Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:22 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,079,436 times

Advertisements

We are debating on moving to one of these areas. Pros, cons of each? Maybe someone out there can give us some honest advice? In your opinion, which is better? Must have low crime, good schools, be conveniently located (stores close-by), jobs, and friendly people. We want to be close to the beach and both are these places are doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,150 times
I lived in Hampton Roads 20 years ago and found it congested,suburban sprawl,no urban planning and a mess. I can only imagine what became of it. If I had to go back I definately would pick the pennisula- Williamsburg area.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:11 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,832 times
I haven't lived in Hampton Roads but my wife is from Hampton and I've spent a ton of time there the past 17 years.

Pros: the Chesapeake Bay and the Ocean; proximity to other destinations such as the Colonial areas etc. All of the military installations, if you're into that. Some history, moreso than Raleigh.

Cons: Where to start?

The area has a huge transient population due to the military bases in the area. IMHO this is manifest in people not really caring much about their property, so much of the area just looks haggard.

Parts of the area have tons of crime. There are areas of Hampton, Newport News, and Southside that just are not safe any time of day.

I never really noticed an enticing job market in Hampton Roads, certainly not compared to Raleigh. There's tons of service jobs, but no tech, bio-medical, etc demand.

Hampton Roads has even less character and less of a city feel than Raleigh. Norfolk has some really neat areas and things to see and do, but there are very few neighborhood or city-feel spots in Hampton or NN.

Traffic in the Hampton Roads area is a mess, esp if you have to travel I-64 at all. The Norfolk airport doesn't have the same service scope as RDU, which is a bit of a pain.

The Raleigh area also has superb post-secondary education opportunities compared to Hampton Roads. I don't know how K-12 compares though, we do not have children.

We moved to the Raleigh area a year ago and I would never compare it to Hampton Roads. This area is much more dynamic socially and intellectually, and it's just an all-around better place to be. It's not for everyone, and perhaps Hampton Roads is more your style, I dunno.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:40 AM

460 posts, read 2,422,476 times
I have lived in Raleigh area and have been to Hampton roads good friends live there. Military towns have a certain flavor. You either love them or hate them.
This job market you speak of is contractors. Loads of them.
The housing market there is great in the summer. It is near Va beach.
For me I did not like Hampton or Hampton Roads. The mayor is a dingbat.
I never hear good things about it from my friends and they are looking to leave there.
If you don't mind the military people and being near the beach it might be for you.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:57 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,521,093 times
I currently live in VA Beach and am hoping to move to the Raleigh area. Housing is quite a bit more expensive here than Raleigh and even moreso close to the new city center. (The Town Center of Virginia Beach - Virginia Office, Retail & Residential Space For Lease). As someone else mentioned it is a highly transient area bc of the military so I have found people in general don't seem highly interested in developing new relationships. Traffic really is pretty bad especially on the major interstates at rush hour. And if you decide to live out of the city and commute in you can expect 30 min to 1 hour commutes depending on traffic. Good paying jobs are difficult to find and then even the more experienced-qualified folks may make less than other competing markets. If you want to live anonomously it's a great place to live.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:15 AM

260 posts, read 1,191,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We are debating on moving to one of these areas. Pros, cons of each? Maybe someone out there can give us some honest advice? In your opinion, which is better? Must have low crime, good schools, be conveniently located (stores close-by), jobs, and friendly people. We want to be close to the beach and both are these places are doable.
We currently live in Va. Bch right now but have a little vacation home in Fuquay-Varina (about 30 min to Raleigh). We just bought it about 6 months ago and LOVE the area! The people are friendly, close to shops & stores, really cute little down town area and much more laid back than Hampton Roads - not to mention crime.
My husband is in the Military and we can't wait to leave this area. TO much traffic, congestion, strip malls on every corner and the crime is really out of hand here. So depressing to watch the News here! We really don't care if were near the beach,, rather a cute town w/less crime and good schools.
Good luck on your decision!

Old 05-28-2007, 01:59 PM

We looked at Fuquay about 5 years ago. We really liked the area and all the stores (that we like) to offer. Houses were very reasonable. There only thing that made us change our mind. People were friendly, but seemed to have been there their entire life. We didn't want to feel like an outsider. Don't know if that has changed, let me know. I'm looking for an area that has a mixed group of people so we can fit in. Nothing against the locals, but I lived in a small town in PA and that's how it was. We are not like that, we are friendly to everybody. We probaly should have stayed in the town longer, but only had 1 day. What about stuff for teens to do?

Old 05-28-2007, 02:01 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We looked at Fuquay about 5 years ago. We really liked the area and all the stores (that we like) to offer. Houses were very reasonable. There only thing that made us change our mind. People were friendly, but seemed to have been there their entire life. We didn't want to feel like an outsider. Don't know if that has changed, let me know. I'm looking for an area that has a mixed group of people so we can fit in. Nothing against the locals, but I lived in a small town in PA and that's how it was. We are not like that, we are friendly to everybody. We probaly should have stayed in the town longer, but only had 1 day. What about stuff for teens to do?
beckycat...I betcha I lived in a smaller town in PA than you did...

Old 05-28-2007, 02:21 PM

where' that???

Old 05-28-2007, 02:23 PM

How does NC compare to PA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary