Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 20,185 times

Advertisements

My wife, children, and I are heading to Bragg next summer. I've seen some excellent posts on different areas to live, but I was hoping to get some more tailored advice. I'm slated to go as a JAG to 82nd HQ so that's my ultimate destination. We want to live in a nice area, with good schools, and close shopping amenities (big box stores). We are thinking of either Pinehurst or around the Holly Springs/FV area. Can any one provide the most efficient routes from that area? Expected commute times to 82nd HQ? If a lot of military folks commute from that area? Where to find out information on schools? Any real estate agent recommendations? Specific neighborhoods that are good for young children (safe with other children around, etc) in the ages of 4.5, 2.5, 16 weeks. Thanks! Best, Dac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 12:16 AM

37 posts, read 215,498 times
I would reccomend the Fuquay area because it is a good location for you to get to Bragg easily down 401 or 751, and gives the most options for your family and kids to get to Holly Springs, Apex, Cary, and Raleigh- all within 25 minutes of Fuquay or less. As a life longer here in Fuquay, I can speak that it is a great place to grow up and raise a family.

Pinehurst is a great town, but not alot of action around those parts that I am familiar with, and the family may get bored. Check out Google maps for approximate road trip times. I think an hour gets you to Bragg from Fuquay.

Schools are a can of worms around here, and there is plenty of information on here regarding Wake County Schools. Wake County Schools support the mid and north side of Fuquay, and Harnett County Schools support southern regions of Fuquay. As you get into the Harnett area, increase your time to the above mentioned cities by 10-15 minutes. I have family in Harnett Schools, and they seem to do a good job.

Bobby Elkins with FM realty is a good, reputable guy that also is a life longer around here and can educate you on all the different subdivisions. He can tell you history, expected square footage rates, recent history, and give you a good sense of what each neighborhood is like. There are also some other good realtors on this site that are frequent responders and have good reputations around this area as well.

There are many subdivisions that would be able to support the age range and family size you spoke of, and I would recommend you get a list of some from the realtors, visit, and then create another post after you visit to get some specific feedback on each that you felt met your goals.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:46 AM

174 posts, read 407,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db07 View Post
My wife, children, and I are heading to Bragg next summer. I've seen some excellent posts on different areas to live, but I was hoping to get some more tailored advice...
I have spent the last 16 years in the Triangle area, and while here have also spent a lot of time in the Pinehurst area, and can tell you that there will be little comparison between the "cost of living" in the Triangle and that in Pinehurst (the Triangle is a more expensive place to live). That being said, I don't know much about Pinehurst schools which is of course of great importance. I would also think your commute would be a big consideration; several people on this forum have written about a "Triangle to Bragg commute" and having made that trip many times, it is a real drive; and personally I would not want to do it every day...

Old 11-09-2009, 10:28 AM

27 posts, read 104,929 times
My in-laws live in Pinehurst so we're there a lot. Many, many military families there. I have been told, but with no first hand experience, that a tax base of wealthy retirees has helped to create a strong school system there. It is certainly a quiet town, but with a great pond and tons of community pools for the summer, lots of good playgrounds and a relatively new system of walking/biking trails that people seem to really like. So, it's quiet but active, I guess I would say. Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,368 times
Check out Southern Pines and Aberdeen, lot's of shopping, very family oriented.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:43 PM

53 posts, read 205,194 times
Wow - that would be a long commute from HS or FV. From what I have seen driving through those towns, they both seem very nice, but it is a long drive down into Fort Bragg. There are also lots of JAG spouse get togethers which are held in the evenings and your wife, if she wants to get involved, would have to trek down to Fayetteville to attend. Its not a horrible drive (just drove today to the Airport at RDU and back) but it's time consuming and on two lane country roads.

There are lots of nice places right here in Cumberland county. The area we live in (Raleigh Road/Long Hill schools) has a bunch of nice subdivisions - Pine Valley, Hunters Ridge, Fairfield Farms, Greystone Farms) Our elementary schools are very, very good. I know many parents who are very pleased with Howard Hall elementary. These are all on the north side of Fayetteville/Cumberland County. I have friends who live in the Haymount area (more urban, but very nice) and Hope Mills (lots of newer subdivisions)

I have a friend who lives over in Southern Pines. She likes her home there and is very pleased with e schools but told me she wouldn't choose to live there again b/c it's a hike to get over to the Fort Bragg side for FRG events and socials. Southern Pines has a really adorable downtown too. I don't know anyone that lives out in Pinehurst.

Good luck in your search. Be sure to check into Cumberland County - there are some really nice places to live here - don't listen to all the bad publicity which is usually received from people who have never actually lived here.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:54 PM

188 posts, read 1,144,225 times
We live in FV and have a few families in our neighborhood who commute to Ft Bragg. I hear the commute isn't that bad. We live in the South Lakes subdivision with 2 kids of our own (ages 3 1/2 and 6 months). FV is a wonderful place to raise a family! It's a great city with more of a small town feel. Big Box stores are here but you can also live in the country if you want. The schools in Wake County are excellent - some of the best in the state. Holly Springs would add another 15 minutes to your commute, and doesn't offer anything that FV can't give you.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
I agree; you should not live in Wake County if you're working at Ft. Bragg. LONG commute. Sanford would be the closest "big town" (other than Fayetteville, of course) to that area. Who told you that Fuquay-Varina or Holly Springs were logical places to commute to from Bragg? Someone who's never made the drive, I'd bet.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:37 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,030 times
Unless you have a very specific reason for being in Wake Co, no way would I live here when you have the same offerings in Cumberland or Lee County and can reduce your commute. I would guess you might save some $$ on housing and taxes being out of Wake Co(?)

Holly Springs makes no sense b/c of the commute. Fuquay is a cute town, not a city. Fuquay-Varina: Home so if you want city offerings, you'd have to drive into Raleigh or Fayetteville. With 100 people moving to Wake County each day, traffic will continue to worsen, do you really want to commute?

Old 12-28-2009, 10:37 AM

306 posts, read 883,043 times
We live in FV, outside the city limits, so we are closer to Raleigh and in Wake Co. One of our closest friends and neighbor works at Pope AFB. He commutes from here everyday and has no problems with it. It takes him 45 min. to an hour. I think it all depends where you are coming from - up North at least it is very typical to travel an hour + from the burbs to a bigger city, so it may not seem like a lot if that's what you're used to. In this area it's not really the norm but it's certainly do-able if this is where you want to live. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary