Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 11:10 PM

27 posts, read 72,937 times

Advertisements

any subs without HOA any where in Cary, Apex, Holly Springs? I know all subs have rules and regulations...but are there any w/o them? Are these an advantage or disadvantage? any personal opinions? aNyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2006, 11:38 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
I had one Realtor contact me and insist I would not find a home in the greater charlotte metro area without an HOA. I repeatdely told her we weren't interested in newer communities yet she persisted. I still don't get why me getting an HOA community was so imprtant to her. Bigger commissions there? I don't know.

Finally, a Realtor contacted me through here and she understands us. Moving beyond the newer homes and going for an older neighborhood means mature landscaping, a neighborly feel, larger lot sizes and freedom from HOA rules and fee.

Lots of people here like HOAs. Naturally, there are advanantages.

Good luck during your search.

SL

Old 07-31-2006, 04:57 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,373 times
Some of the older neighborhoods don't have them, or else have they have covenants but no enforcement and no annual dues. In any of the newer neighborhoods, though (10 years and younger) I would venture to say most, if not all of them, have active HOAs.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:15 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,130 times
Often older neighborhoods do not have HOAs but by not having them the neighborhood likely doesn't have any common areas requiring upkeep. This means that you won't have a pool or playground or any other recreational facilities unless they are city-owned and maintained.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:10 AM

720 posts, read 1,709,734 times
Default HOA's

A Raleigh realtor stopped communicating with me when I made it clear we disliked HOA's and explained why. We were going to be in the area to look at homes, and this realtor was the sister of a friend. I was surprised.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:33 AM

Same thing happened on my end after this realtor E-mailed me to say that 99% of homes would have an HOA so deal with it. I was surprised ... 99%??!!!!

I really don't get it. What's the deal with having a personal agenda instead of leading me in the direction I requested?

SL

Old 08-01-2006, 10:45 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee
I had one Realtor contact me and insist I would not find a home in the greater charlotte metro area without an HOA. I repeatdely told her we weren't interested in newer communities yet she persisted. I still don't get why me getting an HOA community was so imprtant to her. Bigger commissions there? I don't know.

Finally, a Realtor contacted me through here and she understands us. Moving beyond the newer homes and going for an older neighborhood means mature landscaping, a neighborly feel, larger lot sizes and freedom from HOA rules and fee.
Good for you for not giving in to that first realtor. Sounds to me like she was full of BS to be honest.
Yeah, 99% of new subdivisions will have an HOA. But older established neighborhoods.....especially near urban cores/downtowns....will not have them and the residents prefer it that way! In most cities, there will be enough city parks, city pools, etc that you won't miss not having an HOA.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:19 AM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
Default Southern Hostility

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper
A Raleigh realtor stopped communicating with me when I made it clear we disliked HOA's and explained why. We were going to be in the area to look at homes, and this realtor was the sister of a friend. I was surprised.
You were the victim of what I like to call good old "Southern Hostility".
Believe me, they can be just as materialistic and even more stubborn than us **** Yankees.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:30 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,734 times
The realtor told me HOA's force people to "keep their property up." I told her we have a $400,000.00 home on a 1/2 acre in a small subdivision, and everyone keeps their RV's and boats on their property. NO HOA fees,although there are some rules--like no livestock, no clotheslines visible from the street, and no overnight parking on the street. This neighborhood is attractive and sought after. I guess what really annoyed her was when I said---"I don't need people with no life telling me how many jack-o-lanterns I can have on my porch at Halloween." (my daughter lives in a condo complex like that) I saw a subdivision in NC that charged around $80--$100 a month----no pool, no playground--the only service was they moxed a couple of raised grass covered traffic islands, and had streetlights. And there were 250
homes--so where did all the money go??

Old 08-01-2006, 01:11 PM

Poodle, you'll find a lot of folks on here that disagree with you. But that's what I said ... I need freedom from HOA rules and fees. I understand it's a matter of preference but I keep running into people who keep wagging their finger telling me how foolish I am being for actually expressing a preference NOT to live in an HOA community.

I keep hearing the same thing over and over again about how if we don't move into an HOA community inevitably our property values will go down due to others not maintaining their homes. I live in Jersey and HOAs are not common. And I have never lived in a neighborhood where people didn't maintain their properties. Any problems are usually dealt with by city ordinances. Not saying issues don't arise, but it's not an extremely common occurence that cannot be dealt with on an individual basis.

HOAs just feel creepy to me. To buy a home and then be restricted by HOA rules feels counterproductive. For that I could remain a renter.

SL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary