Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:18 PM

98 posts, read 131,565 times

Advertisements

Went to North Hills to do some shopping and have dinner. It has been quite some time since I have been there. It was really impressive. The place has grown so much. It has a real good feel to it. So much better than Cameron Village down the road a piece. On the downside, the traffic was nutso. I really don't know how people can want to be around that all the time, but it makes for a great way to blow off a few hours. It's a great place to visit a couple times a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 06:33 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornfed View Post
Went to North Hills to do some shopping and have dinner. It has been quite some time since I have been there. It was really impressive. The place has grown so much. It has a real good feel to it. So much better than Cameron Village down the road a piece. On the downside, the traffic was nutso. I really don't know how people can want to be around that all the time, but it makes for a great way to blow off a few hours. It's a great place to visit a couple times a year.
IMO, the biggest drawback to North Hills is Six Forks Rd. If Six Forks had the scale and traffic of Lassiter Mill, it would be heaven! Where Cameron Village trumps North Hills is in the more pedestrian feel of its immediate neighborhood.
For North Hills to really feel unified, there's going to have to be some sort of pedestrian bridge built over the busy road. Because, frankly, as is, very few people will be willing to walk from one side to the other. Having to drive ones car from the West side to the East side sort of defeats the purpose of building a more pedestrian friendly project.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:46 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I thought North Hills was nice, but it felt like the development was very poorly done. It felt like it had been done in phases, with everything too crammed together. On top of that, the design of the buildings didn't feel consistent too me. Maybe they used two many architectural styles when designing the facades. I also thought the flow of traffic was poorly planned, both the outside entrance and inside the mall. I still prefer Cameron Village but I wouldn't avoid North Hills. I don't get down there much because I'm in NW Raleigh.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:19 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I thought North Hills was nice, but it felt like the development was very poorly done. It felt like it had been done in phases, with everything too crammed together. On top of that, the design of the buildings didn't feel consistent too me. Maybe they used two many architectural styles when designing the facades. I also thought the flow of traffic was poorly planned, both the outside entrance and inside the mall. I still prefer Cameron Village but I wouldn't avoid North Hills. I don't get down there much because I'm in NW Raleigh.
I agree. I like Cameron Village better too. But, I do like that N. Hills has a movie theater and a target. If not for those two amenities, I'd just stick with Cameron Village exclusively.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:49 AM

13 posts, read 42,250 times
It is ok but too much of a "Cookie Cutter" feel like all the other similar developments going up in Raleigh, Durham, etc.

It would be nice to see something in Raleigh that was truly unique on a nationwide scale. Too bad it doesn't seem anyone has enough vision to do something like this. Just compare downtown Raleigh to other downtowns and you'll understand what I mean.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:15 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
I would have liked it much better if it was pedestrian only.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:20 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
They are going to build a bridge over Six Forks in the master plan. It will be a lot better then.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:36 PM

23 posts, read 57,175 times
I really enjoy North Hills and the development that has been done. Sure there are things that could be done better, but I think overall it is a very good development and something Raleigh should be proud of. I think it is unique and not a "cookie cutter" project.

Cameron Village does have a more neighborhood feel around it, but other than that Cameron Village is a plain strip mall with some good stores and restaurants. North Hills has issues with traffic, but I always find it easy to park if you use the underground parking. I find myself at both locations frequently and enjoy both.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:48 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
They are going to build a bridge over Six Forks in the master plan. It will be a lot better then.
I thought that got nixed because the developer wanted the city of Raleigh to pay for it and the city said no?
In any case, it's definitely better than it WAS, but I also don't think it's anything special or particularly impressive. It's basically the same stores you find everywhere else and the traffic sucked. I've been a couple times because other people have invited us to go and it was fine. If I lived right in the area, I'm sure I'd use it, but I wouldn't make a special trip to go hang out there.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:25 PM

98 posts, read 131,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaPEn View Post
I really enjoy North Hills and the development that has been done. Sure there are things that could be done better, but I think overall it is a very good development and something Raleigh should be proud of. I think it is unique and not a "cookie cutter" project.

Cameron Village does have a more neighborhood feel around it, but other than that Cameron Village is a plain strip mall with some good stores and restaurants.
I second that. Besides, North Hills is HUGE and Cameron Village is small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary