Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 01:25 PM

6 posts, read 24,741 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Raleigh early this summer, and I am looking for a half-day kindergarten program for my daughter. She is already beginning to read and do simple math, so she doesn't need additional academics associated with a whole day program.

I am not necessarily opposed to the public schools (if I can ever figure them out, LOL), but it looks from the WCPS site that all K programs are full-day.

I'm not planning on keeping my daughter in private school forever, so distance and theology/not are not super important...it's more I want a half-day program to get us through this next transition year.

Oh - FWIW, we are looking to live in either Macedonia (or nearby) or Tysonville areas.

Any input anyone has would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 03:50 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
You can actually do only 1/2 day KG in WCPSS even though it's full day KG, they just don't advertise it. But I think it's a law that you can pick them up after a half of a day. I don't know anyone who actually does that, though.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:13 PM

33 posts, read 128,732 times
Here's a list of 1/2-day Kindergartens I have come across while searching for a school for my own daughter. I have not visited or had direct experience with all of these though. I'm sure there are more!

Carolina Friends School, Emerson Waldorf School, Orchard Hill Children's School, Our Playhouse Preschool, Trinity School of Durham & Chapel Hill

Old 05-21-2011, 06:20 AM

169 posts, read 242,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
You can actually do only 1/2 day KG in WCPSS even though it's full day KG, they just don't advertise it. But I think it's a law that you can pick them up after a half of a day. I don't know anyone who actually does that, though.
Does one verify this directly through the school assigned to them? Has anyone reading done this? What was your experience?

Thanks

Old 05-21-2011, 08:03 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Most people don't know this but in many states kindergarten is not required. You can start your child in first grade if you choose. I know in NY the law states your child must be in school by age 6...so you could right to first grade if you want. That's probably what lamishra is getting at. That would be a state law though, so not sure where you'd check if this true.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:59 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,258 times
My kids were doing simple algebra prior to K (simple find x) and have benefited from a full day schedule. What you are giving up if you go half day is 1) more creative learning, 2) more creative art and other 'centers', 3) more social interaction in a structured setting. If you feel your child is too smart for Kindergarten then have her test into 1st grade.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 AM

58 posts, read 130,260 times
The full day isn't for extra academics - it's so the schedule can accomodate the "fun" stuff like specials, center time, 30 min for lunch and 30 min for recess. I was wary of the full day too but after the first month or two (where my daughter was tired in the evenings) I was SO GLAD she was going the whole day. She truly loves it and was ready for it - I think most kids are, honestly. My friends (in other states) with children in half-day programs feel like there is too much intense academics crammed in that 1/2 day.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:00 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoranges View Post
The full day isn't for extra academics - it's so the schedule can accomodate the "fun" stuff like specials, center time, 30 min for lunch and 30 min for recess.
You forgot about PEPI! I'm still not exactly sure what that is, but it's my son's favorite part of the day. Somehow the high school kids come over and play games with them.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:25 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
^^ My DD loves her PEPI "friends" too....it's for HS kids who think they might want to go into teaching....they go to the elementary schools and do P.E.-type stuff with the little ones. They love it!

Old 05-23-2011, 04:24 PM

58 posts, read 130,260 times
huh, we don't have PEPI! I'm sure I would have heard about that one - sounds fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary