Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:08 PM

8 posts, read 21,243 times

Advertisements

We are scheduled to relocate to the area in March and were originally anchored on the south west area originally (cary, apex, holly springs).

I have found a few houses in east / south east Raleigh in the zip code area of 27610 that have peaked my interest. Is anyone familiar with this area? How is the crime rate and school systems?

We are a young family with a 4 year old and want to make sure we land in a safe and fun environment. Any information you could share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 PM

192 posts, read 618,129 times
the historic oakwood area is adorable, though expensive, i think. when i was looking for a house for rent, i was noticing that a lot of streets near shaw university seemed a bit unsafe and run down (boarded up windows or bars over windows and lots of trash)....there are several similar posts on this, and others seem to have the same opinion of the shaw university area.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:42 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times
Ok well, Oakwood is ITB and not the area the OP is referring to at all. 27610 (better known as Southeast Raleigh) is the worst area of Raleigh for crime...stick with Cary/Apex/HS...the SE Raleigh area is cheap for a reason!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:45 PM

192 posts, read 618,129 times
i was just saying oakwood, since its pretty closeby....

there are other areas of raleigh just as affordable as the 27610 area...i guess youd just have to decide if you wanted to sacrifice that exact location of raleigh in exchange for an area 5-10min away with more safety....

Old 01-18-2010, 07:52 AM

167 posts, read 567,142 times
//www.city-data.com/zipmaps/Ral...-Carolina.html

27610 is huuuuuuge. Could you be more specific?

Old 01-18-2010, 08:18 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,647,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Ok well, Oakwood is ITB and not the area the OP is referring to at all. 27610 (better known as Southeast Raleigh) is the worst area of Raleigh for crime...stick with Cary/Apex/HS...the SE Raleigh area is cheap for a reason!
While Oakwood is not even 27610 (it is 27604), not ALL of 27610 is located OTB, even if that is where the OP is referencing. There are several mid-century up and coming neighborhoods in 27610 that are ITB, slightly north and east of Oakwood. Lockwood, Windsor Park and Longview come to mind. These neighborhoods are in somewhat of a transitional stage, with an existing blue collar demographic. However, since the area is close to downtown, offers large lots, and is reasonably priced, many young families and professionals are moving in and fixing up the brick ranches. It seems like a quiet area to me. I have two friends who live in those neighborhoods and they like living there.

I think Longview Gardens is also in 27610, and many houses in that neighborhood are quite large compared to the other neighborhoods I mentioned. I've seen some of them listed for $300k+.

I don't really know much about the OTB 27610 neighborhoods, but it is a zip code that encompasses a large area, so you can't really make a sweeping generalization about the entire zip code. I'd say the same applies to most zip codes in Raleigh.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:29 AM

932 posts, read 3,098,557 times
Like others have said, 27610 is a huge area. I lived in that area, outside of the beltline in a delightful neighborhood. You really need to check it out for yourself. There are some areas that I wouldn't venture into after dark, but the same can be said for Cary, Apex, and Holly Springs.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:38 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post

I don't really know much about the OTB 27610 neighborhoods, but it is a zip code that encompasses a large area, so you can't really make a sweeping generalization about the entire zip code. I'd say the same applies to most zip codes in Raleigh.
miami blue is right. I've posted about this before. I have lived in other areas of Raleigh since moving here in '74, and lived in 27610 for the past 9yrs. It is a big, diverse zip. We have homes in neighborhoods that run the gamut in size and price.

Many posters who say to stay away from here, clearly don't know enough about the area, otherwise they would know that like many other zip's, it's a mix. On the crime map for where I live, there is nothing listed. A quick ck of the MLS shows homes currently for sale go up to $800k!

This one is on a golf course:
http://www.fmrealty.com/site/property/images/1658986a.jpg (broken link)

And, this for sale in the southern end, with Johnston County schools for $180k
http://www.fmrealty.com/site/property/images/1697870a.jpg (broken link)

While most of it is suburban, a small portion is urban. I happen to live in an area that has ponds, lots of wildlife (ducks, geese, heron, beaver, deer, even coyote!). We have a small organic farm next to our subdivision. It's a great place for kids to have an old fashioned childhood. I'm 15 mins from downtown! South of me is Poole Rd, this is still mostly rural and has country style subdivisions each with large lots. There are many nice new homes there. if you take Poole Rd into Raleigh you first reach the beltline and then go through an older, more built up area.

The eastern edge of the zip borders Knightdale. The roads here are excellent. We can get to many places in 10-20 mins. on 540 or the beltline (I-440).
The NW is downtown Raleigh and borders zip 27604, and Oakwood, the victoria era homes. The southern end borders Garner & Clayton, small, growing towns.

Here's a zip map Zip Code 27610, Raleigh, North Carolina Zip Code Boundary Map (NC)

The other areas posters mentioned are fine areas with good schools & decent amenities. But to each his own. Personally, I choose not to live near a nuclear power plant which is in the area of Apex, Holly Springs, Cary, etc. But I'm in the minority as lots of ppl who move here seem to be steered toward or choose to live in those areas, nothing wrong with that, but this is to illustrate that what it right for one is wrong for another.

Feel free to DM me with questions about the areas you are considering.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 PM

171 posts, read 430,396 times
My wife and I live in the one of the ITB 50s brick ranch neighborhoods and we love where we live. Our neighbors are great, the area is quiet, we're walking distance to magnet schools, it's diverse, the lot size is respectable, and our mortgage is the same as our one bedroom apartment in Cary. There are a lot of great places in the Triangle, to each their own.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:19 PM

8 posts, read 21,243 times
Default thank you

Thanks everyone! My head is spinning with options right now. I have a meeting with a realtor while in town this week and hope to get some new perspective.... most of what we are finding is in Cary but I fear the traffic. Post on this to come very soon...

Thanks again for your time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary