Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:53 AM

355 posts, read 958,110 times

Advertisements

After years of being a renter and never worrying about lawncare, I now have a yard of my own to take care of. After suffering flashbacks of summers spent on a mower as a kid for a summer job, I'm thinking that I want someone else to take care of this for me, so I've been calling for estimates of various places.

My question is, how often do you have to mow in the summer? Once a week? Twice a month? Several of the places I've received estimates from have mowing listed as once a week from April through December. This seems like a lot to me.

Also, can anyone recommend any organic/eco-friendly lawn services that you've used for mowing and lawn treatments? Pricing info would also be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 09:00 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
We shoot for once a week, but it's usually more like every two weeks, and it's getting a bit shaggy by then.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:04 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,093 times
We do once a week.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:07 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Once the grass really starts growing in April you will need to mow once a week for a healthy lawn. Letting it grow too tall by going 10-14 days and then chopping it down can be very stressfull on the lawn and will lead to an unhealthy look. If you are growing Tall Fescue you should try and maintain it at around 3" in height and never cut more than 1/3 of the blade off at one time. To do that you pretty much need to mow every week.

The frequency of cuts can diminish once you get into Ocotober / November based on how quickly it gets cold. If you re-seed in September you probably wouln't be cutting that month at all as to allow time for the new seedlings to take root. Then you will probably only get in 3-4 cuts between October and November and take a nice break from cuting in December, January, and Febraury and star up again in March or April.

Oh yeah, if you haven't already, this is a great week (Mid February) to get your spring fertilizer and pre-emegent (crabgrass preventer) application down.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:14 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
At the peak of the season, once every other week. Even then, it looks pretty shaggy by the time I cut it.

This is also a good time of the year to pick up a mower pretty cheap. Sears has had quite a few on sale or clearance lately.

Mike

Old 02-22-2010, 09:30 AM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
If it was up to me I would mow every 2 weeks. My wife likes it mowed weekly. I think I will teach her how to start the mower this season lol

Old 02-22-2010, 09:33 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,653 times
I do weekly as well. 2 weeks it really starts to show as unkept at our house.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:36 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I'll be honest with you...I tried mowing ONCE. I decided it wasn't for me. The mower shakes quite a bit and it hurts my hands. Not to mention, you get very hot and sweaty in the summer and although southern women DO glisten...it was a bit much.

Hubby mows once a week from about late March (depending on weather) until Oct/Nov., depending on the weather. We have fescue grass so during the off season, he still mows once in a while...could be monthly, as he is a bit particular about the lawn NOT looking shaggy. He seems to enjoy the mowing and edging. You know...men and their tools!

Vicki

Old 02-22-2010, 10:11 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
If it was up to me I would mow every 2 weeks. My wife likes it mowed weekly. I think I will teach her how to start the mower this season lol

I taught my wife to operate the riding mower this past summer. We have a zero turn mower, so it's a bit tricky when you first start out. She liked it enough that she cut the grass all last summer. Once a week

Old 02-22-2010, 10:13 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
once a week is typical. If you are silly and actually fertilize the stuff, then you can be mowing 3x in a 2 week period to keep it presentable in late April/May/early June....March to mid October is normally 1x/week

We find lime to be our favorite friend more than fertilizer but we have a lot of pines in our neighborhood making for constant acidity...We have a mulching mower so no picking up of clippings for us. We also like to core aerate in the fall.

:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary