Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 05:59 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,731 times

Advertisements

We live in an HOA neighborhood - it does not restrict house color, mailboxes, trees cut, etc. that I have heard in some newer neighborhoods...but ours does restrict fence beyond the front of the house, grass being cut (eg: it should be maintained) which has helped us when a home is in foreclosure, no renting rooms out in their house, guidance on when/where sheds are set up in the back yard. It also asks for shielding of 'business trucks' so they are not visible from the street and no continuous street parking (occasional is fine). Now, at first glance - these might feel restrictive - eg: the end result is that everyone's sheds are tucked in behind the houses and it makes a neighborhood without the houses as an eyesore. But you have to ask yourself - would you really want these things in your neighborhood? If you agree to abide by the covenants, then live in that neighborhood. If you don't want to, then find another neighborhood or a house that is stand-a-lone - there are also lots of those.

re: pool in backyard -- it is a great way to keep up community spirit and visit with friends and neighbors -- with work and school schedules, the community pool was where we did most of our socializing when our kids were littler! LOVE THEM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 06:01 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
When you read the threads about HOAs, you almost have the sense that most people do not view them as being a positive. However, I'm very happy to live in a n'hood with a HOA. I'm happy that my neighbor cannot put an old car without wheels in his yard. I'm happy that my neighbor can't paint his house pink or purple. Although I like pink and purple, I don't want to see it on my neighbor's house!

Much like the threads against Wake County Schools, you get the impression that most don't like the school system. However, with the new survey, you now realize that 70% are happy but it is the complainers that you hear.

Most people do seem to want a HOA. And if you don't want to live in a n'hood with a HOA, homes can be found without the HOA but like NRG's photo...be careful what you ask for!

Vicki

Old 02-09-2010, 07:23 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
I think most ppl don't get the concept, limits, values, drawbacks of a HOA if they haven't been exposed to it, studied it, are a realtor, live in an HOA place, etc.

I've lived in an HOA neighborhood for 10 yrs., this was my first exposure and so I moved in with some misconceptions.

For folks who don't know much about them... the HOA is you, your neighbors, and your unpaid, (generally neighbors) elected reps. Your dues pay for a mgmt co to manage your interest in your neighborhood as outlined by your board and by-laws, and they collect dues so that general expenses (pool, etc.) are met.

You have the right to change by-laws/covenants you don't agree with. You do this by getting a quorum of votes for your proposal, then you need a certain % to pass it - it's noted in your by-laws. Once voted on, and the quorum is met, you can change said by-law or covenant.

Same for a rogue board member. If they are out of control you can vote 'em out. There are numerous associations who post their covenants and by-laws on the web for you to compare.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:53 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Covenants are mostly good and the HOA is there to maintain the n'hood and keep the values from diminishing. However, I've never seen it written that "window coverings must be white" or that "decks must not be painted" or that "toys and bicyles may not be left in front of the house". Are you trying to be funny or is this something that is in your covenants?
I'd really like to know.
Vicki
Mine says you can't leave your garage door open, frinstance, and no farm animals. The HOA went away several years ago, so it just doesn't matter.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:56 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
The rules aren't the problem with HOAs. People who don't agree with the rules shouldn't choose that community.

The problem is that people who don't like the rules do move in. They know there are restrictions, but maybe they didn't read them until they had already fallen in love with a beautiful house - or maybe they thought no one would really care that much if they broke the rules.

Then the problem becomes conflict between the "rules" people and the rebels, and between the "enforcers" and the "live-and-let-lives." That's what I don't like about HOAs - that eventually neighbors can't stand each other.

The problem we had when living in a townhouse association wasn't that we didn't follow the rules - because we did. It was that we were on the board. We had people knocking on our door to bring their complaints. We had pressure from those who wanted us to enforce impossible rules and pressure from those who wanted no rules. We had pressure from those who wanted things fixed faster and from those who wanted lower dues. And of course few of these people were willing to serve on the board or on a committee.

I got involved with the board to help with the financial side, not to be a rules enforcer. For us, never again.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:07 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Mine says you can't leave your garage door open, frinstance, and no farm animals. The HOA went away several years ago, so it just doesn't matter.
Yhea. Mine says you can't "store hazardous materials". Keeps out the meth labs. Oh well. I think that is a good thing!

Vicki

Old 02-10-2010, 08:17 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
How can the HOA "go away"? I thought they Covenants are filed by the builder with the County and are permanent except for changes that members might make over the years (filed also as amendments).

Old 02-10-2010, 08:44 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
How can the HOA "go away"? I thought they Covenants are filed by the builder with the County and are permanent except for changes that members might make over the years (filed also as amendments).
Covenants originated as a means to protect developers and builder/developer until lots were all sold and homes built.
The original covenants in older subdivisions may be allowed to expire.
That expiration period would be indicated in the original filings.
I have seen expirations set at 20 and 25 years from filing.

Some also let homeowners vote on them every 10 years, although I don't know of any offhand that have been voted out of existence.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:29 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Saturnfan,

With all due respect, your understanding of HOA's is severly lacking. I live in an HOA neighborhood and we pay for neither road maintenance nor street lighting yet we recieve both services.

Part of your rent goes to pay your apartment management company staff and they are responsible to set up the contracts and pay the maintenance people, repair and maintain the grounds, pool, tennis courts, gym, pay insurance, and utilities for common areas. An HOA for a neighborhood serves the same function. HOAs in neighborhoods are also needed because most neighborhoods have stormwater control devices like wetponds, bioretention areas, or constructed wetlands. These stormwater devices need maintenance and it costs money which is managed by the HOA. Why should the city be responsible for this? I thought you were in favor of self-sustaining neighborhoods through the use of strict impact fees?

People could sit around and look at each other hoping somebody will keep track of all this or they can form and HOA so their is an organization to be held accountable for the management of these neighborhood services.

Ask yourself this: If your apartment complex manager just dissapeared who would keep your community running and the residents there happy? An HOA serves the same purpose out here in neighborhood land.
Your community must have public streets as opposed to the private ones in many HOA communities.

If my manager left, Drucker and Falk would instantly replace her. If the place became poorly managed, leases run out annually and you don't need to sell your unit to leave.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:31 PM

814 posts, read 2,007,444 times
And, keep in my OP, as others have said, there are probably more houses in this area WITHOUT HOA's than with....but it is just that many of the new "subdivisions" do and it seems that many people moving here are looking for new houses?

As another poster has said, keep looking.....but your choices will be driven by how much you want to spend and how much house you want. If you don't want to pay much and want a big house, then, yes, it is likely you will get a small lot in a new neighborhood, fairly far from downtown. And many of those have HOA's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary