Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:29 PM

149 posts, read 773,931 times

Advertisements

I looked in to U-haul but they don't do "one way" rentals. Any other suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 02:09 PM

578 posts, read 3,080,753 times
Buy a used one on Craigslist then resell it and get your money back out of it when you're done with it. Note that you'll need to confirm the particular carrier works with your roof rack. Most of them require cross bars. And some factory cross bars are not supported. For example, my Honda Odyssey factory cross bars are not supported for hard top carriers from Thule. Something about the Honda factory bars not supporting the lift load from the carrier. They're held on by 4 screws and apparently failed testing for hard carriers. I had to opt for a soft carrier which is water "resistant" and not water proof. But which is much cheaper.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:38 PM

149 posts, read 773,931 times
Maybe I should just buy a soft carrier??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
Buy a used one on Craigslist then resell it and get your money back out of it when you're done with it. Note that you'll need to confirm the particular carrier works with your roof rack. Most of them require cross bars. And some factory cross bars are not supported. For example, my Honda Odyssey factory cross bars are not supported for hard top carriers from Thule. Something about the Honda factory bars not supporting the lift load from the carrier. They're held on by 4 screws and apparently failed testing for hard carriers. I had to opt for a soft carrier which is water "resistant" and not water proof. But which is much cheaper.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:27 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
We bought a soft carrier, but had to put a piece of plywood in the bottom of it because it was hard to fit properly on the car with it being soft. At that time we had a nissan xterra.

I would also try craigslist.

Leigh

Old 05-23-2007, 07:39 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
There's a couple on craigslist under $100. Search in sporting goods for "yakima", "thule" or "carrier" and you'll find most of them.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:47 PM

56 posts, read 404,071 times
Any thoughts on the small to medium size uhaul size trailers for one way or for purchasing them cheaply? The daily rate on them is not bad, the cost of gasoline returning it and then returning back to our new home to be is the costly part (and tiring too).

Thanks,
mshs2

Old 05-30-2007, 02:58 AM

185 posts, read 991,933 times
uhual usually will rent a small truck witha pull behind trailer for your car, one way. we've rented that way alot in pa, nj and ny. even crossing state lines. that's probably the easiest.

depending on the weight of the items, if they're small enough for a roof rack, perhaps you can ups/fed-ex them to your new location for less than the cost of a rack that you'll use once. just an outside of the box idea to look into.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:41 PM

56 posts, read 404,071 times
Shipping prices would be a killer, too.

We will probably rent a small storage unit (with heating and ac and cameras) for a month and then just move it on the next trip back to our new home to be. Obviously I am planning on traveling back home once or twice a month for business and for us to visit friends and family here. Please pray that gasoline in the southeast never gets nearly as bad as California's or NJ's (isn't NJ the NE state that is another extremely greedy gasoline place?!?).

I'll ship what I can via UPS Ground. FedEx is the most expensive way. I had checked into FedEx's business account and ended up decided to never get a business account with them due to being way too expensive. Besides, I love UPS. Once something is roughly 5lbs. UPS is the cheapest way.

Thanks,
mshs2

Old 06-07-2007, 07:38 AM

578 posts, read 3,080,753 times
Quick update: I purchased a Thule Nomad soft carrier for $90 shipped online. If I had to do it all over again I'd have gone for a hard carrier for the following reasons:

* Soft bags sit right on your roof potentially scratching your paint if you don't clean the roof first.
* They're not 100% waterproof, not that I've had any leak or penetration issues yet. But I haven't driven through a thunderstorm with it either.
* They're held on with straps. Hard carriers are usually held on with steel U-bolts. I didn't have my straps come loose at all but whizzing down the road at 80mph I kept looking for my bag flying off my roof.
* They're less secure since it's a zippered bag that can't be locked and could easily be unstrapped from the car and stolen.
* They can be noisy if you don't secure the strap ends well. You'll hear the strap ends flapping madly against your car or the bag which to me is extremely annoying. I already have 3 kids in my car I don't need any more noise.

However, the price is right. And they fold up into a little carry bag for easy storage which is good since I'll only use it a few times a year probably. Also, you don't need crossbars for the bags. Just raised side rails to strap them to. So if you have a car with no crossbars (my Honda Odyssey) the bag saves you money there, too.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:51 AM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times
I got a soft carrier for like 50 bucks at autozone. Just check out the deals for pepboys, autozone, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary