Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 12,136 times

Advertisements

My lady and I are looking to move into a place closer to downtown for the convenience and lifestyle of it. After doing some serious searching, we both found that Raleigh surely prides itself on its downtown and the prices of the the apartments, condos and homes show it. That said, we can't afford $1,400 for a 710 sq 1BR/1B apartment. We are looking for something reasonable that a couple starting out can not have to worry about these ridiculous prices.

We stumbled across called Carlton Place, which looks nice. Newer place, which doesn't really matter to us, but the prices seem really good. Anyone know what the deal with those are? It definitely seems like it's heading toward the a rougher part of town.

If that isn't a good option, what else is? We are looking for something that is priced at no more than $600-700 and has some room. Dishwasher would be nice too. Haha. Would prefer a 2BR, but I know this budget won't stretch very far.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 10:22 PM

881 posts, read 2,254,447 times
You might want to read this thread. Carlton Place has income restrictions.
//www.city-data.com/forum/raleigh-durham-chapel-hill-cary/871326-rentals-downtown-raleigh.html

Old 02-17-2010, 04:29 AM

171 posts, read 430,361 times
There are lots of great apartments near downtown Raleigh for reasonable prices. $600-800 will get you a modest apartments in most of the popular spots. Oakwood, Glenwood/Brooklyn, Mordecai, etc. Good luck!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:44 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,646,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
You might want to read this thread. Carlton Place has income restrictions.
//www.city-data.com/forum/raleigh-durham-chapel-hill-cary/871326-rentals-downtown-raleigh.html
The link above didn't work when I clicked on it, so here it is again: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...n-raleigh.html. Lots of info in that thread.

Carlton Place does have income restrictions on most of the units, but some are offered at market rate. You would have to talk to the rental agency directly to see if they have any market rate units available, or if you qualify under the income restrictions.

It sounds like you may not be looking at realistic places given your price range. There are rental options available downtown for a lot less than $1,400 for a 1br (I pay $725 for a 900 sqft 1br in Glenwood South). A unit at that price is likely a luxury apartment (I'm thinking specificially of 712 Tucker here) or a condo for rent in a luxury building. In your price range you are not going to have granite counters and SS appliances. You may even have to forego a dishwasher (which is not the end of the world for two people, I did it for six years during and after college in order to live in the area I wanted). Raleigh Apartments, Wedgewood Apartments, Cameron Court, Boylan Apartments, etc. come to mind. And there are duplexes and apartments in older houses in some of the historic areas as well.

Last edited by miamiblue; 02-17-2010 at 07:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary