Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2010, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,539 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'll be moving to Durham for grad school at Duke this fall, and I am not used to the types of apartment settings I've seen so far online. I will probably make a trip down in late May, but I'm wondering if anyone has any leads on apartments that include any (not necessarily all) of the following:

- Secured parking: I'm used to apartment buildings with keycard entry lots or garages. Most of what I've seen is open lot-based, or behind very nonchalantly monitored gates (e.g., always left open).

- Covered/garage parking: Not necessarily secured, but I'd be a lot more comfortable with a covered/garage situation. I've looked at Station Nine, which seems to have this set-up.

- Internal entry access: single-building apartments, where the apartments are accessed from inside, instead of the exterior access a la Pinnacle Ridge, etc.

I hope this didn't sound too high maintenance; I'm a female who will probably be returning from a lot of late-night studying, so the safer the better! Station Nine seems to be my best bet so far, but it's expensive.

Thank you so much in advance for anyone who can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 09:54 PM

862 posts, read 3,550,277 times
I'm not sure of the name of this complex, but I *think* I know of one in SE Durham (not Brier Creek) near the intersection of TW Alexander and Page Rd (on Page Rd). I'm pretty sure they're townhouses with attached garages. I'm not even sure if they are for rent or for sale, but maybe this is a lead that someone else can fill in the blanks for. You're right that there aren't too many here that fit that requirement.

Have you checked apartmentguide.com? I believe you can narrow complexes down by parking options.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:43 AM

70 posts, read 168,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
I'm not sure of the name of this complex, but I *think* I know of one in SE Durham (not Brier Creek) near the intersection of TW Alexander and Page Rd (on Page Rd). I'm pretty sure they're townhouses with attached garages. I'm not even sure if they are for rent or for sale, but maybe this is a lead that someone else can fill in the blanks for. You're right that there aren't too many here that fit that requirement.

Have you checked apartmentguide.com? I believe you can narrow complexes down by parking options.
I believe you are thinking of The Bridges at Wind River. It's actually located in Morrisville, but they are only apartments and not townhomes. However, some units do have private garages. The community is gated, but the gates stay open for a few minutes at time, so the possibility that someone up to no good may get in is not out of the question.

I've also heard good things about The Lodge at Southpoint, but don't know the specifics of that complex.

Good luck with your search!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:00 AM

305 posts, read 761,569 times
I think you'll find any apartment complex with that kind of parking/security arrangement will be pretty pricy in the Triangle. Have you checked out The Lofts at Lakeview? I seem to recall they have gated parking and interior access units, and it's right next to Duke.

The Lodge at Southpoint (mentioned by pp) and other complexes in that general area generally aren't interior access. Some are gated complexes (Southpoint Crossing and Southpoint Village) but I wouldn't call them particularly locked down. However, the area is very safe and there are a lot of grad students, postdocs, etc. in those complexes with similar lifestyles and schedules. Just another option to consider.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,539 times
Thank you all for the responses! I'll be looking up each of them.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:10 PM

862 posts, read 3,550,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf_ncsu View Post
I believe you are thinking of The Bridges at Wind River. It's actually located in Morrisville, but they are only apartments and not townhomes. However, some units do have private garages. The community is gated, but the gates stay open for a few minutes at time, so the possibility that someone up to no good may get in is not out of the question.

I've also heard good things about The Lodge at Southpoint, but don't know the specifics of that complex.

Good luck with your search!
No, that's not the place. It's on the other side of Page Rd. behind the shopping center going towards Lumley. After looking at the map, I see that there are no complexes named in that area, so it is more likely a subdivision with TH's for sale.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:23 PM

76 posts, read 195,032 times
Some other options that are in and around Duke and Downtown with some of the specifics you mentioned: Lofts at Lakeview, near Duke medical center on Erwin Rd.; West Village Apartments in Downtown Durham less than 5 min. from Duke. Both of these complexes have internal entry access and covered parking. Another complex you may want to check out (although I don't know if it will be finished by the fall) is Trinity Commons also on Erwin Rd. right across the street from Duke Medical Center. Hope this helped some, good luck with finding a residence.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:52 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
No, that's not the place. It's on the other side of Page Rd. behind the shopping center going towards Lumley. After looking at the map, I see that there are no complexes named in that area, so it is more likely a subdivision with TH's for sale.
Are you talking about Indigo townhomes and apartments? I use to live there and it is gated, but left open during the day. Also, the garages are detached.

I would go with something nicer near Duke. The Parc at Univeristy on Pickett Rd. is near Duke and is gated all day. I don't know anything about them though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary