or football. (Love me some ACC Basketball, Go Heels!) I definitely have a southern accent and cook southern food. I'd like to think my hospitality is on par with how my Grandma raised me. I grew up in a tobacco farming family that always voted democrat.

I have friends that love NASCAR, drive pick ups with gun racks and rebel flags, vote republican, and the highlight of their year was that the Longbranch was reopening, but that doesn't make them any more southern than me.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:50 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
Raleigh is most definitely southern. Country music stations don't dictate whether or not an area is Southern. The heart of this city has been and always will be Southern, all of the transplants can't change that, and the natives haven't gone anywhere. I find it intersting how different people define southern. I'm 100% southern and have never flown a rebel flag, been into NASCAR or football. (Love me some ACC Basketball, Go Heels!) I definitely have a southern accent and cook southern food. I'd like to think my hospitality is on par with how my Grandma raised me. I grew up in a tobacco farming family that always voted democrat.

I have friends that love NASCAR, drive pick ups with gun racks and rebel flags, vote republican, and the highlight of their year was that the Longbranch was reopening, but that doesn't make them any more southern than me.

You're also from Garner I assume. Maybe that's why you feel this way. Garner is the most southern cultured suburb located next to Raleigh. I love it. Garner is very down to earth and laid back in comparison to the rest of the Raleigh area. It's a very underrated town.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:58 PM

932 posts, read 3,098,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
You're also from Garner I assume. Maybe that's why you feel this way. Garner is the most southern cultured suburb located next to Raleigh. I love it. Garner is very down to earth and laid back in comparison to the rest of the Raleigh area. It's a very underrated town.
I've lived in Garner for the past 4 years, but I grew up with a Raleigh address, going to Cary schools. I lived right in between Raleigh and Cary and my Grandparents had a farm in Apex. We love Garner, and I agree, it's underrated. It reminds me of Cary back in the 1990's. We spend a lot of time in Raleigh, I shop there, my husband works there, we go out there, and have friends there. To me it's still southern, although a lot has changed I still feel the southern roots. Don't get me wrong, there are parts of Raleigh that have changed a lot, but the heart is still the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary