Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 13,196 times

Advertisements

What is the black population like in these areas? Do they tend to be on on par socioeconomically/educationally with the majority of the community? For example, I have read on these forums that the Hispanic population in the area largely consists of first-generation immigrants who are slowly integrating into the community. I'm hoping to get a similar snapshot of the black community in CH/Carrboro.

I'm a 25 year old black girl and will be attending UNC for grad school in the fall. I'll be moving from Brooklyn and, admittedly, I'm a bit hipsterish. I know Carrboro fits this grad student/left-leaning bill, and I hear it's diverse, but I'm wondering if it actually plays out this way for the minorities in the community.

Also, if anyone can speak to the black dating scene in the area, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 05:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
You know, it would be interesting to get a race breakdown on this forum. I get the feeling there are very few AA on here cause when they ask questions about hair salons, etc it is rare to get more than 1 or 2 responses.

I moved here from Atlanta where whites are almost the minority and it was obvious from day one how few(compared to Atlanta) blacks are in Chapel HIll area. I see alot of hispanics and asians and a few blacks but I'm not on campus or in that age social group.

Still Chapel Hill is very inclusive with a live and let live attitude. I recommend you find meet up groups after you get settled and you will find lots of friends or any race. Good luck.

And---I can't resist as an old feminist. Please refer to yourself as a 25 year old WOMAN---not a girl cause you are grown up now...right?

Old 03-13-2010, 06:27 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
You know, it would be interesting to get a race breakdown on this forum. I get the feeling there are very few AA on here cause when they ask questions about hair salons, etc it is rare to get more than 1 or 2 responses.

I moved here from Atlanta where whites are almost the minority and it was obvious from day one how few(compared to Atlanta) blacks are in Chapel HIll area. I see alot of hispanics and asians and a few blacks but I'm not on campus or in that age social group.

Still Chapel Hill is very inclusive with a live and let live attitude. I recommend you find meet up groups after you get settled and you will find lots of friends or any race. Good luck.

And---I can't resist as an old feminist. Please refer to yourself as a 25 year old WOMAN---not a girl cause you are grown up now...right?
I suspect there are more African Americans in the forum then you realize. We just aren't caught up on racial issues. We are living the same lives as our White counterparts with the same questions and issues. You don't need to come into a forum to find a Black barbershop or hair salon. I don't need to say I am Black to say what the best restaurant is.

Last edited by TuborgP; 03-13-2010 at 07:39 AM..

Old 03-13-2010, 07:58 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Within Chapel Hill, there are a few of pockets of predominantly black populations - the Rogers Road area and the Rosemary/Church street areas come to mind (both of which have been areas of controversy as proposed development projects would impact or displace historic minority populations that are economically disadvantaged). And don't forget the school's system's Lincoln Center was once Lincoln High School - a black school in the days of segregation.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:32 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slg279 View Post
What is the black population like in these areas? Do they tend to be on on par socioeconomically/educationally with the majority of the community? For example, I have read on these forums that the Hispanic population in the area largely consists of first-generation immigrants who are slowly integrating into the community. I'm hoping to get a similar snapshot of the black community in CH/Carrboro.

I'm a 25 year old black girl and will be attending UNC for grad school in the fall. I'll be moving from Brooklyn and, admittedly, I'm a bit hipsterish. I know Carrboro fits this grad student/left-leaning bill, and I hear it's diverse, but I'm wondering if it actually plays out this way for the minorities in the community.

Also, if anyone can speak to the black dating scene in the area, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
You will be disappointed in the black population at CH. As I go through CH passing the main spots to find students, I can honestly say that I see one or two blacks on a good day. Undergrad will be okay but you won't have a large population of black friends but I am sure that you will meet some good people to hang around black and white in your classes that will stick with you from freshman year. Remember, freshman year is new to everyone and everyone wants a friend. The only propblem is that it will take you until the second semister to find out that some of those friends weren't worth your time.

Whether people admit it or not. Chapel is a white town especially the main part of CH on Franklin Street. I know this is far away but my wife is in graduate school there and I will tell you, just being black has been the toughest part of being at graduate school there b/c everyone is white (with some Asians in the mix) and there isn't a good culture clash going on. This is to the point that she has thoguht about dropping out for this one reason alone. I just don't see the logic behind it but then again I don't have to be there everyday for all those years.

I don't really see most of the white people there as racist. If you have a good personality and are a people person you should be okay. It is the same likes that will bring you to your friends.

Not a blanket statement and could be taken as racist if read literally but here it goes: As long as you aren't walking around cussing, pants on the ground, not using proper english, are looking at people as if they are racist towards you b/c they said something you don't like, you will be fine and get a great education. NC is a far stones throw away from NY.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 13,196 times
thanks for your replies.

no kudzu, it's funny you mention the girl/woman thing. i just turned 25 a few weeks ago and am having a bit of a quarter-life crisis and feeling "old," etc. I had typed woman first, but immediately erased it because I just felt a sense of dread at being 25 that I'm not ready to deal with yet!

mike, i am actually going to be a grad student, not an undergrad. if your wife wants to get together, i'll be there in august!! i'm serious.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:50 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,113 times
Quote:
I find this statement a bit off. It just so happens that I am AA, but the questions about salons are not in my neck of the woods, so I don't contribute. Salons are a dime a dozen and most people still find them the old fashioned way.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:16 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
I find this statement a bit off. It just so happens that I am AA, but the questions about salons are not in my neck of the woods, so I don't contribute. Salons are a dime a dozen and most people still find them the old fashioned way.
Yeah I agree, most people find them that way. Usually a referral. But when people come on here for a black salon referral, they don't get many responses. But that is not to say that there aren't blacks on the forum b/c there certainly is.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:50 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
DH and I have 3 interracial adopted children and I have to admit I was disappointed and surprised with how few people of color are in Chapel Hill. You hear so much about diversity in this area but we have not found that to be as true as we would like.

And of course you are right race has nothing to do with "where is the best restaurant" type of question we find on this forum. But the OP was asking about AA population in Chapel HIll and I thought I was helping with her quest for information.

And I am white and still have not found a decent hair salon in Chapel HIll which does not charge $50 for a simple haircut.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:39 AM

22 posts, read 94,936 times
Quote:
You would probably be surprised at the amount of AA that learn about this area by just reading responses and generally have little desire to post a message or announce their race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slg279 View Post
In response to your question, just like most places in America, you will find blacks that span the socio-economic scale in Chapel Hill. Towns and areas with many colleges are perhaps easier to locate people on your education level. I don't think you will have a problem in the Chapel Hill - Carrboro area. I will add that just because a person is poor doesn’t necessarily mean that he/she is unintelligent…..and vice versa.

Wish you luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary