Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 06:49 PM

95 posts, read 286,698 times

Advertisements

My family and I had decided not to move. I posted that fact earlier this week, I believe.

Well, lo and behold my husband gets a call from a local government agency in the Triangle area yesterday. They offered him a job. Not a bad one... It is quite a bit below what he is making now. The good thing is that there are raises every 6 mos and a good amount of overtime so he can be just below what he makes now in 6 mos. They have an excellent retirement. If my husband takes the job they will be very accommodating. They said he can take a couple of weeks to decide whether to take the job or not and we don't have to be there for 2 months. But, darn it, we'd made up our minds to stay here and now we're thinking about moving again! Geez...

Anyway, if you had a job in Cary and you couldn't afford to live in Cary where would you live? We've thought Clayton, but how far would it be in driving time from Clayton to north Cary? How about Durham? Apex? Fuquay?

We may be North Carolinians after all!

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 06:54 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThreeBs View Post
My family and I had decided not to move. I posted that fact earlier this week, I believe.

Well, lo and behold my husband gets a call from a local government agency in the Triangle area yesterday. They offered him a job. Not a bad one... It is quite a bit below what he is making now. The good thing is that there are raises every 6 mos and a good amount of overtime so he can be just below what he makes now in 6 mos. They have an excellent retirement. If my husband takes the job they will be very accommodating. They said he can take a couple of weeks to decide whether to take the job or not and we don't have to be there for 2 months. But, darn it, we'd made up our minds to stay here and now we're thinking about moving again! Geez...

Anyway, if you had a job in Cary and you couldn't afford to live in Cary where would you live? We've thought Clayton, but how far would it be in driving time from Clayton to north Cary? How about Durham? Apex? Fuquay?

Thanks everyone!
I would consider Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina, and the South end of Garner or Raleigh.
Possibly Clayton. But I would start in Apex area. And Cary is more affordable than people realize. Don't be fooled by all the McMansions. And Community loan programs help folks own, too.

Big decision. Hope you get what you really want out of it!

Old 06-06-2007, 06:58 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
I guess it depends on where in cary.....my assumption is with the town of cary? You could live in apex, holly springs or fuquay. Fuquay would be the "longest" commute, but probably not more than 25 minutes? Holly springs is a tad closer, and apex is closer yet. There is also "cheaper" housing in cary, just in part of cary that is not near research triangle park. Cary near cary town center mall, walnut street area...........the homes are older, but you end up with bigger lots with trees!

I think you will have lots of choices.

Leigh

Old 06-06-2007, 07:00 PM

401 posts, read 1,624,119 times
You might look into the Cleveland area, also refered to as 40-42. It is 20 miles east of Cary on I-40, but not too bad a drive(except during rush hour...which is no worse then anywhere else I guess).

Old 06-07-2007, 01:00 AM

460 posts, read 2,422,105 times
WOW I am so excited for you. See how things work out jus when you think it is not going to. Congrats.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:04 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,969 times
Sending positive thoughts to ya on this very hard decision. In our dh's industry, you CAN make decent money here but its not like where there are unions. But the raises also are different (better) and there's more room to wiggle in this area. For instance, my dh's job changed his title so that he could be secure (they love him) being that he was low man for seniority. If the job has to cut back, he won't go now because he's the only one with his title and he's needed.

Anyhow, its good that you have some time to think on it. Keep us posted!!
Lauren

Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 AM

770 posts, read 3,680,813 times
I agree with the Cary native, I was just in the Cleveland area over the weekend and it is very nice with a Clayton address. I stayed at a hotel near Crabtree Valley mall and it took us 20 minutes to get from the mall to 40/42 area. We looked at a development called Summerset Place, this was a new development. However there are lots of place in the area. I posted a link to a great home search site, check it out. It makes it soo much easier to search!

Old 06-07-2007, 01:13 PM

250 posts, read 1,245,983 times
Congratulations! I would agree with Mike that there are many nice neighborhoods in Cary that are very affordable. Apex, Holly Springs, Morrisville and even S. Durham might be good locations as well. I would try to avoid a long commute given gas prices.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:42 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThreeBs View Post

Thanks everyone!
WOW! You know what they say about a door closing and another one opening! We are moving to Durham. Bought a house in SW Durham. Kids will go to Creekside Elementary. There have been many post about Durham Public Schools on this forum. Basically if you take socioeconomic factors into account Durham scores the same as Wake on things like SAT. Thanks to BullCityRising for posting a doc education us all.

Other places to look: Holly Springs (but it seems like it is getting more expensive... since it's right outside of Cary). Chatam County... Northern Part. Fuqua Varina.

Remind us what sort of place you are looking for and that might help us a bit.

BTW, I think I'd rather sleep on a bed of nails than do the commute from Clayton to Cary. UGH!

Good luck deciding!! Take a deep breath and make you up a pros and con list.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:01 PM

460 posts, read 2,422,105 times
Does anyone have a web site for Summerset Place?
I don't think I even looked at Cleveland area. Is that in Clayton or near it. Sorry to come late to the table lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary