Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 07:17 PM

165 posts, read 434,475 times

Advertisements

Possible relocation here. Looking for a single-story ranch home with at least 1800 sq feet less than 20 years old on about .25 acres (less than 1 acre), under 350K. Seem to get more hits in the 27603 zip code of S. Raleigh, but don't want to be so far from amenities like CVS and groceries. Don't know enough about that area (including King's Ridge subdivision). Also would need to travel to MD at Duke/Durham often. Is that too far of a commute, realistically? If so, where are the homes that would fit my criteria (outside of Durham)?....sorry to be so long winded. Need suggestions please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 07:27 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
That zip is Garner, but it runs down towards Fuquay-Varina. Plenty of housing to meet your specs, shopping centers are nearer Garner and out US 70. F-V has plenty of shopping. Lotsa grocery and fast food, not so much a nice mall, but Cary is not far.
Duke -Durham is a good 45 minute run for me, though.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:32 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relo-NC View Post
Possible relocation here. Looking for a single-story ranch home with at least 1800 sq feet less than 20 years old on about .25 acres (less than 1 acre), under 350K. Seem to get more hits in the 27603 zip code of S. Raleigh, but don't want to be so far from amenities like CVS and groceries. Don't know enough about that area (including King's Ridge subdivision). Also would need to travel to MD at Duke/Durham often. Is that too far of a commute, realistically? If so, where are the homes that would fit my criteria (outside of Durham)?....sorry to be so long winded. Need suggestions please!
Ouch.

I thought like Staples, "That was easy..." and then I did a search.
Doesn't it make you nuts when agents list two story and 1.5 story homes as 1 story, just to make you look?

27603 runs from near downtown Raleigh to pretty rural, below NC42, to Johnston County.

I would think it would be a bother to run to Duke routinely from the lower end of 27603.

So, I did a search, to tell you about all the opportunity in NW Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville, Apex, and there just isn't a lot.
You can add a couple in Wake Forest, and the Park at West Lake.
I would choose to run to Duke from Wake Forest, but some of the choices are somewhat rural there too. Just a better drive to Duke.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:44 PM

Thanks for checking. Quite disappointing, esp. since my heart wants to live in Cary/Apex. Those areas are so close to everything I could possibly want/need. I don't know enough about Wake Forest. How would you describe it in comparison to Cary or Apex?

Old 04-13-2010, 08:13 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
27603 is huge. I used to live within the Raleigh city limits just off Tryon Road (Tryon Pines subdivision) in nice suburban-esque neighborhood in a somewhat marginal/sketchy area of the city. A couple miles north of our neighborhood and you were in downtown Raleigh; a couple miles south and it was pure country. It's not really considered one of the 'nicer" zipcodes in wake county but as long as you stay out of some of the sketchier areas of south Raleigh (again, within the city limits not the huge swath of rural unincorporated land often referred to as "south Raleigh") and west/northwest Garner you can be in a nice safe quiet neighborhood where your money will go pretty far in buying a house (schools may be an issue though).

Old 04-13-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks for checking. Quite disappointing, esp. since my heart wants to live in Cary/Apex. Those areas are so close to everything I could possibly want/need. I don't know enough about Wake Forest. How would you describe it in comparison to Cary or Apex?
It is easier to be rural in Wake Forest, but also near a charming downtown.

Also, there are more choices if you would be willing to open your search to .22 acres.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:43 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
First of all, you can get your size in your budget in Cary if that's what you really want. That said, 27603 is enormous. On its north end, it is in downtown (not just near it). For instance, the Glenwood South district DT is in 27603. As it heads south out of DT, it spreads wider into Wake County.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:48 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
I live in 27603 (corner of Ten Ten and Lake Wheeler Rd). . . . . .which is about as far west as you can get in 27603 before spilling over into 27606. I work in RTP and hate the drive (about 30 minutes, but I stagger my work times by 30-60 minutes to miss rush hour), so I can't imagine going all the way to Duke. How often would you be making this trip? If it's once a week, then maybe OK. . . if you can avoid rush hour. . . .but there is no way I'd do that as a 8-5 M-F commute.

Here is a good zip code map courtesy of our friends at CD.
//www.city-data.com/zipmaps/Ral...-Carolina.html

Old 04-14-2010, 01:39 PM

Thank you everyone for your posts. I guess I was a little ignorant asking about 27603....I did not realize how large of an area that was. I will get out the Raleigh map and take a closer look. I didn't want the drive to Durham to be so tedious. I'll also look into .22 acre homes and see what I come up with. I must have a one-story home for health reasons (would allow a bonus upstairs)--that is critical. And even though I'm sure I'll enjoy neighbors, I don't want to be able to hand them a cup of sugar from window to window. At least that's not for me. I like a little space between us.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your posts. I guess I was a little ignorant asking about 27603....I did not realize how large of an area that was. I will get out the Raleigh map and take a closer look. I didn't want the drive to Durham to be so tedious. I'll also look into .22 acre homes and see what I come up with. I must have a one-story home for health reasons (would allow a bonus upstairs)--that is critical. And even though I'm sure I'll enjoy neighbors, I don't want to be able to hand them a cup of sugar from window to window. At least that's not for me. I like a little space between us.
The upstairs bonus technically makes it a 1.5 story home and searching for 1.5 story homes may give you more usable results.

It also will bring in a lot of homes that don't interest you, low-country, cape cod, etc, with bedrooms on the second floor.

I suggest you cast that wider net and cull out the ones that won't work, rather than trying to focus too closely on your exact parameters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary