Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:30 PM

42 posts, read 93,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Some of the associations exist because, as someone said, they are required to. They collect dues to take care of some small common property and that's it.

Other associations have pools and playgrounds (and other things) because people want these as shared property. Everyone pays dues, and those who want to use the facilities use them.

Some associations have basic rules, such as no mobile homes. Others have very detailed rules. Here are a few examples.
Window coverings must be white.
Fences must be chosen from the three approved styles, and they cannot be painted.
A shrub that dies may only be replaced with a shrub the same size and shape.
Grass must be between 3 and 4 inches high.
Dogs cannot be chained or tied.
Decks must not be painted.
Toys and bicycles may not be left in front of the house.
The mailbox must be the approved mailbox only.

If everyone in the community likes and follows the rules, it works fine. Sometimes, though, someone does not follow the rules. Then you can get plenty of tension in the community.

There are still plenty of houses outside of HOAs, so don't buy into one unless you are sure you like it and can live with the rules.

I just found several websites for those HOA's... definately not for me. first time someone told me what i couldn't do on my own property, there would be an "incident". and then i'd never hear the end of it from my wife

thanks for the input. i'll continue the research... then do the visit

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-08-2010 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Political comments belong in the Politics forum -- thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 07:30 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Covenants are mostly good and the HOA is there to maintain the n'hood and keep the values from diminishing. However, I've never seen it written that "window coverings must be white" or that "decks must not be painted" or that "toys and bicyles may not be left in front of the house". Are you trying to be funny or is this something that is in your covenants?

I'd really like to know.

Vicki

Old 02-08-2010, 07:41 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Covenants are mostly good and the HOA is there to maintain the n'hood and keep the values from diminishing. However, I've never seen it written that "window coverings must be white" or that "decks must not be painted" or that "toys and bicycles may not be left in front of the house". Are you trying to be funny or is this something that is in your covenants?

I'd really like to know.

Vicki
We don't live in an association, but when we were buying last year I read plenty of covenants. Those rules actually exist, though the wording may be slightly different. They are from associations in Durham (not all from the same association, and from memory - so I could be off a little on the grass measurements). I could try to figure out which associations, if you want to know.

I was surprised about the decks, because at that time we were in the process of painting our own deck (160 miles west of the Durham) to prevent the carpenter bees from making their nests in the wood. (I guess the bees don't go so far east, because I didn't see holes in any of the decks we saw.)

Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
A good HOA is looking out for the value of the homes in the neighborhood, and also to spell out what is expected of people who live in the neighborhood. The covenants for the neighborhoods I've lived in tend to be more common sense than anything. The suggestions above are spot-on: if you are considering a home, read through the covenants and talk with the people who would be your future neighbors. If the covenants don't make sense, or you don't like your potential future neighbors, keep looking.

Viki, w.r.t. "window coverings must be white", I've seen it written that the liner for window treatments should be white. It can be any color that you want inside your home, but I doubt any of the neighbors want to see hot pink (or whatever color) showing through the windows every time they drive by the home.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:59 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInCT View Post
all those houses lined-up like dominos, on very small lots, looks like a modern Queens, NY. and the definition of urban-sprawl.

for those of you who migrated here from a typical northeast suburb... what's your impression of these kind of neghborhoods ? good, bad, or indifferent?
We are from Enola,PA a suburb of Harrisburg. I agree with your assement of most developments.
We are in a neighborhood with an inactive HOA and big lots, southeast of Raleigh with great access. Search for a house for sale on Stoneglen lane and work out from there.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:02 PM

42 posts, read 93,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
We are from Enola,PA a suburb of Harrisburg. I agree with your assement of most developments.
We are in a neighborhood with an inactive HOA and big lots, southeast of Raleigh with great access. Search for a house for sale on Stoneglen lane and work out from there.
Funny, on another thread, about different areas of the city, a couple of people said to avoid SE Raleigh...

to each his (or her) own, i guess

Old 02-09-2010, 06:13 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Funny, on another thread, about different areas of the city, a couple of people said to avoid SE Raleigh...

Yes, this is my pet peeve. Unfortunately, when ppl say to avoid areas, they are generalizing. Areas that were once not as appealing as other areas are now changing and not everyone is current with this info. Yes, to each his own.

As for the HOA, I'm attaching one from my neighborhood, Village Lakes, in east Raleigh. Homes here (on small lots) run $130k to $225k or so...since the economy changed so have our home prices...down. But, this has happened to some other areas too.

http://villagelakes.org/files/documents/Village_Lakes_Architectural_Guidelines.pdf (broken link)

Page 17 states that decks must be stained, not painted. We have grass length rules. Also, if we add a fence it must be attached the back of the house - not the front. We have a pool, clubhouse, tennis courts, 4 lakes, and open space, HOA dues cover these and our mgmt co. We pay around $40 mt.

i have seem the neighborhoods you are talking about. That is what you'll find in certain prices ranges and specifically in newer subdivisions. many in this area looked like this for the first 5 yr or so yrs until trees/landscaping grew in.
To find a bigger lot you need to look at older subdivisions (see LoveBrentwood post) or spend more money, or move further out. Look at Wake Forest, Wendell, Knightdale, Garner. Or Cary - older homes or higher price point.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:52 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
Default Cary is a little like Stepford, but . . .

Having moved to the area from down on the NC coast, where there were few restrictions, I will take restrictions and an HOA (of my choosing) any day. What I gave up is more than balanced by knowing some neighbors, for whatever reasons, will not be doing things that will affect my property values, within reason. That appeals to me.

My experience has been that most HOAs are reasonable. Houses where I am can choose color(s), and many homeowners have homes other than the purported 'Cary beige.' Many have landscaped their yards with minimal fuss, and the HOA maintains, as well as plants seasonal items, on the common areas. The pool is here, and it is well-cared-for. Plenty of activities for people in the neighborhood, with a variety of events, including but not limited to mini-marathons, Halloween costume parade, Easter egg hunt, holiday decorating, and the like. There are several Book Clubs, a bunko group, and some health-conscious groups who get together to walk, exercise, bike. . . Lots of children attending a School of Excellence elementary school. There are two parks and walking trails. Plenty of people out walking their dogs.

I don't think those who choose to participate in things bother those who choose not to, nor do I think the homeowners here begrudge paying for things they may not use. I haven't heard such grumbling.

We downsized this last move, and I much prefer maintaining my 0.19 acre yard. Just enough to do some ornamental gardening, and hubby has the grass cut, the bushes trimmed, the walks edged, in about 30-40 minutes, as opposed to the 1/3 acre we were on, and it took most all of a weekend just to keep the yard looking nice, in consideration of our neighbors in that area. Of course, we are 'empty-nesters' and there is no need for a larger yard for children, but still, the families here make it work for them, too. Plenty of open areas for play.

Sometimes, folks here tickle me. You'd think they had NO choice. There are plenty of choices. What 'floats-my-boat' certainly doesn't mean it has to float yours.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:55 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:

southeast OF Raleigh, not southeast Raleigh. ;-)
We are 7 miles from Garner on the way to Fuquay-Varina

Old 02-09-2010, 07:06 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
all those houses lined-up like dominos, on very small lots, looks like a modern Queens, NY. and the definition of urban-sprawl.

for those of you who migrated here from a typical northeast suburb... what's your impression of these kind of neghborhoods ? good, bad, or indifferent?
I dislike those postage sized lots intensely. We were frustrated initially to see that builders try to cram as many homes on an acre of land as they possibly can to increase their own profits. But, keep looking; there are beautiful areas with 1-3 acre lots at good prices and reasonable HOAs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
We don't live in an association, but when we were buying last year I read plenty of covenants. Those rules actually exist, though the wording may be slightly different. They are from associations in Durham (not all from the same association, and from memory - so I could be off a little on the grass measurements). I could try to figure out which associations, if you want to know.

I was surprised about the decks, because at that time we were in the process of painting our own deck (160 miles west of the Durham) to prevent the carpenter bees from making their nests in the wood. (I guess the bees don't go so far east, because I didn't see holes in any of the decks we saw.)
The bees do go that far east! I assure you.
I've also seen some pretty restrictive covenants, and we steered clear of those neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Viki, w.r.t. "window coverings must be white", I've seen it written that the liner for window treatments should be white. It can be any color that you want inside your home, but I doubt any of the neighbors want to see hot pink (or whatever color) showing through the windows every time they drive by the home.
They shouldn't be looking into their neighbors' windows as they drive by.

Quote:

Yes, we were told to avoid SE Wake county. We went north instead, and are pleased we did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary