Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:00 PM

21 posts, read 79,908 times

Advertisements

My family and I have been pondering a move for over a year. We've made several visits down during spring and summer and really liked what we saw. We love our house and neighborhood up in Massachusetts, but we really can't take the long cold SNOWY winters for 5+ months out of EVERY year. For those who have moved there from someplace cold, is it everything you thought it would be? I envision being able to go for bike rides with the kids (obviously some days are cold) on certain days throughout the winter without being all bundled up. Do you find that you get outside much more during the winter now that you're in NC?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 04:06 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2NC View Post
My family and I have been pondering a move for over a year. We've made several visits down during spring and summer and really liked what we saw. We love our house and neighborhood up in Massachusetts, but we really can't take the long cold SNOWY winters for 5+ months out of EVERY year. For those who have moved there from someplace cold, is it everything you thought it would be? I envision being able to go for bike rides with the kids (obviously some days are cold) on certain days throughout the winter without being all bundled up. Do you find that you get outside much more during the winter now that you're in NC?

Thanks in advance!
I'm here for 10 years now. From Pennsylvania.
Yes, I enjoy going outside more in the winter. I don't miss tracking snow and slush into the house. We scrape a windshield about once a year, some years not at all.
Your blood will thin somewhat within a few years and winters here will seem to last forever, too. I've had spring fever since January.

The weather is a huge factor, but the area has so much more to offer.
I like to say, "The weather brought me. The people keep me."

Old 04-10-2007, 07:31 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,231,635 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Escaping cold and snowy MA winters was one of our main reasons for moving as well and we haven't been disappointed (my wife and I, the kids keep hoping for snow)

Hard to beat taking the kids Trick or Treating in shorts......

Finishing Thanksgiving dinner by sitting out on the porch...

Wearing shorts at least into December.....

Getting the kids a new bike for Christmas and they actually get to ride it that day,not 3 months later....

Kids soccer starting in February and snow and mud is NOT a factor....

We wanted our kids to be able to spend more time outdoors and that has definitely been the case. My wife and I are both runners and the mild winters are also conducive to a lot more comfortable outdoor runs. I hardly ever use the treadmill.

Best part is there still are distinct seasons, but Winter is really only a couple of months long (ignoring current unseasonable cold snap) followed by a REAL spring (not Mud season) and then summer...

Old 04-10-2007, 07:38 AM

193 posts, read 245,507 times
Is it worth moving solely for a milder winter? No.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:48 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHorns View Post
Is it worth moving solely for a milder winter? No.
Sure it is. Like someone said, the weather brings one here, the people (and everything else that is so very good) keeps one here.

I didn't miss snowy NH this winter at all. I might miss the summer and fall a bit, but spring is mud season, and summer and fall are short, and then it's back to the struggles with the snow and cold, and wind chills at 20 below for days at a time. No thanks.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Escaping cold and snowy MA winters was one of our main reasons for moving as well and we haven't been disappointed (my wife and I, the kids keep hoping for snow)

Hard to beat taking the kids Trick or Treating in shorts......

Finishing Thanksgiving dinner by sitting out on the porch...

Wearing shorts at least into December.....

Getting the kids a new bike for Christmas and they actually get to ride it that day,not 3 months later....

Kids soccer starting in February and snow and mud is NOT a factor....

We wanted our kids to be able to spend more time outdoors and that has definitely been the case. My wife and I are both runners and the mild winters are also conducive to a lot more comfortable outdoor runs. I hardly ever use the treadmill.

Best part is there still are distinct seasons, but Winter is really only a couple of months long (ignoring current unseasonable cold snap) followed by a REAL spring (not Mud season) and then summer...
That is exactly what I was looking to hear. My wife and I are both avid runners as well and much prefer running outside to using the treadmill. I could wear shorts all year long (and sometimes try to although the snow and wind make it uncomfortable) . The idea of not having a foot + of snow/slush/sand/salt covering the ground for most winters is very appealing to me. If you get a day or 2 with warm temps, you can then go out and actually play in the yard with the kids and dogs without bundling everyone up and then tracking the mess back into the house. Thanks for the useful info. BTW, How long ago did you make the move?

Old 04-10-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Sure it is. Like someone said, the weather brings one here, the people (and everything else that is so very good) keeps one here.

I didn't miss snowy NH this winter at all. I might miss the summer and fall a bit, but spring is mud season, and summer and fall are short, and then it's back to the struggles with the snow and cold, and wind chills at 20 below for days at a time. No thanks.
I lived in Nashua, NH for 6 years before moving back to western MA. The hard part about actually making the move is the fact that we are in a a neighborhood we like and a house we love... but.... I'm trying to look at the big picture. My kids are still young and my wife and I (mostly me) can't stand going into hibernation every November, snowblowing the driveway, roof raking to prevent ice dams, etc., etc. etc. I'd rather move now than wait until the kids are more involved with their schools. Just tough to actually put the house and the market and not look back. I need a push

Old 04-10-2007, 08:00 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,231,635 times
Quote:
That is exactly what I was looking to hear. My wife and I are both avid runners as well and much prefer running outside to using the treadmill. I could wear shorts all year long (and sometimes try to although the snow and wind make it uncomfortable) . The idea of not having a foot + of snow/slush/sand/salt covering the ground for most winters is very appealing to me. If you get a day or 2 with warm temps, you can then go out and actually play in the yard with the kids and dogs without bundling everyone up and then tracking the mess back into the house. Thanks for the useful info. BTW, How long ago did you make the move?
We moved here 4 years ago from Franklin, MA and I vividly remember the day I made the decision. The winter of 2003, a very snowy one at that, we had a very long, very steep driveway leading up to our house. One of our neighbors had a plow and would plow all the driveways on the cul-de-sac...but you still get the ice underneath.

I think it was the third time in a month my wife's minivan had gotten stuck sideways in the driveway....wedged into the 3 foot high snowbanks....I'm out at 11:00 PM with my neigbor, slipping and sliding all over the place, trying to get the minivan unstuck and I just snapped

We had been thinking of moving to NC for awhile but when I came in from the cold I went online, sent my resume to Duke, got a call 2 weeks later, was on a plane for an interview a week after that, put the house on the market and we were down here as soon as school let out....

Haven't regretted it or looked back since

Old 04-10-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
We moved here 4 years ago from Franklin, MA and I vividly remember the day I made the decision. The winter of 2003, a very snowy one at that, we had a very long, very steep driveway leading up to our house. One of our neighbors had a plow and would plow all the driveways on the cul-de-sac...but you still get the ice underneath.

I think it was the third time in a month my wife's minivan had gotten stuck sideways in the driveway....wedged into the 3 foot high snowbanks....I'm out at 11:00 PM with my neigbor, slipping and sliding all over the place, trying to get the minivan unstuck and I just snapped

We had been thinking of moving to NC for awhile but when I came in from the cold I went online, sent my resume to Duke, got a call 2 weeks later, was on a plane for an interview a week after that, put the house on the market and we were down here as soon as school let out....

Haven't regretted it or looked back since
LOL That sounds like me when I'm out snowblowing and then the plow comes along and pushes 3 more feet of snow and ice onto the base of my driveway. Needless to say, I'm glad the kids aren't within earshot to hear my grumblings...

Old 04-10-2007, 08:55 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
I was standing on Main Street, Clarion Pa, I think in 1991, and the bank thermometer said "-28." I believe it froze on the way down, as all reports were -30, or lower.
I had snow almost to my knees and I am 6'5" tall.
The wind was 25 to 30 mile per hour and one brain cell woke up, and never shut up. "This is crazy!" it said.

In 1995 I spent the first week of January in Mid-Wisconsin for training. One day it was -18. That was the high temp. That night, at -38 the oil in the rental car congealed and it had to be towed in, and got smashed up. The feller I reported to asked me if I was learning anything.
Me: "Oh, yeah!"
Him: "We can arrange a 2nd week for you."
Me: "I have a plane ticket, and I fully intend to use it!"

A year later in Lebanon, PA, we had 3 feet of snow in a week, and sub-zero temps and a week-long state of emergency.

The next year, I was offered a transfer to Raleigh-Cary area.
That little brain cell had made its point, and here we are.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-10-2007 at 09:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary