Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:02 PM

19 posts, read 39,093 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

We are planning to move to North Carolina from NJ. We are hoping to buy a 3 bedroom townhome in Cary or nearby. (Please suggest if there is any city/neighbourhood that I should be looking).

Following are my considerations for my purchase:
- Price max of 250,000
- Good school district
- Good residential neighbourbood

Also, what will be an approximate yearly property tax for such a property?

Thanks for the advices!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 07:16 PM

43,303 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akot783 View Post
Hi folks,

We are planning to move to North Carolina from NJ. We are hoping to buy a 3 bedroom townhome in Cary or nearby. (Please suggest if there is any city/neighbourhood that I should be looking).

Following are my considerations for my purchase:
- Price max of 250,000
- Good school district
- Good residential neighbourbood

Also, what will be an approximate yearly property tax for such a property?

Thanks for the advices!
Quite a few neighborhoods in Cary will be available at <$250,000.
Oxxford Hunt, MacArthur Park and other Parkway neighborhoods, Trappers Run, Park Village, Dutchess Village, Scottish Hills, Northwoods, Silverton, etc.

Schools are administered by Wake County. www.wcpss.net So, Cary does not run the schools. The county controls school assignments and schedules.

Property Taxes: http://www.wakegov.com/NR/rdonlyres/...xRates2009.pdf

In Cary you would figure 0.86% of the assessed value.
At $250,000 assessed value, you are looking at approximately $2150 in property tax plus $15.00 vehicle decal fee, and $20.00 Wake County Recycling Fee.
But assessed value is not linked to market value, so taxes could be up to 10% either way.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 01-09-2010 at 07:34 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 07:32 PM

481 posts, read 1,086,812 times
We live in Apex and moved here from NJ 5 years ago. The tax rate for us is about 1.1 percent. You will save when it comes to property taxes, house prices and car insurance.

Not sure what your job situation is but please be sure you are either transferring, have one lined up or have enough $$ in the bank to live off of. I'm not trying to scare you from moving - we did it without having jobs but A- the real estate bubble had not burst and B - jobs were around. Now I didn't expect to make what I did in NJ but for me being in IT I'm not making what I hoped I would be but up side is we have a house we love, in a town we love, weather and people are great and commute is better.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:57 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
To keep it simple...figure your tax bill to be 1% of your sales price. It is an ESTIMATE but close. For example...a house that cost $250,000...your tax bill will be $2500 per year. It is easier than trying to figure the different areas because Cary's tax rate is different from Raleigh's tax rate and Holly Spring's tax rate, etc.

Vicki

Old 01-09-2010, 11:38 PM

Thanks for the comments.

Yes. Job is not a problem, I am getting transfered.

Couple of questions,
- How did the real estate debacle affect Raleigh/Cary markets? Is this near bottom prices now or is it still going down or has it started recovering now?
- Also, are there good new construction options available right now in the area that any one recommends? (NJ its all 25-30 year old properties for these prices)

Old 01-10-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the comments.

Yes. Job is not a problem, I am getting transfered.

Couple of questions,
- How did the real estate debacle affect Raleigh/Cary markets? Is this near bottom prices now or is it still going down or has it started recovering now?
- Also, are there good new construction options available right now in the area that any one recommends? (NJ its all 25-30 year old properties for these prices)
Yes, the Raleigh-Cary market has taken some whacks. But, of course, hardest hit are luxury, or homes on compromised lots (power lines, backing to highways, steep driveways, flood plains, etc), or poorly kept homes.
Our rise was not so steep and fall not so precipitious as other areas. IOW, you aren't coming to South Florida.

New construction under $250,000 is readily available, mostly by tract builders, with a few exceptions.
In Cary, you will be able to see homes at that price in Stonewater by Lennar.
The neighborhoods I listed above are central to Cary, but homes are in that 10--30 year old age bracket.
You may consider other areas than Cary. Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina can accommodate you, with plenty of neigbhorhoods offering new homes in that bracket.
Ballentine Farms in Fuquay Varina comes to mind immediately. David Weekly homes is close to closing out, with only a handful of homes and lots left, so it may be possible to pick up a real value.
Your tax rate would be slightly higher, but home prices lower, so tax bills would be approx a wash out.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:23 AM

74 posts, read 219,429 times
We moved here from NJ a few months back and live in Morrisville - right next to Cary. Church St Townes (Townhouses) and we love it here. Check them out - good value for the money. Taxes are about 1%. Say hi when you get down here!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yes, the Raleigh-Cary market has taken some whacks. But, of course, hardest hit are luxury, or homes on compromised lots (power lines, backing to highways, steep driveways, flood plains, etc), or poorly kept homes.
Our rise was not so steep and fall not so precipitious as other areas. IOW, you aren't coming to South Florida.

New construction under $250,000 is readily available, mostly by tract builders, with a few exceptions.
In Cary, you will be able to see homes at that price in Stonewater by Lennar.
The neighborhoods I listed above are central to Cary, but homes are in that 10--30 year old age bracket.
You may consider other areas than Cary. Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina can accommodate you, with plenty of neigbhorhoods offering new homes in that bracket.
Ballentine Farms in Fuquay Varina comes to mind immediately. David Weekly homes is close to closing out, with only a handful of homes and lots left, so it may be possible to pick up a real value.
Your tax rate would be slightly higher, but home prices lower, so tax bills would be approx a wash out.
Thanks. This is good information. We were actually looking at older homes in realtor.com. But it looks like there are good townhomes available at these prices in and around Cary. We will defenitely focus on the new construction options.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks. This is good information. We were actually looking at older homes in realtor.com. But it looks like there are good townhomes available at these prices in and around Cary. We will defenitely focus on the new construction options.
You know, I missed the townhome reference.
All my references have been to single family detached homes.

Oh, yes. You have tons of new construction townhome options.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:47 AM

446 posts, read 1,394,711 times
Once again, great info from Mike. OP....Best of luck on your relocation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary