Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:48 AM

40 posts, read 148,362 times

Advertisements

This thread is prompted by me visiting the Golden Belt in durham nc for the first time. To say the least, I was blown away and can see exactly what's in-store for the once dilapidated area in downtown durham that it sits. My question is, what are the top downtown attractions in the triangle area. In numerical order mine are:

1.) The Golden Belt : What a success story. Located on the once gutter East Durham, the Golden is this year's place to be. Art, food, residential. I felt at home when I step foot in that area. You talk about nice. WOW. I was simply blown away. Cut from a gutted warehouse in a bohemian setting, this place is what Durham will be about in the next 5 years. Think French Quatur, the Pearl...

2.) American Tobacco Campus : This area pretty much carries the downtown area of Durham aesthetically, culturally, and economically. The food is great at local restaurants such as Tylers, and Mellow Mushroom. This is like the triangle's version of the Harbor in Baltimore. This is the top attraction in the triangle.

3.) Glenwood South : Nobody can deny the bustle. It you want lunch, come here. Dinner, come here. Glenwood South is the white collared niche of Raleigh that is solely the place to be if you are looking for a populated space with people from a higher echelon. Very upscale, Glenwood south is like no other place in the triangle. Though many call it bland in more gritter parts, this place is the pasty equivalent to SoHo.

4.) Main Street : (Durham) Just imagine 5 years from now.

5.) Franklin Street : The once bustling franklin street has seen better days. This area is not what it use to be and locals know it. Now, it is here in the triangle but lags. What can be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 08:15 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,091 times
I think the DBAP and DPAC are also in the top five.

I also really like the Golden Belt. I can see it helping that part of town over the next few years. And of course love American Tobacco Campus. I've always liked Franklin St., but haven't been lately. I haven't experienced Glenwood South recently so can't comment on that yet.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:26 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby420 View Post
5.) Franklin Street : The once bustling franklin street has seen better days. This area is not what it use to be and locals know it. Now, it is here in the triangle but lags. What can be done?
There's no question W. Franklin Street is underwhelming. My personal view is that Chapel Hill overemphasizes the importance of Franklin street in relation to its value to the town, so I personally don't care much what happens with it - there's much else in Chapel Hill besides a few blocks of a single street. But change is on the way. Both the town and the University have major projects planned for or near Franklin Street. And if they are successful in relocating the homeless shelter away from the Columbia/Rosemary area it would help clean up the panhandling problem on Franklin Street. (Although there is much controversy about the relocation proposal.)

Old 03-19-2010, 08:48 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,698,751 times
I agree that Chapel Hill and Franklin St have seen better days. It seems that for the past 20 years or so, there's been a decline as the city and landlords got more negative towards visitors. Parking is ridiculous, rents are high, and now there are so many closed store fronts, it looks like a depressed town. Add all the commerce in Durham and Southpoint Mall, and why go to Franklin St to shop anymore? Carrboro at least still seems to have a good sense of community and is nice to hang out around - Weaver St. and Main St. in particular. Franklin St used to be great because of what it was and the lack of any other area like it, but now Carrboro is more developed, downtown Durham is more developed, and Fayetteville St in Raleigh and Glenwood S are more developed, and really offer a better experience imo.

When I think of interesting places in the Triangle, there's a lot of ground to cover though. Depends on what you're looking for really. Shopping? Restaurants? Parks? Free parking?

Old 03-19-2010, 09:06 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby420 View Post
This thread is prompted by me visiting the Golden Belt in durham nc for the first time. To say the least, I was blown away and can see exactly what's in-store for the once dilapidated area in downtown durham that it sits. My question is, what are the top downtown attractions in the triangle area. In numerical order mine are:

1.) The Golden Belt : What a success story. Located on the once gutter East Durham, the Golden is this year's place to be. Art, food, residential. I felt at home when I step foot in that area. You talk about nice. WOW. I was simply blown away. Cut from a gutted warehouse in a bohemian setting, this place is what Durham will be about in the next 5 years. Think French Quatur, the Pearl...

2.) American Tobacco Campus : This area pretty much carries the downtown area of Durham aesthetically, culturally, and economically. The food is great at local restaurants such as Tylers, and Mellow Mushroom. This is like the triangle's version of the Harbor in Baltimore. This is the top attraction in the triangle.

3.) Glenwood South : Nobody can deny the bustle. It you want lunch, come here. Dinner, come here. Glenwood South is the white collared niche of Raleigh that is solely the place to be if you are looking for a populated space with people from a higher echelon. Very upscale, Glenwood south is like no other place in the triangle. Though many call it bland in more gritter parts, this place is the pasty equivalent to SoHo.

4.) Main Street : (Durham) Just imagine 5 years from now.

Ok we get you love Durham.Question is why are you promoting it every chance you get.Very curious.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:07 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
I think the new city plaza in downtown Raleigh is a nice destination. It was the site of the ice skating rink this past holiday season, has a couple of new places to eat (including a zpizza coming soon) with outdoor seating and will be the new location for the DT Raleigh Farmer's market starting in April.

You can see pictures of City Plaza taken during the Raleigh wide Open Event on the following websites:

Raleigh Wide Open 4 at the new City Plaza - RaleighSkyline.com – Original Photography from the City of Raleigh, North Carolina by Matt Robinson

Luster Studios - Raleigh Wide Open Downtown Fayetteville City Plaza

Old 03-19-2010, 09:21 AM

167 posts, read 566,812 times
I agree about city plaza. Fayetteville street is my favorite place to be in the triangle!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:33 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Since my time in both Durham and Chapel Hill is very limited, I'll leave it to the experts as to what's "tops" in those DT's.
Since I live part time in DT Raleigh, I know it much better. I am going to be specific and try to list some things that others might not know. I don't know if it would actually be the top 5 attractions or not but it's a start. Here's my list:
1. State Capitol - Often passed up for more exciting adventures, the Capitol offers a really nice glimpse into NC's past. The halls are preserved and you can really get close to the history of the state. Plus, you can actually look into the governor's office.
2. IMAX at Marbles Museum - No better way to see the latest blockbuster or nature film.
3. The rooftop terrace of Solas on Glenwood Ave. - The only al fresco bar experience I have found in the Triangle that could actually do well if it were in South Beach.
4. The Progress Energy Center of the Performing Arts - This 4 hall venue serves up travelling Broadway plays, opera, the symphomy, local theater and more.
5. Father and Son - kitchy 'antique" store filled with campy junk, mid century furniture, odd relics, old clothes and urban art.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:38 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Since my time in both Durham and Chapel Hill is very limited, I'll leave it to the experts as to what's "tops" in those DT's.
Since I live part time in DT Raleigh, I know it much better. I am going to be specific and try to list some things that others might not know. I don't know if it would actually be the top 5 attractions or not but it's a start. Here's my list:
1. State Capitol - Often passed up for more exciting adventures, the Capitol offers a really nice glimpse into NC's past. The halls are preserved and you can really get close to the history of the state. Plus, you can actually look into the governor's office.
2. IMAX at Marbles Museum - No better way to see the latest blockbuster or nature film.
3. The rooftop terrace of Solas on Glenwood Ave. - The only al fresco bar experience I have found in the Triangle that could actually do well if it were in South Beach.
4. The Progress Energy Center of the Performing Arts - This 4 hall venue serves up travelling Broadway plays, opera, the symphomy, local theater and more.
5. Father and Son - kitchy 'antique" store filled with campy junk, mid century furniture, odd relics, old clothes and urban art.
Where is father&son.I would love to check that out.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:06 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithiekat View Post
I agree about city plaza. Fayetteville street is my favorite place to be in the triangle!
mine too!

i love the ATC, and franklin street as well. i didnt see it 20 years ago, but as a newcomer, it's a fun, cool place to visit, esp with UNC campus and weaver st market nearby. reminds me of northampton back in MA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary