Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:38 PM

122 posts, read 288,543 times

Advertisements

NRG-Your garden rocks!!

I did the square foot gardening thing too, for my mom. I just build the boxes and fill 'em up. My mom has the green thumb, not me. This is the first time we're trying the boxes. I've built her 4 so far. More next year I suppose. I did get better with each one. My mom planted a ton of veggies, herbs and some flowers too. We're also trying to grow strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and sweet corn. This pic if from when we first planted stuff. I should take another pic now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 09:16 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times
IAPonygirl, very nice!!! Your mom is lucky to have you to help her! More pics!

Old 05-26-2010, 04:57 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,235 times
I just had to replant some of the green beans so according to ED you're okay!

Old 06-15-2010, 04:16 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,235 times
Enjoying the veggies-of-our-labor with wonderful yellow squash, cabbage, cuc's, peppers and zucchini. It's been so fun to make a batch of spaghetti and then go out to your own garden and pick bell peppers for the sauce. I recently made homemade coleslaw with cabbage and my husband never eats it but liked it this time around.

This is my wonderful neighbor that got it all going for me. Here he is with his super sized squash

My tomato bushes are packed and just need to ripen. At each green post we planted a sunflower seed so the stalks are really taking off.

A bountiful harvest

Old 06-15-2010, 07:58 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times
Jealous, I have no peppers or cukes yet, just flowers. Many of my squash are aborting, too.

When did you plant out?

Mostly I am waiting for the TOMATOES.....I won't have any ripe ones until July at the rate things are going. Some green fruit but nowhere near full size or blushing yet. I just can't wait!

You're doing really well with your garden, good for you!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:38 PM

746 posts, read 2,247,949 times
wow that looks awesome!!

question - have any of you seen the little menacing gray looking bugs - almost like large aphids - on the underside of your zuchini ? My plant went from 4 ft tall and 5 feet across to needing 8 leaves removed because of little copper-colored eggs (maybe 25 in a cluster on each leaf) with one leaf with this little demons on it. darn. I gave the last big zuchini to my neighbor and now I'm bummed that the plant might not make it because of these creeps. Any non-chemical advice ??

Old 06-16-2010, 03:04 PM

398 posts, read 1,292,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
wow that looks awesome!!

question - have any of you seen the little menacing gray looking bugs - almost like large aphids - on the underside of your zuchini ? My plant went from 4 ft tall and 5 feet across to needing 8 leaves removed because of little copper-colored eggs (maybe 25 in a cluster on each leaf) with one leaf with this little demons on it. darn. I gave the last big zuchini to my neighbor and now I'm bummed that the plant might not make it because of these creeps. Any non-chemical advice ??
I have read that ladybugs do the trick in removing aphids. I know you can purchase them on Amazon. Good luck.

My potted garden looks nothing like the ones upthread. Congrats to all the farmers/gardeners out there. I am working on banana peppers, bell peppers, and a multitude of herbs (cilantro, parsley, oregano, etc). I've been coupling that to mostly local produce and my family has never eaten better!

Old 06-16-2010, 03:51 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
I'm so jealous of all the fresh veggies you all are getting!

We used to have a pretty large veggie garden in NY but we can't have one here. We don't have any area of our property that gets enough sun to grow anything other than shade plants.

I'm tempted to cut down about 6 trees in my yard to give me a nice, sunny corner but the cost and hassel with the HOA keeps me from doing it.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:07 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
wow that looks awesome!!

Those are called squash bugs. They have been a menace since I started gardening. Get contol of them quickly because they reproduce like crazy. Next year will be far worse than this year of you don't burn all the infected plants with the eggs all over them.

Hand pick whatever you can and drop them and their eggs into a cup of soapy water. Insecticidal soap may help as well as garlic spray (7 cloves of garlic, 1TBSP cayenne pepper powder. place in container and pour hot but not boiling water over the garlic/pepper. Let steep a couple days. Strain and store in a spray bottle). Some plants, like butternut, are resistant. One year, everything else was eaten alive by the squash bugs and our butternut was gorgeous. This year, I've seen no squash bugs but the deer (or bunnies) are eating my butternut.

I've had a horrible time with blossom-end rot this year. Too much rain, I guess?

Old 06-16-2010, 05:20 PM

746 posts, read 2,247,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnowapefamily View Post
I have read that ladybugs do the trick in removing aphids. I know you can purchase them on Amazon. Good luck.

My potted garden looks nothing like the ones upthread. Congrats to all the farmers/gardeners out there. I am working on banana peppers, bell peppers, and a multitude of herbs (cilantro, parsley, oregano, etc). I've been coupling that to mostly local produce and my family has never eaten better!
an even easier approach to aphids - believe it or not - is planting banana skins (this works around rose plants- they offer no protection against Japanese beetles or deer though!) Aphids apparently can't stand the taste the banana gives off.

It is squash bugs. I looked them up online before coming back to the thread. UGH they are awful! I too have a multitude of butternut (all volunteers) that are not being effected by the little demons. Will my zuchini survive I wonder ?? I put the leaves into my very hot compost pile - I hope that burns them all.

My fennel looks awesome, and I picked my first tomato today - an heirloom beauty! and I have one lone watermelon trying to eek out an existence!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary