Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:34 AM

202 posts, read 949,827 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what it would cost (ballpark figure) to move say a 3000sqft house? How much extra to pack it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 08:24 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,083 times
We're packing to move from the house we just sold to a rental a few blocks away--still in Massachusetts! I guess the good news is *if* we decide to go down there, it will be a corporate relo so no packing involved. Just a lot of unpacking.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:28 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,655,083 times
For our last move we packed about 50% and ran out of steam. We hired packers from the moving compant to do the rest.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:37 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
We've used packers twice - the last time ten years ago. You may save time packing, but you'll more time unpacking because they use way too much packing paper. The first time I caught them wrapping things like a bottle opener in tons of paper. LOL.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:57 AM

306 posts, read 1,192,357 times
I can still see Olympia Dukakis in Steel Magnolias saying to Sally Fields "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."

Another one "And this too shall pass." Or as I am sure you feel "Pass Out"

And then there is the song, I don't remember who sings it, but "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow, don't stop......."

And you can try a game with the kids. Place a big box in the middle of the room and tell them whoever throws and get in the most toys gets to seal up the box. Well it was worth a try.

Also try a "pack fest" with friends and family. Pick a day and have everyone come over ready to work. As you are all packing you can visit and spend time together. Friends are always happy to lend a hand. Then you can thank them all by ordering pizza and beer.

My daughter was nine when my mom past away and the house we were sharing, I couldn't afford by myself. So we had many yard sales, and she helped me carry out everything, including furniture, and then back in again stuff that didn't sell. And then when it came to packing up the "non-breakables" and doing last minute cleaning we hired the neighborhood kids that were about her age to come and help and paid them each $10. I gotta say these kids were a God send. Plus little things that I was going to either sell or give to Salvation Army that they wanted, they got to keep. I am sure their moms hated me.

Good luck, keep your chin up, keep the wind at your back, and a bottle of Tylenol within reach.

Char

Old 06-12-2007, 12:27 PM

185 posts, read 992,015 times
well, I've just started packing. I have a 1.5 year old underfoot. i've started playing soccar with her in the house while I pack. and I just work in whichever room she seems to want to be in that day. or several rooms depending how mobile she wants to be. easier to deal with her desires than the screaming.

I'm perging organizing the computer room when she plays in there. packing the dining room when she's running the halls. doing dishes in the kitchen or laundry in the living room when she plays in the living room. nap time is when I shower and eat. I also pack for an hour after everyone except for the cats goes to bed.

tv or music helps with the bordum of packing too.

sorry, it doesn' thelp much but you gotta pack or pay a king's randsom to pay someone to do it.

we had a yardsale this spring. now I'm debating whether I yardsale again with what didn't sell or garbage it. i'm certainly not taking extra stuff cross country!

Old 06-12-2007, 03:17 PM

823 posts, read 3,922,015 times
"Don't stop thinking about tomorrow, don't stop......."
-Fleetwood Mac

Old 06-12-2007, 03:26 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,616 times
I just got done with a move this past weekend-into an apt while awaiting our job transfers to Raleigh (time frame undetermined...)-I feel your pain : )

All I can say is, keep on keeping on and eventually you'll look up and it will ALL be packed. It took me a good week, packing evenings and sunday. That is with 'advance planning' i.e. purging stuff all winter.

We still had too much junk.

I have words of wisdom on moving front-loading washers. They're heavy. REALLY heavy. I will never again place on in a basement...

Old 06-12-2007, 03:29 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,786,025 times
A pot of Dark Coffee for the morning, Few friends and Pizza and beer for dinner. .. that should do it

Old 06-12-2007, 03:31 PM

186 posts, read 549,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithgolf2000 View Post
Anyone know what it would cost (ballpark figure) to move say a 3000sqft house? How much extra to pack it?
Move the house on a trailer? I would just cut my loses and move to another house.

When I moved I bought about 15 of those rubber made Grey tubs from walmart for $4 ea they stack easy and you can carry them nice and reuse them to store other junk after the move. I also use them for dirty cloths and laundry.

The big savings when moving was just giving some of my JUNK away to the willing takers. I then left wash dryer, bed what ever I hated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary