Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 02:42 PM

23 posts, read 52,238 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of relocating area and would want to live in a neighborhood within walking distance to coffee shops, bars, farmers market, interesting shops in Raleigh or Durham. We are hoping to find an area where we won't stick out for not having kids, but also where there are other people in their 30s and 40s. Could you all give us some ideas of neighborhoods and zip codes we should be looking in to get a sense of pricing for a 2-3 bedroom condo/TH/single family? Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 04:07 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Some Zips in the Triangle are odd shaped and include both urban and rural areas. One such zip is 27603. It includes much of the West side of DT Raleigh but it also goes out into the burbs pretty far. So, you have to be careful to not just search by zip. That said, in Raleigh, check out 27603, 27605, 27601, 27604 and 27608. This will cover a variety of in-town neighborhoods that might match your requirements. I am sure that someone else can chime in about the zips in Durham. I don't know them.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:41 PM

76 posts, read 194,928 times
I would recommend in the neighborhoods close to one of the downtown areas of Durham and/or Raleigh. Specifically for Durham, you can check out downtown Durham (27701), Trinity Park, Old North Durham, Cleveland-Holloway Neighborhood and several more directly surrounding downtown Durham. A bit further out around the 9th Street area of Durham Watts-Hillandale. On the opposite side of downtown Durham around adjacent to the American Tobacco District is a new development (I don't know how soon you would be relocating, but its still in the development stages) is the Rolling Hills/Southside Neighborhood and Heritage Square (again both the latter are well away from being definite as too both are in development, pending economy?)
Also, outside of Durham is Chapel Hill and Carboro having several of the amenities you have suggested. Good Luck

Old 01-10-2010, 06:46 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
If you aren't planning ever to have children, you should join the email list for Raleigh No Kidding, a local social group for people who neither have nor want kids. They have monthly happy hours, book clubs, and numerous outings. It really is for the whole Triangle, not just Raleigh (they often have happy hours in Durham). You could join the mailing list and ask people there for the climate for nonparents in various neighborhoods, and I would definitely encourage you to show up to a happy hour sometime...lots of both newcomers and long-timers.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:01 PM

33 posts, read 248,991 times
I would recommend Durham zip code 27713 and in particular Eagle's Pointe and Bucks Crossing neighborhoods. They are walking distance to Southpoint Mall and so convenient to I40.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:40 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,209 times
Here's a list of farmer's markets:
Growing Small Farms: Triangle Area Farmers' Markets

(Raleigh is in Wake County, Durham is in Durham County, Chapel Hill / Carrboro are in Orange County).

I'd take BullCityCulture's recommendations for Durham or look at Carrboro for the best Famer's Markets and coffee shops.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:55 AM

29 posts, read 64,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish76 View Post
My husband and I are thinking of relocating area and would want to live in a neighborhood within walking distance to coffee shops, bars, farmers market, interesting shops in Raleigh or Durham. We are hoping to find an area where we won't stick out for not having kids, but also where there are other people in their 30s and 40s. Could you all give us some ideas of neighborhoods and zip codes we should be looking in to get a sense of pricing for a 2-3 bedroom condo/TH/single family? Thanks very much!
Carrboro (27510 zip) is neither in Raleigh nor Durham but you can certainly find a condo there in walkiing distance to all the facilities you list and it has a young hip population with of course students from UNC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary