Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:36 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a influx of new hummingbirds since Sunday at my feeders. My guess is that the migration has started and these birds will be hanging out for a while before moving on. I put out a fourth feeder Sunday hoping to reduce some of the fussing and fighting. Anybody's numbers suddenly picking up over the last few days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 06:07 AM

279 posts, read 702,709 times
I got hummingbirds for the first time since living in my house (16 months) on Sunday. I was soooo excited!

Old 08-24-2010, 06:52 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
There seems to be a influx of new hummingbirds since Sunday at my feeders. My guess is that the migration has started and these birds will be hanging out for a while before moving on. I put out a fourth feeder Sunday hoping to reduce some of the fussing and fighting. Anybody's numbers suddenly picking up over the last few days?
Definitely - I was thinking of getting a second feeder too because I've been watching some epic battles (three are fighting over it right now).

I see very few males, or at least adult males - they seem to be all females, or maybe juveniles without the ruby throat yet?

Old 08-24-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Definitely - I was thinking of getting a second feeder too because I've been watching some epic battles (three are fighting over it right now).

I see very few males, or at least adult males - they seem to be all females, or maybe juveniles without the ruby throat yet?
Mine are mostly females or juveniles too. Try placing a second feeder out of sight of the fist one if possible....the fighting seems to be worse at one of my feeders. I think apparently one the birds has claimed it for himself

Old 08-24-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMaine2012 View Post
I got hummingbirds for the first time since living in my house (16 months) on Sunday. I was soooo excited!
Keep fresh nectar out there. You'll pick up more birds soon. I started four years ago and got only a few that year...the numbers have grown ever since.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Anybody's numbers suddenly picking up over the last few days?
Yes, I got an influx about 2 weeks ago. We put out a hummingbird feeder months ago and never had one visitor (then the feeder fell and broke so we never replaced). Either they weren't here or they didn't like the location.

Then two weeks ago I was sitting on my deck and I thought I spotted a butterfly hanging out by my hanging candle, but when I looked again it was a humming bird (my candle is a long cylinder and hangs). I said "I bet he thinks that's a hummingbird feeder". I ran out to Wal Mart and bought a feeder and have had visitors every day since then. I've spotted 4 distinct birds (although I'm not an expert - there were just 4 different colored birds), perhaps more!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:00 AM

200 posts, read 358,813 times
My feeders have been busy all summer long. And I have had to change the nectar every few days due to the heat AND the darn sugar ants. I have 2 feeders that hang on the windows (one in front and the other in the back). The one that hangs on my kitchen window over the sink gets most of the visits. I can open the window next to it and hear the hummingbirds chirp and the incredible "buzzing" of their wings. My grandchildren love to watch them. This past week I have noticed several new birds: especially 2 juveniles. They are SO small!

Old 08-24-2010, 10:43 AM

677 posts, read 1,903,640 times
My yard is buzzing with hummers, and yes, my activity has really picked up the last couple of weeks! I have 2 feeders and lots of flowers that they like, but they are still chasing each other all over the yard and staking out territories. Love it!

Old 08-24-2010, 03:11 PM

I'm glad you guys are having a three ring circus at your places too

Old 08-24-2010, 05:44 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
I think one of mine was stabbed in the neck by another (takes "ruby throated" to a whole new meaning) (I do think it's a scab and not a marking as it's raised).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary