Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 08:23 AM

129 posts, read 565,976 times

Advertisements

I know Knightdale has been speaking out about gangs for awhile now.
http://www.easternwakenews.com/front/story/1157.html (broken link)
Gangs might try to slide a little to the west and make their way to WF.

WF has strong community leaders. They are proud of their historic town and want their residents safe. They will want to keep the reputation of the original Wake Forest University/now Seminary from being tarnished as well. I lived in WF for 7 yrs and the leaders didn't want growth and it didn't happen until the mid 90's. So in a nutshell the leaders in WF have a stong voice and they are heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 09:00 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetOwner2 View Post
Do you have a source for that? Every source I've read indicates that the gang started in El Salvador.

I could try to find one for you. It's what we've been taught in numerous gang training classes I've been to in the past. let me see if I can find the source.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetOwner2 View Post
Do you have a source for that? Every source I've read indicates that the gang started in El Salvador.

Here are a couple...of you type in "Origions of ms-13" you'll find many. The banded together once in LA, because they were being prayed upon by other LA gangs. A lot of the articles mention how they have turned Northern Virginia (DC area) into their east coast stronghold.

http://www.rd.com/content/americas-most-vicious-gang/1/ (towards the bottom of the 2nd page, Raleigh is specifically mentioned)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mara_Salvatrucha

Last edited by Waterboy526; 05-23-2007 at 09:15 AM..

Old 05-23-2007, 01:03 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
We had a lot of MS (Mara Salvatrucha) in LA, CA at the high school where I worked. I didn't realized they were on the East Coast too, although it doesn't surprize me. I know 18th Street has made its way over there as well.

Dawn

Old 05-23-2007, 01:32 PM

9 posts, read 49,951 times
Thanks for the feedback. I know it probably sounds strange to claim that there are no gangs where we live now, since it's in California, but we are in a very expensive area (one reason we're considering NC - the housing prices here are astronomical and we can't trade up out of our starter home). To reach a gang territory, you would have to drive 20 minutes or so on the freeway. There are no gang members in the local schools, no gang shootings or stabbings, no graffiti, and if any kid were to walk around wearing gangster-type clothing he would stick out like a sore thumb. And I like it that way! I understand that downtown areas have gang problems, but I just hope that if we do buy in Wakefield Plantation or Heritage, none of the local kids will be in gangs, and the local shopping malls, movie theaters, etc. will be safe from that kind of thing. Is this a realistic hope?

Old 05-23-2007, 01:39 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaksus View Post
I just hope that if we do buy in Wakefield Plantation or Heritage, none of the local kids will be in gangs, and the local shopping malls, movie theaters, etc. will be safe from that kind of thing. Is this a realistic hope?
Yes, this is very realistic. I live in N. Raleigh a little south of Wakefield Plantation and have never encountered any gang related problems in the area. The Local Malls and Movie Theaters are very nice and have a safe environment. I understand you don't know this area well yet and are just being cautious, but the places you are considering are in great areas. Good Luck!

Old 05-23-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I know it probably sounds strange to claim that there are no gangs where we live now, since it's in California, but we are in a very expensive area (one reason we're considering NC - the housing prices here are astronomical and we can't trade up out of our starter home). To reach a gang territory, you would have to drive 20 minutes or so on the freeway. There are no gang members in the local schools, no gang shootings or stabbings, no graffiti, and if any kid were to walk around wearing gangster-type clothing he would stick out like a sore thumb. And I like it that way! I understand that downtown areas have gang problems, but I just hope that if we do buy in Wakefield Plantation or Heritage, none of the local kids will be in gangs, and the local shopping malls, movie theaters, etc. will be safe from that kind of thing. Is this a realistic hope?
Loudoun and Fairfax counties in VA are very expensive areas too, median home price was $550,000 last year when I left, with most new single family homes costing $600,000 or more. Those areas still had gang problems. The gangs there are relitively new within the last 5-10 years and people there will still swear that there are no gangs. That's fine if you want to live in make believe world, but gangs can literally be found everywhere now! You will have 12-15 people living in a townhouse and all paying towards the rent...that is one way gangs wind up in expensive areas. Also, believe it or not upper middle class and rich kids are also in gangs!

This area is a great area though and by no means do I mean to scare anyone. It's not like you're gonna run into a pack of thugs on your way out to buy groceries, just keep in mind that gangs follow population shifts and all towns/cities big and small have to deal with gangs. Does this mean that Wake Forest is Southside Chicago or East L.A.? Of course not, but if you look hard enough, gang graffiti (tagging) can be found almost anywhere if you know what you're looking for.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:56 PM

271 posts, read 1,213,152 times
I was talking to my neighbors sister who is a representative with Wake County schools and in particular "problem kids". And she was telling us how every town in Wake County and for that matter most towns in larger cities have "Gang Issues" including the more ritzy areas like Wake Forest, Cary/Apex, Chapel Hill. But she was also telling us that gangs around here are more of the play play type variety. And typically don't have nearly the amount of violence, etc. that the northeast and west coast gangs have.

Basically too many teens with too much time on their hands.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:08 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
From my internet searching today I found several sites indicating that there is gang activity in Wake Forest high schools. We are considering moving to North Raleigh from a part of California that is extremely safe, and this worries me a lot. Even though we want to send our kids to private school, I can't tolerate that kind of thing being anywhere near my family. I was also surprised and disappointed to read sites discussing "Durham and Chapel Hill gangs." How prevalent is this? Do any of you who live in Wake Forest see gang members around? I'm freaking out!
LOL...well....there are gangs in the area....they are a fact of life these days anywhere. You'd have to cut off all contact with civilization to not be in an a area that had no gang activity at all.

But is Wake Forest a hot bed of such things....no. Sorry..but I am sort of giggling here. I know it's a serious question, and you have every reason to check things out....but it's sort of funny to those that live here.

We have an active police force that seem to keep pretty good tabs at what is happening.....they certainly aren't running around terrorizing innocents, at the high school or anywhere else.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:12 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Two things.....you may not know of gangs in your area...but they are there.

Three....yeah...we really can do things outside, shop, visit places and not dodge criminals and gun shots. Our schools have disipline and you see little if any graffiati anywhere. Last time I saw some it was on a train car running through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary