Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:14 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times

Advertisements

I wanted to try out a new dentist, only because I was having to drive from SW Cary over to N Raleigh, and wanted to find a dentist closer to me. So, I try this new dentist out, and after a very thorough two hour exam, I'm handed a sheet of recommended dental work -- roughly $8000 worth.

Granted, I have some large fillings in my upper molars, and my favorite dentist (who has since retired) told me that eventually I would probably need crowns. So, here I am, faced with needing four crowns. This dentist has put them in order of priority for me, and says some are no rush, but she charges $1400 per crown.

Just two years ago, a dentist I tried in Raleigh ITB, charged $1000. I subsequently had to have a root canal, but the endodontist only charged me $1000 for the work she had to do. I am just a little confused.

What are others paying for routine dental work in the Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Apex area(s)? Cleanings, crowns, root canals -- for starters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 08:01 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
I had a crown done in Raleigh last year, and it was $1,400. It was $1100 for one the previous year.

Twice in the past few years, I've gone back to my hometown of Rochester, NY, and I've had dental work done. The savings over having it done in Raleigh paid for my trip to Rochester to visit family and friends.

I've heard that dental work can be 40 to 70 percent less expensive in Mexico, and I once priced it in a small town in Canada (the original hometown of my great-grandmother, a town I've always wanted to visit), and prices there were even lower than Rochester.

So if you've ever wanted to travel, you might be able to get the work done, get a trip in, do a little sightseeing, AND save money.

Another option is to find a dental school (here or anywhere) and ask about volunteering your mouth for their final exams. I'm not sure what kind of work the students need to do, but I know that my daughter's fiance who is a dental student, and my daughter, who is learning to be a dental hygienist, will be looking for volunteers at some point in their student careers. We'll be taking them up on it if we need to.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:05 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,600 times
I wouldn't suggest going to Mexico unless you want substandard work done containing lead and other hazards. You get what you pay for.

The dental school is a great option. It will take an extra visit or two but the dental students are supervised to a significant degree. There are so many check steps where we had to stop and have faculty approve us to continue that it's pretty hard not to have good work done there. It just takes a little longer but it will definitely save you some money. Just know that you can't just go to get a single crown done there. You will need to enter as a new patient, get films, treatment planning, then you can proceed with the crown. Just fyi.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:32 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
I was quoted $4500 to remove three wisdom teeth and fixing a pocket on one area.
Needless to say, I am looking for alternatives.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:39 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
Default Thanks for the responses.

From the little I've heard from you two, and from a neighbor or two, it seems dental prices can be 'all-over-the-map' around here. I just thought $1400 per crown was a bit steep, but if you paid $1100 one year, and turned around and paid $1400 the next, it's like everything else in this economy. I don't want to appear to be begrudging the dentist supporting her family, or needing to eat, mind you -- just wanted to do some cost-comparison without calling every dentist within a five-mile radius of my home.

I had thought about the dental schools here in the area, but understood there was no shortage of people seeking dental work there, and they actually had lotteries to get in. My concern would be if something down the road happened -- a chipped, or broken tooth? Could I get back in fairly easily once a patient, or is it back to the lottery?

The first tooth that I must address with a crown has a crack running horizontally through the enamel of the tooth so I don't have a whole lot of turn-around time here. But I do know it is a matter of time before I need to get the other three done eventually, and I'd just as soon not take chances with those molars, either. I have ended-up having to put a lot of money into my mouth, which I think is money well-spent, but these fillings are big ones because my parents never took us for routine dental care, and by the time I was in college, I was in need of a lot of work. My former dentist was wonderful -- he got my mouth back in shape, and let me pay each month as we went. I don't think many dentists these days can afford to do that.

You can rest assured my daughter went, and still goes, every 6 months -- since she cut her first teeth at 3 months.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:35 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
The good thing is that some dentists offer an option to pay it monthly. If you are careful to pay it all before the 12-month period is up, you don't have to pay the interest charges.

Of course, the lender tries hard to make sure you DON'T pay within those 12 months.

The lender does two things:

1 They list the minimum payment on the bill, which if you pay it, you'll never pay off the balance within 12 months.
2. When you do pay over the minimum payment, they STOP issuing you monthly bills; I assume because they're hoping you'll lose track and not pay within those 12 months.

What a racket!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I wanted to try out a new dentist, only because I was having to drive from SW Cary over to N Raleigh, and wanted to find a dentist closer to me. So, I try this new dentist out, and after a very thorough two hour exam, I'm handed a sheet of recommended dental work -- roughly $8000 worth.

Granted, I have some large fillings in my upper molars, and my favorite dentist (who has since retired) told me that eventually I would probably need crowns. So, here I am, faced with needing four crowns. This dentist has put them in order of priority for me, and says some are no rush, but she charges $1400 per crown.

Just two years ago, a dentist I tried in Raleigh ITB, charged $1000. I subsequently had to have a root canal, but the endodontist only charged me $1000 for the work she had to do. I am just a little confused.

What are others paying for routine dental work in the Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Apex area(s)? Cleanings, crowns, root canals -- for starters.
Do yourself a huge favor and google careington.It is a dental discount plan that will most likely have your dentist listed,and if not there are a houndred more.Dentists agree to the discounted rates.I have it and literally saved 50% on my work.It truly is amazing.I know it sounds to good to be true,but I'm telling you it's not.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:41 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
Do yourself a huge favor and google careington.It is a dental discount plan that will most likely have your dentist listed,and if not there are a houndred more.Dentists agree to the discounted rates.I have it and literally saved 50% on my work.It truly is amazing.I know it sounds to good to be true,but I'm telling you it's not.
https://www1.careington.com/members/health_care_discount/dental_vision.shtml (broken link)

Old 03-11-2010, 11:19 AM

797 posts, read 3,580,982 times
I have had 2 crowns put on in the past year and 1/2. Each one was $925 (gold crowns). However, my dentist isn't taking new patients. Its in Durham btw.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:09 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
As a seasoned veteran in the dentist's chair, and having had the pleasure of meeting too many skilled dental professionals of various specialties, and putting their kids into college, I would NOT choose extraction and drilling into bone while I have the choice of very functional crowns and bridges.
I think the toehold my natural teeth enjoy is strong, and preferable to stainless steel, which also fails people.
If the 35 year old crown on a front tooth that serves quite well fails me tomorrow, I will have no regrets.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-12-2010 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: Deleted quoted text, as recommendation was made by new member
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary