Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 05:13 AM

46 posts, read 132,079 times

Advertisements

People are putting dirty, bottles with curdled milk, pastry containers with frosting still in it, cans with tomato sauce in them, the list goes on. Recycling items need to be clean enough to not cause decay, clean enough so not to call bugs and rodents to the container. The items mentioned ruin a complete bag of items so that the recycling crew ends up putting it all in the trash anyway. Please pay attention and help keep our environment healthy. it just takes a little time and attention. Thanks so much for caring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 05:22 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,598,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanadonna View Post
People are putting dirty, bottles with curdled milk, pastry containers with frosting still in it, cans with tomato sauce in them, the list goes on. Recycling items need to be clean enough to not cause decay, clean enough so not to call bugs and rodents to the container. The items mentioned ruin a complete bag of items so that the recycling crew ends up putting it all in the trash anyway. Please pay attention and help keep our environment healthy. it just takes a little time and attention. Thanks so much for caring.
Where can we find the rules? Do different cities have different rules? Since I have never seen the rules, I'm just doin' the same thing that I did in my last city, which may not apply to where I live now.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:19 PM

46 posts, read 132,079 times
Well, by rules I mean CLEAN plastics in the plastic tub, CLEAN glass in the glass tub, etc. Where my son lives, there is no need to separate anything, you can put all glass, plastic, paper in one bin. I guess the city sells it to someone who will sort it for profit. However, when we went there the other day the bins were full of trash bags which were full of dirty items, lots of food particles and overall just full of trash. Our environment is in trouble and by not taking the time to clean and sort, what is the benefit? We may as well just throw everything in the landfill. By only one response to my original posting, maybe no one cares much anyway. I will move on to subjects like where is the best pizza or taco in town!!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:12 PM

Hmm. I guess it depends on what your definition of "clean" is. The previous city that I lived in specified that food containers should be "rinsed".

Old 06-08-2007, 11:42 AM

473 posts, read 1,517,546 times
I work for a recycling company with a location in Durham. Basically it's rinsed out glass, aluminum cans, steel cans, and #1 and #2 plastics, like Tide bottles, water bottles, and soda bottles. Basically anything made of paper - unless it has food in it (pizza boxes) or other non-paper stuff like glue (lots of it). Not plastic containers that hold toxic or harmful stuff that doesn't rinse well, like motor oil or gasoline.

We like to say whatever you can throw away inside your house. The stuff outside is not so good (fertilizer bags, the motor oil, etc.)

Old 06-08-2007, 11:46 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,984 times
Dragonfly, what if you scrape all the food particles out of the pizza boxes? Is there any possible way they can be recycled, too?

Old 06-08-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly0428 View Post
Basically it's rinsed out glass, aluminum cans, steel cans, and #1 and #2 plastics, like Tide bottles, water bottles, and soda bottles.
So, if I make spaghetti tonight, all I have to do with the sauce jar when I'm done is slosh some water in it and dump it out. I don't have to scrub it with soap and water, or run it through the diswasher, or soak the label off it, right? There can be some food residue in it, but you don't want me to, like, throw a half jar of sauce in the recycle bin.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:49 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
To answer on his behalf, no, because the grease from the box ends up seeping into the layers of cardboard. If you can devise a way of maybe putting depoits on reusable pizza boxes, you may make some money.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:53 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,688,415 times
Out here in the county of Granville we only have volunteer recycling. It would be nice to have proper pick up included, as that means we have to take everything to the recycling area. And it better be clean to put in our trucks, lol!

Old 06-08-2007, 12:50 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,430 times
In Orange county, we only have volunteer dumping...you can get most of the recycling picked up curb side, but you either have to take your garbage to the dump yourself or contract with someone to pick up your trash. Very forward thinking, I'd say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary