Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:04 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I'm more than a little sure that whatever the offensive post(s) was/were, they've been deleted by now.
There is a link on the N&O's Wake Ed blog that has the comments before they were made private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 06:09 AM

467 posts, read 1,774,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I'm more than a little sure that whatever the offensive post(s) was/were, they've been deleted by now.
They may not be live NOW - for that matter, Ms. Hussain's Facebook page isn't accessible now - however, there were print-outs of the 'offensive posts' made before any of that happened - and there is nothing that was written that equals suspension and/or termination.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:12 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times
Why was her page not private? Not only can you set account so only "friends" can see your wall and information, a newer feature lets you choose who can see your individual wall posts. She should have used more discretion if she wanted to vent online.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:22 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Saw this on CNN today and thought it was interesting:

Facebook gripes protected by free speech, ruling says - CNN.com

Similar story, but in this case it was the student who made the posts. Court has ruled it was freedom of speech. Interesting.

Mike

Old 02-17-2010, 06:53 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,744 times
Here's a link to more info on the Wake Ed Blog that was mentioned previously

WakeEd - Melissa Hussain's Facebook comments | newsobserver.com blogs

Old 02-17-2010, 06:59 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
When she sues, I hope she wins big.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:10 AM

683 posts, read 1,885,051 times
It amazes me that the school system would suspend a teacher over such benign comments, especially since no students' names were even mentioned, yet take no action against a teacher at my son's old school who accidentally CC'd the entire grade's parents on an email about a student that was meant to go only to the school's counselor.

Check this out:

(Counselor),

Mark (name changed) is at student service referral level for off task behavior. Could you please waste some of your time and talk to him about this issue? I have spent approximately 240 instructional days with Mark and have yet to correct this problem. Thank you for your time and patients as I have none-

(Teacher)

The teacher very openly shows disdain for the student by insinuating that it would be a 'waste' of the counselor's time to talk with the student about this issue. Even more upsetting is the fact that the counselor must find this type behavior from a teacher 'acceptable' since the teacher felt comfortable talking about the student in this manner in their email to the counselor. It makes me wonder what other discouraging remarks the teacher has made about other students in email communications.

The email was forwarded to the administrators at the school by many of the parents who received it, but the teacher was never suspended. In my opinion, what this teacher did is 100 times worse than what the Facebook teacher did.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 AM

449 posts, read 700,103 times
Default "Patients"

Oh dear... and this was a teacher, no less.

Patience, patience...

Old 02-17-2010, 08:00 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
Here's a link to more info on the Wake Ed Blog that was mentioned previously

WakeEd - Melissa Hussain's Facebook comments | newsobserver.com blogs
"I know that some places are characterizing it as a Muslim vs. Christian fight based on her last name. But all of the parents I spoke to said she's more likely a secular humanist."

This is the quote that puzzles me. So does the writer or the parents think that because she isn't Muslim and that she is a secular humanist she is less deserving of not being harassed?

So what if she threw the postcard of Jesus in the trash? It's not like she ripped it in a million pieces in front of the class while screaming at the kid.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:25 AM

481 posts, read 1,086,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
Facebook...love it. I'm able to conveniently keep up with friends that I haven't spoken to in years. She certainly has the right to vent, but as a teacher she should have set her profile to private. Then it would have never been an issue.

I have a real problem with those children basically throwing their religion in her face. Not a real Christian thing to do... If they have a real problem with public school teachings, they should attend a Christian school rather than a public one that has teachers and students from many religions.
THANK YOU!!! It's a public school people. I am so sick of things like this. Yes she should know better to change it to private but still... freedom of speech! The child who put that Bible on her desk should also have someone talk about tolerance and understand others beliefs. The Triangle has so many others that live here with their culture and beliefs. If I am going to be chastised for not following the Christians then I need to move out of what I hoped to be a diverse area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary