Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 PM

11 posts, read 65,333 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Cary by summer of 2010 and am searching for LGBT-friendly physicians, dentists and other businesses to support. If anyone knows of a particular business or GOOD LGBT service directory I'd appreciate it. I've looked online and it appears there isn't much in that particular area.

(Also, please keep the lectures about why you think it's inappropriate to search for a gay doctor or dentist to yourself, thanks. I personally think it's a valid request on my part to find a gay-friendly medical professional because sometimes gay health issues come up and need to be discussed intelligently, and and I will not be scolded by yet another bigoted, southern medical physician who feels they're in a position to tell me I'm "wrongly" living my life. Yes, they really are out there...ugh. 'Nuff said.)

Thanks for any suggestions on my search!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
I answered your PM

Raleigh is just opening a new GLBT Center which should have such resoucse lists. Formerly, there was a helpline under "Triangle Community Works". I can also put you on an e-list ofr GLBT events that comes out weekly, if you like.

Yes, ignore the ones who want to ***** about why one might want a doctor who understands his personal situation.

-Francois, native and Out in the local community for 30 years

Old 04-28-2010, 09:30 PM

Thanks Francois. Yes, please put me on that e-list. I'd like to stay in the loop!

Old 04-29-2010, 09:06 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,055,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solongflwright View Post
Also, please keep the lectures about why you think it's inappropriate to search for a gay doctor or dentist to yourself, thanks
(Anyone else having problems inserting website links right now? I'm getting all kinds of weird results. Nothing seems to be working including INDENT, etc.)

I think you'll find some other discussions on this board if you search for LGBT or gay etc. I think there was a recent thread about gay friendly doctors. The website of Triangle Community Works, may not list a directory on their website, but I've been told if you call them, they might have some suggestions. I was considering a gay doctor in Cary but put off seeing them because they required a special visit before they would even start seeing you. It wasn't a physical exam, it was a visit just to say "Hi, who are you and what do you want?".

Keep in mind that not every doctor in NC is a flaming bigot. Yes there are some, but I challenge you to find me *any* part of the country that doesn't have someone with a hang up about LGBT patients.

I think we've already gone over the arguments about selecting or not selecting a LGBT provider. I know the board tries to keep things on topic (sort of), but it might help to lose the attitude. I'm gay but I didn't like your comment. It's off putting not just to people who have a problem with what you're asking, but to people who might want to help you. Unfortunately when you post on a board like this, you don't get to tell other people what their opinions should be or what they should write.

Here's a thread on LGBT friendly landscapers

Here's one on LGBT friendly realtors

Here's a thread about a gay friendly doctor in the Brier Creek area of NW Raleigh.

I hope those resources will be helpful.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-29-2010 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: Fixed the links for you!

Old 04-29-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
(Anyone else having problems inserting website links right now? I'm getting all kinds of weird results. Nothing seems to be working including INDENT, etc.)

I think you'll find some other discussions on this board if you search for LGBT or gay etc. I think there was a recent thread about gay friendly doctors. The website of Triangle Community Works, may not list a directory on their website, but I've been told if you call them, they might have some suggestions. I was considering a gay doctor in Cary but put off seeing them because they required a special visit before they would even start seeing you. It wasn't a physical exam, it was a visit just to say "Hi, who are you and what do you want?".

Keep in mind that not every doctor in NC is a flaming bigot. Yes there are some, but I challenge you to find me *any* part of the country that doesn't have someone with a hang up about LGBT patients.

I think we've already gone over the arguments about selecting or not selecting a LGBT provider. I know the board tries to keep things on topic (sort of), but it might help to lose the attitude. I'm gay but I didn't like your comment. It's off putting not just to people who have a problem with what you're asking, but to people who might want to help you. Unfortunately when you post on a board like this, you don't get to tell other people what their opinions should be or what they should write.

Here's a thread on LGBT friendly landscapers

Here's one on LGBT friendly realtors

Here's a thread about a gay friendly doctor in the Brier Creek area of NW Raleigh.

I hope those resources will be helpful.
Thanks much! Also, I really wasn't insinuating ALL, or even most, medical professionals are bigots, BUT... I came from open-minded CA originally (5 years ago) and I've seen some of the absolute worst religious-based (Baptist? who knows...) anti-gay behavior than ever before in my life. It's not daily or even weekly, but it IS very apparent and regular. The last minority group is getting nailed big time here in the south. For example, I have a friend who was outed in front of a 400 person Baptist congregation, then told to leave and never come back. Yes, discrimination still really happens like that here in NC. Sad.

Again, I appreciate the links and suggestions! Take care!

Old 04-29-2010, 12:41 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I for one didn't find his post laden with "attitude" at all, just a little defensive--of the sort of "pre-emptive defensiveness" from someone who has "heard it all before" and was just trying to cut it off at the bud. In fact, the last time someone started a "gay doctor" thread, the comments did in fact start to veer into that "Why are you prejudiced against straight doctors?" etc. line of "interrogation" and I imagine the OP has been confronted with this kind of thing before and was basically just saying "spare me; I'm just looking for information".

Which I have PMed him.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:40 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,408 times
I've live in NC all my life and never really had an issue with it. I think the only thing I ever had come up was during check-in. At the time, I was on my partner's insurance and had to explain who the other girl was on the policy. It took the lady a few minutes and I had to explain "life partner", lol. She finally exclaimed "Oh!" when the lightbulb finally clicked. She then proceeded to tell me I was her first lesbian (meaning, to come into that office). I told her I was glad I was her first, then promptly took a seat. Judging about how beet red my doctor was when I went into the office, she heard as well. Other than that, never had a problem. I find people to be more "you guys should have equal rights" then "oh your life is sinful" than anything. I know this might sound horrid, but I'm not a person to protest or anything. It is what it is. I'm more approached by non-homosexuals who want to give me a earful about how gay rights are so unfair.

Good luck, I think you might be surprised at how friendly the folks are down here.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:34 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,117,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I answered your PM

Raleigh is just opening a new GLBT Center which should have such resoucse lists. Formerly, there was a helpline under "Triangle Community Works". I can also put you on an e-list ofr GLBT events that comes out weekly, if you like.

Yes, ignore the ones who want to ***** about why one might want a doctor who understands his personal situation.

-Francois, native and Out in the local community for 30 years
I just sent you a DM, Francois. I'd like to be added to the list also. Thanks!

Old 04-30-2010, 08:42 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
She then proceeded to tell me I was her first lesbian (meaning, to come into that office). I told her I was glad I was her first, then promptly took a seat.
I love how you replied.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,150 times
I would really like to know if you have seen the Dr. in Cary yet and what you think about him. I'm Chuck and I'm looking for a gay friendly Dr. also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary