Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 08:40 AM

31 posts, read 60,586 times

Advertisements

My family is reloacting to Wake County due to a job change.

We have found a home in Wake Forest that we like and a brand new home in Wendell, NC that is amazing. It looks like Wendell started alot or subdivisions and the market crashed and the homes are just sitting there. So, a great deal and we are thinking the market will pick back up and we will have made a great investment. The town is clearly a small rural town. The house is 10 minutes from Raleigh, so we can still get to the city to do what we need to do.

We like the Wendell house better than the Wake Forest house, but the schools are a very big issues.

My 2nd year old would be at Carver and my 8th grader would be at Wendell Middle.

If we do the Wake Forest home it would be North Forest Pines and Wake Forest Rolesville middle.

They are coming from a private day school in NC, but am not able to handle that expense this coming year.

All of the charter schools are full....

Any information about the area and schools is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 01:07 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,281,123 times
I think a big factor in deciding between the two will be where your jobs are located. Wendell is a bit of a haul to places like RTP.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:25 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,861,024 times
I just recently met a woman who lives in Wendell and she just isn't into it. Having never been there, I can't speak for myself, but she says it's a long drive to just about everywhere. She bought a house there too, so she's kind of stuck for a while. I'd be sure it's the right place for you before you buy a house there. For me, I think I'd rather have location than my absolute dream house.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:53 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,952,776 times
We looked in Wendell. Infact we found this great fixer upper that could easily be a bed and breakfast that we considered, but Wendell is not growing at all. The people who live there are really not all that big on change and most businesses are not thriving there. This is all from a friend of mine who talked us out of it. She lived there for 13 years and her family still lives there and she says it is not a happening place at all.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:18 AM

153 posts, read 860,605 times
I usually do not stick my 2 cents worth in when it is negative, but Wendell MS has a lot of problems. I will not discuss them here, but feel free to private message me.

I have an honor student child, who has never been in trouble a day in her life, and she had to deal with so much from staff and other students. We moved to get away from that school.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:48 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
Having 4 kids...I can tell you my opinion is that all middle schools are yuck and middle school kids are difficult, at best! And all 4 of mine went to North Raleigh schools, which may have had less "issues" than some others.

So...taking a middle schooler out of private and sending them to Wendell may not be the BEST idea. My suggestion would be to visit the school and see how you feel about it. Sometimes the vibe you get tells you everything you need to know.

As for housing in Wendell, it isn't moving very quickly. I'd hestiate to go into a new n'hood that is having problems selling. Will another builder come in and build small homes, which could impact you? And when it is time for re selling, with all that inventory, it may take you twice as long to sell as other areas.

Vicki

Vicki

Old 05-08-2010, 03:02 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,578,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
We looked in Wendell. Infact we found this great fixer upper that could easily be a bed and breakfast that we considered, but Wendell is not growing at all. The people who live there are really not all that big on change and most businesses are not thriving there. This is all from a friend of mine who talked us out of it. She lived there for 13 years and her family still lives there and she says it is not a happening place at all.
I have to agree. I know the person who owned the land where the big subdivision Wendell Falls was supposed to be built and he said the project is dead. The county has even stopped the development for a fire station confirming that it truly isn't going to be built.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:43 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,160,949 times
Wendell is a neat community that feels like a flashback to the 50's.

Very friendly people and not a yuppie magnet at all.

Not jumping with activity but not everyone wants that kind of convenience.

Worth looking at the town before just writing it off your list.

I have no dog in this race and live on Capital Blvd in North Raleigh.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:09 PM

94 posts, read 248,506 times
Wendell is nice if you like country living with not a whole lot to do. If you're looking to purchase a home as an investment, Wendell is probably not the right place for you.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:31 PM

31 posts, read 60,586 times
You guys are awesome! This input and this forum has helped me so much.

We are moving to Wake Forest. I have 2 homes that I have narrowed it down to.

One is Forest Pines Elementary. The other is Rolesville Elementary. Both Wake/Rolesville Middle and both Heritage High School.

Thanks again so much for all of the input and private message info too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary