Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 08:39 PM

450 posts, read 1,554,098 times

Advertisements

OK, so I'm thinking of flying to Florida to buy my new (used) car. I'm thinking of getting a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle and there are a few in FL that are $4-5K less than they are locally. My two questions are:

1. Does the dealer in FL register the car in NC? If so, do they charge me the 3% HUT instead of the Florida sales tax?

2. I already paid property taxes in January on my existing car (a lease). I'm returning that car to the dealership in April. Do I get the pro-rated difference back? If not, does it apply to the new car as a credit?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 05:01 AM

770 posts, read 2,754,416 times
I did a similar thing last year except I bought mine off ebay and flew to baltimore.
The guy there gave me a 30 day tag which gives you enough time to
Drive back
Get the car inspected by NC
get the insurance sorted
go to dmv with all docs to register
Pay your sales tax ( mine was $616 on 421k)

The only problem I encountered was at DMV . The sales invoice had a change of sales price ( discount for car not having as good a radio system as was advertised) and they wouldn't accept it . They did allow him to fax a new on through to DMV direct

Florida wont charge you any tax
not sure about the property tax - I don't recall getting any back for mine

Last edited by steve54; 03-02-2010 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: further info

Old 03-02-2010, 05:54 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post

2. I already paid property taxes in January on my existing car (a lease). I'm returning that car to the dealership in April. Do I get the pro-rated difference back? If not, does it apply to the new car as a credit?

Thanks!
You can, maybe, ... Wake County directions below:

Adjustments/Refunds

If you sold your vehicle, or moved your vehicle out of state, you may be entitled to a proration or refund of taxes. The following two conditions must be satisfied to qualify for the adjustment:
  1. The license plate must be surrendered to the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles prior to the month of expiration.
  2. Vehicle ownership must be transferred to a new owner or the vehicle must be registered in your new state of residence.
Within one year of your license plate surrender, mail a copy of the NCDMV FS-20 surrender form along with either a bill of sale or a copy of the new state registration to:
Wake County Revenue Department
Post Office Box 2331
Raleigh, NC 27602-2331

Frank

Old 03-02-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
You can, maybe, ... Wake County directions below:

Adjustments/Refunds

If you sold your vehicle, or moved your vehicle out of state, you may be entitled to a proration or refund of taxes. The following two conditions must be satisfied to qualify for the adjustment:
  1. The license plate must be surrendered to the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles prior to the month of expiration.
  2. Vehicle ownership must be transferred to a new owner or the vehicle must be registered in your new state of residence.
Within one year of your license plate surrender, mail a copy of the NCDMV FS-20 surrender form along with either a bill of sale or a copy of the new state registration to:
Wake County Revenue Department
Post Office Box 2331
Raleigh, NC 27602-2331

Frank
I hope this works for Durham as well. I'll call the DMV today and see what they say.

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2010, 08:06 AM

You want to call Durham County first ... not DMV.

While DMV will block your registration based on not paying your vehicle property tax, the actual property tax is a local/County gov issue.

Frank

Old 03-02-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
You want to call Durham County first ... not DMV.

While DMV will block your registration based on not paying your vehicle property tax, the actual property tax is a local/County gov issue.

Frank
Roger!

I called and they said that they will pro-rate it. I just have to show proof that I returned my plates within a year and they will calculate the difference and return it to me.

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:23 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,891 times
You have to show proof you turned in plates as well as proof of selling the car typically in Durham County. I just had to do it on one of my cars.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:59 AM

Good point. Even a non registered car is subject to property tax. So if you buy a vehicle but don't register it you still need to declare it for property tax purposes.
The DMV just makes the usual process more automatic.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary