Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,077 times

Advertisements

Good Morning, We are in the process of relocating to NC from Northern Sub of Detroit (4o miles north). We bought our dream home on 6 acres 3 years ago and now have a wonderful opportunity to move to NC. We have 2 children - 4 and 7 who both attend a montessori program that we are thrilled with. Our thoughts are to move back to a neighborhood setting (for the kids and adults to meet friends) that has a rural feel. Again, our current home sits on 6 acres and is MUCH TOO LARGE! Any suggestions on neighborhoods in the Clayton area? We would prefer an 1/2 acre + with 3500sft home. Our first official visit is in 10 days. Sincerely, CAN'T WAIT TO GET OUT OF MICHIGAN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 09:00 AM

892 posts, read 3,161,630 times
Most of Clayton has a rural feel. Be sure to check out the Cleveland area of Johnston County too.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:31 AM

420 posts, read 1,397,720 times
There is a house in our neighborhood for sale that fits your specs perfectly, I'd say it's on about 4 acres (wooded beyond the backyard). We are in the Cleveland section. Tons of kids play outside in our neighborhood from sun up to sun down! It's fantastic!

Old 04-18-2010, 10:37 AM

420 posts, read 1,397,720 times
I also wanted to add that while the Cleveland section is great...if I had to do it again I think we'd move a little closer to the 40/42 area. Much easier commute to our work, hospitals we frequent, shopping etc.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:55 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
40/42 feels quite "urban" compared to other areas of JoCo.

Moving from the Lapeer area?

The Cleveland area is really nice. It has 1-5 acre lots, close to many stores and rural enough to appreciate the out-of-doors.

And the new high school opens in September with grades 9 and 10.

Traffic can be tough in and out of the area, but if you are working near by, there will not be much reason to travel too far on a daily basis.

Best of all it is close to the ocean and many other great destinations for weekend trips!

You will also find a few other Michiganders there as well.

We left Detroit a year ago and settled the other side of Clayton near Laurel Glen / Flowers Plantation.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:04 AM

38 posts, read 130,160 times
Left Michigan(East Lansing) last September and am loving it here. I live on the NE side of Clayton in the Riverwood subdivision. Schools are very good and in the subdivision(both elementary and middle). We also have a new High School opening on this side of Clayton in the fall. That should give you an idea of how the area is growing. The Glen Laurel and Flowers Plantation areas are very nice over here as well. There are also a few "executive" or "estate" subdivisions near riverwood where you can have space and a few acres.

Good Luck

Old 04-19-2010, 08:51 AM

450 posts, read 1,350,888 times
There are definitely homes matching you description in Clayton, but 2 questions come to mind: where will you be working and what is your price range for housing? I don't know what prices are like in Michigan, and Clayton is one of the most reasonably priced areas here, but that is an important factor.

I also don't know what kind of montessori options, if any, are available in Clayton, if that's really important to you.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:02 PM

139 posts, read 550,712 times
I've lived in Clayton for more than 10 years so if you provide a little more info on your price range I will be happy to point you to some neighborhoods. I live in the Flowers plantation area and really enjoy it here. Also as FVmommy points out where you will be working is also important in choosing a home here.

Good luck with your move!

Old 04-30-2010, 03:55 PM

34 posts, read 94,095 times
The Wynston Subdivision is a great location as well. Its very convenient to Hwy 70, Hwy 42 and Hwy 40. Lots of families with your children's age as well. Basically convenient to get anywhere.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:51 PM

289 posts, read 489,585 times
Taft Woods, Walker Woods? East Lake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary