Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 11:53 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,274,441 times

Advertisements

We're contemplating a move for a job offer we just received. We know houses, groceries and income tax will be higher while property tax way lower for us. What I'm wondering about now is utilities. I know someone asked before about this and didn't really get an answer because there are so many variables. Still, I'm sure someone could give me a starting point.

Right now we pay about $70 for water for a family of 4 who take baths (huge garden tub), wash clothes and dishes and run water but never water the yard--where we live it seems to either rain enough or go into drought mode and it's just not worth it. Our electricity (no gas unfortunately) runs from around $100 for temperate weather (almost non-existent in S. TX) up to a max of $250 during the cold spell we've had this year with several freezes. Usually in the winter is when we have lower bills and the $200 bills come in summer when it's 100 outside. I wouldn't say we overuse but due to the temps and allergens we don't really have the option to open up to cool or warm the house--I'm hoping that is actually an option up there

Obviously y'all have had a exceptionally cold year this year so I'm talking in general. We kind of need to decide today if possible and I'm trying to look at all angles to help my husband make his decision--he likes the company and it's not dependent on NC economy thank goodness (from what I've read y'all are suffering alot of unemployment ) but he's got a job now and we want to be sure of everything before we pick up and move ~Thanks!

Last edited by TXsurburbanmom; 02-19-2010 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 12:05 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,993,934 times
We're a family of three in Cary in an 1850 sf house. I like to think we're fairly frugal with our utility usage, and we run between $40-$55/month for water/sewer, while electric (no gas in our house either) runs from a low of about $80 during spring and fall when HVAC usage is at its lowest to up in the $170-$180 range at the peak of summer and winter.

Things will obviously vary widely depending on your family's usage habits, home size, and weatherproofing.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:22 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,586,697 times
I live right in the town in a 3700 sq ft house, about $270 a month in electricity at the highest points in the year. We have heat pumps/ac and a lot of computers. We keep it 70-72 all times of the year.

Pay about 55 a month for water, sewer and trash.

I will say that the local grocery stores are pretty darn expensive compared to western NY and Maryland.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:24 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,274,441 times
Thanks! I can't say we're frugal (can't get the kids to turn off the Wii when they leave the room) but I'm thinking we won't be very hot in the summer at least for awhile. Sounds like it's NOT going to be more expensive at least in that aspect.

Oh, speaking of groceries. We have probably the cheapest groceries anywhere because of a store called HEB (it's in TX, MX and I think OK only). I shop either there or the Super Target. I'm sure Target lowered their prices to compete but even so I like shopping there and was wondering if y'all have the ones with the full grocery store as well. How about Farmer's Markets? We have a few here but I've heard they aren't really worth the drive downtown. I'd love to buy local and clean up out diet some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary